Author Topic: Misunderstanding CB500 valve adjustment in manual - HELP  (Read 8632 times)

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
Ok, here is my dilemma.  I am trying to adjust my valves for the 4th time by following the Clymer manual and it says...

Adjust valves for #1 cylinder (or 4, whichever has play) when the T 1.4 is at TDC, rotate 360* then do #4.  Then go on to adjust #2 & #3 the same way when lining up T 2.3 through the peep hole.  Got it.   When I do this, it clicks like crazy.  Obviously this is not right, nor is it good for the engine. 

So I recently got my hands on the Honda CB500 shop manual and it explains it as follows...

When the T 1.4 mark is aligned with the timing mark, I should be adjusting the No. 1 cylinder (inlet & exhaust), no. 2 cylinder (exhaust) and finally the no. 3 cylinder (inlet).  Then rotate the crankshaft one revolution forward again stopping on T 1.4 and adjusting the no. 2 cylinder (inlet), no. 3 cylinder (exhaust) and finally no. 4 cylinder (inlet and exhaust).

Can anyone give me some guidance so I can finally get this right?  I plan to follow the Shop manual tomorrow, but I could really use some reassurance that I'm going in the right direction.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
Re: Misunderstanding CB500 valve adjustment in manual - HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41:59 pm »
follow the shop manual method and you'll be fine

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »
If you want a simple approach, turn the engine over until cyl. #1 intake valve opens, then closes, then continue turning the engine slowly until the TDC mark aligns for 1&4. Adjust the valves for #1 cylinder only.

Do one cylinder at a time (intake opens, then closes, then to TDC for that cylinder) That way you know for sure you have the cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and the rocker arms are not in contact with the cam lobes.

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:06:33 pm »
Well, I adjusted the valves per the shop manual and they still seem to be clicking excessively.  Not quite as bad as before, maybe I just don't have an ear for what it should sound like.  Maybe I'm being paranoid.  Should I be hearing a slight bit of clicking? How much is too much?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:52 pm »
Did you adjust the camchain?

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »
Long answer...

I attempted to adjust it, I didn't want to force it.  Loosen lock nut, self adjust, tighten lock nut.   The adjuster didn't really want to move so I attempted to give it a little nudge but I didn't want to put too much MAN on it.  I didn't want to run the risk of it breaking.

Short answer...

Maybe.

Offline 1timduke

• Hot Shot
  • '75 CB550
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:50 pm »
+1 on the camchain.   Check the oil as well, maybe have a lubrication issue?   Did the clicking happen before the adjustment?

-Tim
The only thing I miss about the South is Waffle House!

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »
Definitely getting oil to the rockers. It was clicking prior to my "adjustment", but now it seems to be louder.  As far as the camchain is concerned, how much force is too much when trying to turn the adjuster screw?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:10:30 pm »
It should turn easily with the nut loose, try it in both directions to see if it'll loosen. If it doesn't co-operate, remove the o-ring and add some loosenut.

Offline Lars

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:47 am »
Shop manual is correct. Otherwise, follow this link:

http://www.hondahobby.no/website.aspx?displayid=1754

Valves poorly adjusted give a ticking noise, cam chain gives a more rattling noise. Poorly carb synch another noise..

Lars
...if you got the ability to act...