Author Topic: CB750 K2 engine number - or not..  (Read 2377 times)

chrisb1958

CB750 K2 engine number - or not..
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:58:35 am »
Hi - hope someone can help me - Ive just bought a basket case CB750K2 import, thats confirmed by the frame plate - BUT there doesn't appear to be any numbers on the engine. The casting where the number should go is there, but theres not a mark on it. It definately hasnt been tampered with or ground off as it has the same sort of light dimpling as the rest of the crankcase castings, and I'm now stumped. Even the import papers don't note any engine number. Anyone come across this one? Cheers - Chris

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
Re: CB750 K2 engine number - or not..
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:10:51 am »
somehow you have aquired a ghost motor. there are no numbers in motorcycle heaven.
  Wait a minute, this one must've come back from the dead.... OH NO! it's a zombie motor! It's gonna eat the camshafts out of your other motors!!!! AIM FOR THE HEAD, AIM FOR THE HEAD!!
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:20:34 am »
Hi - hope someone can help me - Ive just bought a basket case CB750K2 import, thats confirmed by the frame plate - BUT there doesn't appear to be any numbers on the engine. The casting where the number should go is there, but theres not a mark on it. It definately hasnt been tampered with or ground off as it has the same sort of light dimpling as the rest of the crankcase castings, and I'm now stumped. Even the import papers don't note any engine number. Anyone come across this one? Cheers - Chris
I'm not sure what you mean by "import". They were all imports.

If I remember correctly, if one were to order a set of replacement crankcases, they come unmarked, un-numbered.  For example, back when they threw chains and broke the cases (mostly pre-K1), we would order new cases from Honda, and stamp them ourselves to replace the cases we were sending back to Honda for warranty, or destroying under warranty.

You have a basket case, so it would make sense. It was disasssembled for a reason. Do the cases appear new or used. Internal oil stains, scratches where case bolts would have been etc.? Regardless of reason, the previous owner may have ordered them and just never stamped them. No law says they have to have a number. and there may have been other reasons for replacing the cases, accident damage, rod failure, etc.

I remember the shop rebuilding the engine completey on an insurance job, where the accident chipped a little piece off the crankcases behind the chrome points cover. The owner got a free rebuild out of the deal.  Could have been fixed with some JBWeld, but insurance covered it.

The frame and engine numbers never matched on a Honda, and the frame number is all that's required legally.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:30:12 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:32:41 am »
yeah well, it could be that too...
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:48:22 am »
My 73 had blank replaced cases.

If the rest of your motor is 72, it will have 4 round bars cast in between the head fins..looking at each end.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:32 am »
yeah well, it could be that too...

That Zombie thing could have some merit...

Motors have done weirder things than that...  ;)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:08:44 am »
Where are you and what is the number you got?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline wrenchmuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:36:24 am »
My 73 had blank replaced cases.

1+ on what 754 said . Replacement cases did not have any numbers. Make your own . ;D
CB750K1
CB750K4

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:18:59 am »
Somehow ChrisB managed to post this as a reported post when really it should have been here.  8)

Chrisb1958 said:
Sorry - its a US import to the UK... Your comments seem to add up as its pretty obvious the engine has been, er, 'worked on' . (Tools usually help!!) I'm doing a full strip anyway but just needed to know. Thanks a lot mate.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)