Author Topic: HID headlight install (now with pics)  (Read 8004 times)

Offline david 750f

• Expert
  • 1976 CB750F
Re: HID headlight install (now with pics)
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 02:27:31 am »
That looks a lot brighter than my H4 halogen headlight. Thanks for posting the pictures. I will have to try one of those HID kits.
1976 CB 750F

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 08:58:39 pm »
I bought the 5000k light David.

Your right, pictures do not do this light justice. What we really need is a before and after comparison.

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:06 am »
Ok I guess I'll add a different angle here . . .HID kits provide you with a potent light source that you are now placing in a cheap low tech housing that is not designed to focus the powerful light source.  You may well find that you have a nice bright view of that oncoming car as it comes straight at you because the driver has been blinded.   . . . Yes please do a before and after comparison, one that includes both the view from the seat of the motorcycle and from the seat of a car coming in the opposite direction.  You might be surprised.  Perhaps you can adjust your headlight aim to help somewhat. . . .Projector Hid housings aren't cheap.  However, they are purpose designed to aim the light properly and do can a spectacular job of safely lighting the way.  On the other hand, installing a HID kit in a reflector housing can easily make you nuisance.  Something to think about . . .or ignore . . . .
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:54:32 pm by eurban »

Offline j squared

• Hot Shot
  • www.iliketogofast.com
    • ILikeToGoFast
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 06:57:37 am »
Ok I guess I'll add a different angle here . . .HID kits provide you with a potent light source that you are now placing in a cheap low tech housing that is not deigned to focus the powerful light source.  You may well find that you have a nice bright view of that oncoming car as it comes straight at you because the driver has been blinded.   . . . Yes please do a before and after comparison, one that includes both the view from the seat of the motorcycle and from the seat of a car coming in the opposite direction.  You might be surprised.  Perhaps you can adjust your headlight aim to help somewhat. . . .Projector Hid housings aren't cheap.  However, they are purpose designed to aim the light properly and do can a spectacular job of safely lighting the way.  On the other hand, installing a HID kit in a reflector housing can easily make you nuisance.  Something to think about . . .or ignore . . . .

This.

I think we can all appreciate better lighting, unless you are coming the other way. Putting an HID bulb in a non-projector housing is just inconsiderate IMO.

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »
Yes, a projector housing would be ideal. The way I aimed my light initially was blinding on-comers, as my wife will attest to; but with some adjusting I found an angle that did not blind her. If there was an affordable aftermarket projector available, I would buy it. But since there isn't, I think this is a good alternative. I no longer feel like I am over-driving my headlight now. I am convinced I am not blinding anyone, and I am skeptic that if I was, someone would focus on the light and swerve towards it or something. We all have shared two lane roads with obnoxious KC/HID festooned cars, but how many of you have hit them because of the distraction?

I am not trying to start an argument. Just my 2 cents.

Offline j squared

• Hot Shot
  • www.iliketogofast.com
    • ILikeToGoFast
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »
Oh no I dont think anyone would wander over because you are giving them an eye-full, just more of an annoyance thing. I know there are 7" projector lenses available for under $20, but honestly it would probably only be marginally better than a reflective housing. The biggest thing with HIDs is cutoff of the beam, which you dont get without an HID-specific housing.  Maybe a cheap projector housing and an HID bulb with a halo would be the best bet, I might try that out (be ready for some install questions!  hahaha).

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 03:24:42 pm »
I'm pissed that I threw away my Acura RSX light- that projector might have worked..

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 03:34:18 pm »
Oh no I dont think anyone would wander over because you are giving them an eye-full, just more of an annoyance thing. I know there are 7" projector lenses available for under $20, but honestly it would probably only be marginally better than a reflective housing. The biggest thing with HIDs is cutoff of the beam, which you dont get without an HID-specific housing.  Maybe a cheap projector housing and an HID bulb with a halo would be the best bet, I might try that out (be ready for some install questions!  hahaha).

Hey, if you got a link to that sub-$20 7" projector lens, don't be afraid to post it.   ;)
'75 CB550F

Offline j squared

• Hot Shot
  • www.iliketogofast.com
    • ILikeToGoFast