Author Topic: Your thoughts on swingarm findings ??  (Read 868 times)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Your thoughts on swingarm findings ??
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:01:40 am »
Hi forum,

If this isn't in the right forum spot I'm sorry - moderators please move it if required (thanks)

Two questions for you and also hopefully confirmation of what is needed to be done...

Recently purchased 1981 gsx250 for the son, we are slowly going over the bike, and apart from the
rusty nuts, lots of grease everywhere, some loose bolts - thankfully none appear to be missing..

Well this afternoon was swingarm removal & inspection time - planning to just inspect and regrease/reassemble.
Swingarm showed no sign of movement whilst mounted on the bike, but previous week when test riding round the block
the back end seemed to twitch a little bit - put it down to old tyres, they are probably 15 years old - rock hard.
When I removed the bush on one side it was dry but pretty clean - needle roller bearing was dry but after some
clean up and grease it was good - go to the next side and had trouble removing the bushing - had to use some
multigrips to pull it out - bush was dirty and after cleaing on the brass wheel it shows up quite pitted (forgot photos)
Then cleaned the other bearing and one of the needle rollers fell out.. filled it full of grease - reinserted the needle and
the bush then rolled it round several times - a bit gritty, then used more grease twice and it seems to now be fine.

1. Would you replace both the bushes and bearings ? my thoughts are yes  ,what are yours ??
2. Are needle roller bearings in size 22 x 29 x 30 available from normal suppliers or would I have to go for original items?
Having not removed these needle roller bearings are they a caged bearing?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance - sorry for the long post.... :)

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: Your thoughts on swingarm findings ??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:17:33 am »
err on the side of safety, replace bushes and bearings. a motorcycle isnt the place to try and cut corners, especially when it comes to really critical areas like suspension
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:20:17 am »
thought so - it helps to get reinforcement...thanks

now to find the money...

I know my son can work it off......if I decide to pay for them,
 :D

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:39:30 am »
Its cos Suzuki didnt seee fit to use a grease nipple to lube them in situ! You will find the sreel "bobins" cost more than the bearings and www.cmsnl.com do Suzuki bits as well with ever useful parts lits on the site
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!