Author Topic: State Inspection sticker mounts?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline PxTx

• See sig for possible trade?
  • Enthusiast
  • Subs of Philly
State Inspection sticker mounts?
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:10:51 pm »
I'm looking for some creative ideas on where to mount a state inspection sticker on a stock CB750 K5.  I've seen some nice round glass ones for the Euro-bikes.  What have people done state side?

Offline PxTx

• Enthusiast
  • Subs of Philly
Re: State Inspection sticker mounts?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:50 am »
Found this on the web, but was looking for something CB750k specific.  I was hoping a few guys around here might have tried soemthing like this.  I know if can be done more cleanly.

This would be the British version I what I am looking for.  I need one for my Pennsylvania rectangular sticker.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:39:37 am »
What do your state laws say about display? does it have to be easily visible or just visible? must it actually be affixed to the bike or could it be attached to something else and that attached to the bike/
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline PxTx

• Enthusiast
  • Subs of Philly
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:03:58 am »
I don't specifically know what the laws are.  I ride with several Harley guys who have these plates mounted in various areas.  Been pulled over by cops and they ask for the inspection and it was pointed out where the location was.  Never had any problem there.  I guess I could look for specific laws if I cared, but I reall don't.  More interested in seeing ways people have worked around the requirment for displayng the sticker.  My request in not PA specific, but kinda USA specific I guess.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »
See, that was my problem....in ohio we don't have any inspection stickers so I am not sure what to say. I have a lot of ideas on how it could be done, but if you don't care about the laws and just want a method that is visible all the time, give me the size of the sticker, and if you want it permanent or not, and I'll see what I can come up with for you.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:40 pm »
Here in the people's republic they have to stick them on your license plate.  Works great until someone steals your plate the first week out of winter storage and your rear tire won't pass for a new sticker.....

Lesson learned, don't use those cheesey reflectors with wingnuts to mount your plate.

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:06:05 pm »
Here in the people's republic they have to stick them on your license plate.  Works great until someone steals your plate the first week out of winter storage and your rear tire won't pass for a new sticker.....

Lesson learned, don't use those cheesey reflectors with wingnuts to mount your plate.

I have a pad lock on my plate. 'Nuff said.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:37:58 pm »
Mounts for inspection stickers?  Are you kidding?  Saturday I went and got an inspection sticker for my bike and then slapped it on the windshield of my 1978 Ford F250.  (They don't check anything on the bike and then hand you the sticker in your hand... a bike inspection is much simpler process than getting any vehicle with 4 wheels.)  So, I guess you can say that this is my inspection sticker mount:

Doubt it's very legal, though.

T-Bone

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:58:15 am »
Actually, me and friend were just looking into this because he wanted to get his stickers off the forks as well.  Another friend of mine, Moose, his dad builds custom bikes, so we asked him figuring he would have the best idea of what is street legal (I'm from PA too by the way).

According to the law, the inspection sticker has to be mounted to something that is considered "semi-permanent" on the bike.  Meaning that technically a bolt on plate is not legal - however if you run a single pop rivet through that same plate along with the bolts, then it's legal.

Now having said that, he also freely admitted that this is one of those PA laws that tends to get overlooked unless the cop just read it in his manual and he's feeling like a dick.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:08:10 am »

I have a pad lock on my plate. 'Nuff said.

That didn't occur to me, nice idea Sporkfly.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:26:30 am »
I have a parking sticker for work that I must display.  Since the sticker is designed for an automobile windshield, it is sticky on the obverse side, not the reverse.

I cut a square of Plexiglas and tie wrapped it between the winker stem and fork leg.  Works much better then the guys who stick it to the inside of clear tape then jam the tape on the fork.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:34:29 am »
in ny ours are on the fork legs