Author Topic: 750K5 The Little Stinker  (Read 2799 times)

Offline uthinkimodd

750K5 The Little Stinker
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:22:23 am »
I picked my K5 up for around $1k off of ebay not too long ago. It runs well and has most of the normal leaks and problems you would expect out of a '75 I already did the "just bought this bike" maintenance to include new tires and am happy with what I've got for this riding season. I plan on a complete disassemble after teh first couple signs of unrideable weather.

here's a pic of when I got it.

some new sport bike style bars

a new seat and paint job sure changed up the look

Then I go soo tired of that bulky ugly rear fender and light set I had to change it up.

I've also installed the Campbel Xpipe It's nice. I just haven't taken any pictures yet. I will next time I'm out and about.

so that's where I'm at right now. I'm still fixing things as I go and just having a good time wrenching. come the end of the season I'm sure to have quite a few questions and will be in search of wisdom.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
Re: 750K5 The Little Stinker
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »
I like the overall look. Stock looking tail section is a plus in my eyes. Especially on your bike.

Did you midify the stock fender or something else?

Paint looks classy. Noticeable but not overdone.

I'm especially interested in your x-pipe.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:43:46 am »
yeah we modified the tail... really just cut it off put a new bead on it and made some brackets to mount up the new tail light, the fender still mounts to stock position and works with the inner fender. the only thinkg really different is it's shorter.  I like how it turned out I think it may have gotten a little shorter than needed but the appearance is aggressive and not so over the top to look completely custom.

I'll see if i can't get a video clip up of the bike with the pipe on. the sound is smooth and mid toned, it seems to make more power for me up in the higher RPMs but I think i've got some more carb tunning to do.

Offline Caferacernoc

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:52 am »
yeah we modified the tail... really just cut it off put a new bead on it and made some brackets to mount up the new tail light, the fender still mounts to stock position and works with the inner fender. the only thinkg really different is it's shorter.  I like how it turned out I think it may have gotten a little shorter than needed but the appearance is aggressive and not so over the top to look completely custom.

I'll see if i can't get a video clip up of the bike with the pipe on. the sound is smooth and mid toned, it seems to make more power for me up in the higher RPMs but I think i've got some more carb tunning to do.

Please do. I think you are the first to actually run these. Is the install a pain? I've heard the kit isn't really put together the way they sell it.

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »
it comes in 5 pieces and is rather dificult to get lined up right. there was another one on a more built 750 but he didn't really have a great video of it so actually... I'm going to go out now and get an Idle/rev vid for you guys right now while I'm not doing anythign productive.

I feel that the pipes are cheap and the system itself may not last very long unless chromed it does sound good and looks great but I'll let you all be the judge later tonite.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
Well the  X pipes were run by a lot of smaller shops because the same thinking in car exhaust they applied to a motorcycle.

I know I've built quite a few for KZ's and some XJ's and even one for a CBX, but never even mounted one on my CB.

Come to think of it, that's a good idea.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:26 pm »
here it is this will be my first video.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:37:33 pm »
here it is this will be my first video.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I see nothing man.  :'(
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:04:05 am »
Thanks for posting that video! I've been wondering how one of those pipes would sound for an awfully long time. Also nice to see that it tucks up nicely under the engine.

I like the way it sounds; bet it sounds pretty mean wound out and hauling ass. ;)
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:35 am »
yeah it def sounds a lot smoother from like 6-9k RPMs I'll get a video of that some time but it will be a while.

Havoc- it should be up it's just a you tube video title is cb750k5 Campbell Xpipe

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:09:29 pm »
if anyone else is having trouble seeing it let me know.

I can't wait for some new parts to get here.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:28:34 pm »
I like your rear fender chop.I am so ready to do that to my bike.I already have the same tail light as you but mounted on stock fender. It is one of the things I have left to do to make it more easy on the eyes.I have a few other fenders to play with and just might get after that project this weekend!!! I was happy last year just to get rid of the stock "lighthouse" that Honda thought was safer back in 75'.......hell....with that and the turn sig buzzer......how could you have ever got in a wreck ???
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
Just found it on youtube...

Good lord what a sound!!!

Now I might have to make my own.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »
I'm going to get a riding video up in the next month some time. I think it sounds better on the road and really isn't as loud as it appears in this video.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 04:43:40 pm »
Exhaust sounds great. I really like the tail, too. :)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »
thanks I really like the way it turned out too not a bad look for $35 worth of lights, a peice of scrap stainless, and a little bit of time mixed with help from the sheet metal man himself (my dad). actually from start to finish on that project it only took us about an hour.

Offline uthinkimodd

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:08:58 pm »
so I decided that since that Xpipe was made of such crappy material I would at least get it blasted and ceramic coated. for that I took it down to performance coatings plus in Joplin MO. so in a couple days I'm going to go pick it back up and post up some pictures. and report on the quality of work. the price to me seemed fair enough at around $120 sure I could have done it my self for around $80 but I'll leave this to the pros.

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 05:30:09 pm »
You've made a nice looking bike here.  Like others have mentioned, it's a nice classy looking paint scheme.  The rear fender looks nice.  Just all around a really nice bike.
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html