Author Topic: 1983 Honda CB650 Nighthawk Hydrolic clutch problems  (Read 5275 times)

wayneb1948

1983 Honda CB650 Nighthawk Hydrolic clutch problems
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »
Hi,
I am new here and i looked and didnt see my question answered so here goes.
I just bought this bike and it wasnt running i do not know how long this bike setup. I have it running but the problem i am having is with the clutch lever. I had to take the slave cylinder apart and clean it up real good then i have bled and bled and bled the clutch i still cannot get  the lever to tighten up to make the clutch engage to move the bike. I know the fluid is going all the way thru it and i did kick it in gear so i know it will move. Any ideas what i need to do to fix this. I have worked on bikes for along time and never run into this problem before.
Any help will be greatlyy appreciated

technojock

Re: 1983 Honda CB650 Nighthawk Hydrolic clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:20:26 am »
It sounds like the seals in the master cylinder are worn.  I'd start with a rebuild kit and go from there.

Tony

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:11:54 am »
Hi,
I am new here and i looked and didnt see my question answered so here goes.
I just bought this bike and it wasnt running i do not know how long this bike setup. I have it running but the problem i am having is with the clutch lever. I had to take the slave cylinder apart and clean it up real good then i have bled and bled and bled the clutch i still cannot get  the lever to tighten up to make the clutch engage to move the bike. I know the fluid is going all the way thru it and i did kick it in gear so i know it will move. Any ideas what i need to do to fix this. I have worked on bikes for along time and never run into this problem before.
Any help will be greatlyy appreciated
Remove the slave cylinder and press the piston into the housing (C clamp vice grips work well but you should be able to do it by hand). Pump the lever and it should start moving out. Reinstall and bleed as normal...it should work and bleed normally.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

wayneb1948

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »
Thanks for your replys
I have had the slave cyclinder completely apart and it is moving freely. I will try this again though thanks alot for answering me

wayneb1948

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:31:18 pm »
Thanks MRieck your tip worked. I have just rode this bike for the first time since i bought it. I have had it about 2 weeks. I am glad my wife found this site IT ROCKS!