Author Topic: Question  (Read 1167 times)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert I ain't no stinken
  • Expert
  • stupid gloripope
Question
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:40:15 am »
If the pulser coil is the reason for the hot start issues would I see any spark at all....or could it be a weak spark...there was some spark.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:42 am »
I tried to take the pulser coil off and what the heck those screws are going to be hard as hell to take off.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:14 am »
I would suspect the ignition coils before the pulser coils.  When coils go bad they give a weak spark.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:39 am »
my grandfather thinks it might be the fuel petcock filter...I dont think so...what the heck would that have to do with heat.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:52:52 am »
also has anyone removed the pulser coil....how did you remove the screws.....

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:11:07 am »
Initially... An impact screwdriver.
A cheapie from Harbor Freight is what I have, and surprisingly, it came with a phillips driver that was a perfect fit for those screws.

You are meaning the pickup(pulser) coils under the right cover on the motor right??
Just making sure I am not mis-interpreting you.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:26:25 am »
you are correct....

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:08:56 am »
I had a DOHC CB750F that the pulsor coils went bad on.  It would run fine until it got hot and then it would drop the spark completely on one of the coils.  I replaced the whole plate (that was the only way that you could get them from Honda at the time) and it fixed the problem.  The DOHC motors were more prone to that problem though because the coils ran in hot engine oil under the left crank cover. 

Ride the bike until you lose power and then keep the engine running and hook a timing light to the various plug wires and see if you get any spark.  Use the timing light that clips around the wire so that you don't have to pull the wire off the plug to check spark.

Tracy

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:07 am »
I have a good one coming ....it should be here today...I am hoping it is just an easy job switching them....do I have to set everything or should everything be ready to rock...it off a used low mileage machine found a guy parting a bike on ebay...

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
also do i have to torque the screws back on or just a hefty tighten

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:58:19 pm »

you will likely have to reset the timing.  No real need to break a wrist tightening the bolts.

TR

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:09:16 pm »
That is crappy never had to do the timing thing.