Author Topic: Nighthawk clutch problems  (Read 2078 times)

HenrikPoulsen

Nighthawk clutch problems
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:52 pm »
Hey all

Finally got the 650 nighthawk on the road, and enjoying every mile :)

today though the clutch started slipping when revving the engine to fast.

The engagement point for the clutch is so far out that i ony have to move the lever half an inch or so to engage the clutch.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this sudden slipping? the plates springs or something else.
And is there a way to adjust the clutch being that it is a hydralic clutch?

Thanks
Henrik

HenrikPoulsen

Re: Nighthawk clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:22:23 am »
Forgot to mention that the bike had a stuck clutch that would not engage the other day, took it to the shop where they fixed it (the connecting rod going through the engine had siezed due to not having been used for a few years. they fixed this and put in some new clutch fluid

Went by the shop today and got a bit of brake fluid, so Ill try bleeding the clutch and see if this will help a bit.

Regards
Henrik

HenrikPoulsen

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:30:57 am »
Ahh thats a load off my mind, all it was was a little air in the system..

HenrikPoulsen

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:12:43 am »
Well I always did enjoy talking to myself so Ill just keep on going :)

It appears that the problem is a recurring one, so I have had to bleed the clutch every fed days. Naturally this option is no good in the long run. So I have ordered a repair kit for my clutch master and slave cylinders.

I dont think it is the master though, since there is no leaks anywhere, but I might as well fix it now im all greased up anyways.

Henrik

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:56 am »
Great discussion - lot of good advice and such being given.  Really represents the true interactive spirit of these forums... 

Good work, everyone!

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:05:49 am »
I think someone might have helped but I dont know of any sohc4's that have hyd clutches.
I know none of the sohc 650's had them so I've never delt with one.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

HenrikPoulsen

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 05:41:22 am »
I hope noone took my humor the wrong way, just my bad danish sence of humor (Or the lack thereof) :)

I know its the wrong forum for my bike since its a DOHC but you all know so much and i like it here :)

Regards
Henrik

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:07 am »
I thought yours was funny.  I seem to talk to myself more and more. ;D.   I liked the dohc nitehawks.  Old neighbor used to have one and it never gave them any problems.  I know there are guys on the site with them too.

HenrikPoulsen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:19:06 am »
Hey cb650

it is a great bike, sturdy powerful engine (even though mine is the version with only 50 bhp it still goes like a train)

Low maintenance with the hydraulic lifters, self adjusting cam chain, propshaft etc. Only thing I dont like is the look of the headlight and dash (80's square) but that is something I can remedy :)

Regards
Henrik

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »
I nevr liked the idea of a shaft.  But I like to play with gearing and its heavier.  On larger bikes I can see it more.

HenrikPoulsen

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:18 am »
Well as a daily commuter the reliability of the shaft is preferable to me. but once my car is on the road again (1969 MGB GT) I plan on getting my hands on a cb 750 and start myself a little cafe project :)

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 05:03:31 pm »
I've never had a chain fail other than dirtbikes.  Even over 10 years+ of drag racing.

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 06:28:56 pm »
Well as a daily commuter the reliability of the shaft is preferable to me. but once my car is on the road again (1969 MGB GT) I plan on getting my hands on a cb 750 and start myself a little cafe project :)
Shafts are great in some respects, and with a MGB GT, get a couple of "projects". ;D
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

pikeymick

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:58 am »
Well I always did enjoy talking to myself so Ill just keep on going :)

It appears that the problem is a recurring one, so I have had to bleed the clutch every fed days. Naturally this option is no good in the long run. So I have ordered a repair kit for my clutch master and slave cylinders.

I dont think it is the master though, since there is no leaks anywhere, but I might as well fix it now im all greased up anyways.

Henrik

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your clutch? I'm having a similar problem... with the same bike.