Author Topic: Two new problems !  (Read 1050 times)

Hondamagic

Two new problems !
« on: July 11, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
My 77 CB750A has a new issue, and a couple more which need addressing. Today I topped off the tank with fresh gas, since then every couple of miles , it will sputter, miss on one cylinder, and backfire through the exhaust, then be OK for a couple miles. Also, maybe related? I drained the float bowls a few times thinking there may be water in the gas....after each time, when I turn the petcock on, #4 float sticks, after tapping on it with a screwdriver handle it stops, and as long as I leave the petcock on, it's OK. If I turn the petcock off , I will have the same leakage as soon as the bike is running.I have had the float bowl off for inspection, the float is plastic, and floats fine(does not sink), the needles are recently replaced (500 miles), and the seat looks fine. I even swapped needle valves with the old ones, same problem, if I swap the float from one carb to the other, the problem follows to that carb. Floats are set to factory specs, checked and rechecked. 3rd, I switched my regulator , and rectifier to a solid state (used) from an CB750, at idle it shows 12v, and up to 14v under normal riding, if I accelerate hard for a while, the voltmeter jumps to 16v, and stays up there, and only drops to about 14v at idle, until the bike cools down, then back to normal. Whaddayathink????????????

Offline birdmannn101

• My Fixerupper 73 CB750K3
Re: Two new problems !
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:07:24 am »
I didn't see one mention of checking your timing on #1-4 and #2-3.

Dan
CB110
CB160
CB750K
CB750A
S90
CB350Four
CT200
C100
C102
VTX1300

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:26 am »
After checking the timing i would look at the plug that goes with the bad float. You might be running rich in that cylinder.
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline 75cb550 (kyle)

• so you're calling me a
  • Hot Shot
  • KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH
    • My Album
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:45:13 am »
not to ask a dumb question or anything, but you are sure the float moves freely on the pin, right. i had a set of goldwing carbs off that some had boogered the pin up and it would stick.

just a thought.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:47:46 am »
My best guess is that you loosened-up some rust in the upper part of the tank when you filled it and the petcock is almost blocked causing low/slow fuel delivery....... I would remove the petcock and clean it's passages and it's filter. A good idea anyway, even if it's not the culprit....... #4 carb is furthest from the fuel supply and will only get a dribble of gas which will not close the valve = leak... also why did you change-out the stock reg./ rect. ? The solid state ( DOHC ) ones fry the battery when used on the SOHC non-wound rotor type charging system... ' in my opinion'.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:35 am »
Anyone happen to look at the date on the original post? 

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:30:40 am »
HAHAHA !, that's nuts !.... but how did it show-up today with no ' todays date/time' ??
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:03 am »
HAHAHA !, that's nuts !.... but how did it show-up today with no ' todays date/time' ??

It got bumped back to the 1st page because Birdmann responded to it.  "Hondamagic" isn't even a member anymore. 

Offline 75cb550 (kyle)

• so you're calling me a
  • Hot Shot
  • KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH
    • My Album
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:07 am »
Birdmann, raising the dead.