Author Topic: Help identifying problem?  (Read 1091 times)

bolo1g2

Help identifying problem?
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:00:33 pm »
Would someone be able to tell me what's wrong in this picture?  I don't think the instruments and where the handlebars sit is correct?  I've seen pics of other bikes and mine seems way off.  It almost looks like a safety issue.  My goal with the bike is to get it into daily rider shape, so I want the instruments, gauges, and handle bars to be correct.  Any comments would be appreciated.  If you could point me in the right direction of what to search on the internet I'd be grateful too. I've tried triple tree, upper bridge and gauges so far.  Thanks in advance.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
Re: Help identifying problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »
looks like your bar mounts have been extended back. normally they sit directly above the fork caps
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:48:36 am »
It appears (from here) that the instruments are from a different year from the mounting bracket. The bracket looks like 1976-and-later, the instruments look like they are from two other years. I would estimate the speedo to be 1974-ish, the tach looks like maybe from a CB750F.  ???
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

bolo1g2

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
I was thinking the instrument lights were from a later year, I didn't realize anything about the speedo or tach.  The guy that sold it to me told me it was a 1975 which I verified by checking the engine number and the frame number.  the handle bars are bent too.  I think it may have been laid down once.  The frame seems straight with no cracks or extra welds.  I think I can get it back to normal, that set up  just seemed wrong to me and thanks for verifying my gut feeling.