Author Topic: Boiling carbs in water?  (Read 20095 times)

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
Boiling carbs in water?
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:38 am »
In the process of cleaning and rebuilding my carbs (they're REALLY dirty - been sitting for 15 years).  Came across an article online that suggested one of the best ways to really loosen up all the junk in the passageways is to boil the parts in water.

What do you think?  Could it cause any damage?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: Boiling carbs in water?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:49 am »
I would suggest you knock off the float bowls and soak them in Simple Green to eat up the varnish, no matter what you do you will have to run a fine wire through all of the small passages. No shortcuts if you want to do them only once.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline d_soles

• Enthusiast
  • My two girls...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:19:45 am »
Not going against wisdom here, but I'm a strict believer in not poking wires into holes in carbs.  Sometimes you ding them up, or make said holes wider.  Since carburetors are metering devices (mix a precise amount of fuel with a precise amount of air), when you do those things, you may inadvertently mess up the ratios.  I find a good soak in simple green (you can dilute with a little bit of boiling water if you want to, heat loosens things up, too), followed by a good spraying of the carbs with 120psi air from a nozzle (make sure to get EVERYTHING.  ALL of the holes, ALL of the jets, everything).  And then, do it one or two more times. 
Make sure you can see a prick of light through the pilot/idle/slow jet.  Make sure you have a consistent size hole through all four main jets (I had to use a bamboo skewer to finally clean one main jet out....bamboo is not harder than brass, wood works, too) 

Also, don't forget to take out your emulsion tube.  Sometimes they're stuck in there, but boiling would help to loosen it up.

Doug
'75 CB550F - Field Beater at it's best....

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:58:56 am »
I'm soaking all the parts in a bucket of this stuff.  Seems to be working good so far (after repeated dunking and sitting), but concerned about the inner passageways I cannot see.  You would not believe how dirty these carbs are....seriously!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:05:00 am »
Not going against wisdom here, but I'm a strict believer in not poking wires into holes in carbs.  Sometimes you ding them up, or make said holes wider.  Since carburetors are metering devices (mix a precise amount of fuel with a precise amount of air), when you do those things, you may inadvertently mess up the ratios.  I find a good soak in simple green (you can dilute with a little bit of boiling water if you want to, heat loosens things up, too), followed by a good spraying of the carbs with 120psi air from a nozzle (make sure to get EVERYTHING.  ALL of the holes, ALL of the jets, everything).  And then, do it one or two more times. 
Make sure you can see a prick of light through the pilot/idle/slow jet.  Make sure you have a consistent size hole through all four main jets (I had to use a bamboo skewer to finally clean one main jet out....bamboo is not harder than brass, wood works, too) 

Also, don't forget to take out your emulsion tube.  Sometimes they're stuck in there, but boiling would help to loosen it up.

Doug
Soles is correct if done carelessly you can upset the metering. The safest way is to use a single strand of copper wire from a lamp cord or speaker wire. It is softer metal and what you are really doing is knocking particles loose, that can be flused away with a spray and air. I  is not meant to ram a solid blockage.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
I posted the same question over on the ZRX board and got an offer.  The guy has a 5 gallon drum of the old carb dip that you cannot buy anymore....you know....the kind that destroys the planet and burns the skin off your fingers if you touch it.  ;D

I think I'm going to mail him my carbs....he says he'll clean them up in the dip and agitator and ship them back to me.

Whatcha think?

Offline NickC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »

These work awesome for the small holes.......

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:03:24 pm »
Cool!  What are they? ;D
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »
Periodontal brushes.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline d_soles

• Enthusiast
  • My two girls...
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:58:30 pm »
That's what she said  ;)

Doug

Offline NickC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:12:41 pm »
Yep, any drug store/walmart will have them.

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »
Can anyone reccomend a good tool for the air/fuel passages? I soaked in simple green, blew carb cleaner and canned air through them... still have no idea if there is any blockage still gumming up the passages. Considering (I think) that these are aluminum passages capped by brass, would a pipe cleaner work? Jets, emulsion tube etc. are all clear and spotless.
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 04:33:35 pm »
I also read somewhere that boiling them in lemon juice works wonders. Sounds about right: acidic liquid+heat melts grease.
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline d_soles

• Enthusiast
  • My two girls...
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »
Lemon juice, Coca cola (although I'm sure the sugar would gum up a little if not properly rinsed), many things work on these.  Hell, dish soap and boiling water will work.  And yes, pipe cleaners will work, just be careful with the wire "tip" on them.  Poking things is bad.  Well, for carbs, anyways...

Doug

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
boiling water?  mmmm might have to try that with some lemon juice or simple green.
Keep it shinny side up.

5Dave

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »
Great tips.  I have carb kits on order.  I'll hopefully get started this weekend.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »
i didnt have simple green one night when i wanted to clean some carbs so i took some dawn dish liquid and boiling water. got the carbs really clean then i just shot the carbs and passages with carb cleaner merely to dissipate the moisture.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Clyde

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »
Boiling water and lemon juice makes them look good.
SOHC4 #1909
Honda CB750 K0(original and unrestored), K1(in pieces), K2(restored), F1(restored), 76 750a (awaiting restoration), 1966 Honda CB72
Suzuki GT750 1972 (restored), Kawasaki Z1 1973 (restored)

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 05:47:24 am »
Poking things is bad.

That's what she said  ;)

Doug

Sorry. I'm a 28 yo adolescent.

Offline d_soles

• Enthusiast
  • My two girls...
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 06:11:12 am »
Jeesh, I was waiting for someone to make the link....at least it's nice to know I'm not alone in the boat.

Doug

cycleman

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 07:18:26 am »
The boiling water method is a common way of cleaning goldwing carbs and it works well. The wing carbs have many more small openings than the cb carbs. One of its advantages is that it won't hurt any of the felt washers or small plastic pieces on the shafts. Small guitar strings can help clean jets but heed the warning of enlarging the jets/metering rod holes etc.

Be very careful with any convientional carb cleaner designed for car/truck carbs.  It will destroy any of the above small pieces.

Brake cleaner in the spray cans works well on cleaning carbs & won't hurt the rubber components.

It's also a good idea to never take the carbs off the rack ( unless you have not choice ) as they can be difficult to line up when they are re-installed.

Offline bhkrause

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 11:20:03 am »
Hey, AZ!!!  There ya go, an answer to the "can felt pieces take the water" question!!   ;D ;D

b (bkra13 over yonder) k
78 cb400TII
77 cb750Finabox
current sohc #346
original sohc #2663
01 zrx1200r

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:43 am »
Hey, AZ!!!  There ya go, an answer to the "can felt pieces take the water" question!!   ;D ;D

b (bkra13 over yonder) k

Hey, What's up?!  I knew it would just be a matter of time before you "found" me over here.  Again, thanks so much for the insight...although I've already "dunked" the #1 carb, I'll do the rest as adviced and hope for the best.  Pete (KWICK) has offered to help me since we live about 3 miles from one another.  If you didn't know, he's got a CB400 and CBX!  Not sure if he lurks over here though.

Have a great 4th!

Shawn

patrickd

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »
Best way to clean is first strip down. Remove the nylon bushing from choke rod assy.
Remove float. Go to auto zone buy 1 gal of Berrymans Chem Dip. $20.00.
Soak 2-3 hours and rinse well in a large coffe can of boiling water. Blow dry with compressed air and they will be as clean as new

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 01:00:26 pm »
Best way to clean is first strip down. Remove the nylon bushing from choke rod assy.
Remove float. Go to auto zone buy 1 gal of Berrymans Chem Dip. $20.00.
Soak 2-3 hours and rinse well in a large coffe can of boiling water. Blow dry with compressed air and they will be as clean as new

Mmm I wonder if my auto zone carried that chem dip all other shops told me they outlawed it.
Keep it shinny side up.