Author Topic: Tire brand reccomendations  (Read 7318 times)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Tire brand reccomendations
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:20 am »
I like michelin tires, and routinely buy them for cars I own.  But, they seem to cater only to motorbikes 1994 and newer that use metric sizes.  I couldn't find any data for michelin tires that stated they would fit properly on the narrow 1.85 inch width rims the CB550 has.  Michelin is selling into the populous market, not the vintage market, it appears.

I did find a 3.00 19 for the front.  But, the 550 should have a 3.25.  I couldn't find any inch sized tires for the 550 rear being offered by Michelin.
You will have to do a metric sub for the rear if you insist on Michelin, and those profiles are different from the inch sized tires.  And, I know from experience that going way oversize on tires is not good and leads to rapid wear of the tire center with advancing handling quirks as the tires wears.

You'll be immediately happy with just about any new tire you put on.  Its after the miles pass by that the true suitability is assessed.

I cannot speak to why your selected circle of friends don't know about Metzler.  But, it may be a similar phenomenon where eskimos (who do eat food) don't have much culinary knowledge about cajun quisine.

I don't understand why you are shopping Brand first and fitment as a secondary concern.

OK, I understand that good tires are important. Michelin producing a junk tire? Seriously, Michelin, recognized as one of the most respected brands of tires in the world, makes garbage?
Seriously, I ask about tires and you guys make it seem that I should not even consider Michelin tires at all. Any reasons or do you just prefer Metzeler because that is the way it is.
Who said they made garbage?  Do you know they make tires for YOUR BIKE?

The value of the bike is not the purchase price.  You can increase it's value by making improvements.

Absolutly. I pay $500.00 for the bike and put $250.00 in tires on it. My bike is now worth $600.00. I put $150.00 in tires instead of the $250.00 tires and my bike is worth $600.00.
Clearly the bike is worth more to you than $600, or you would have the cash instead of the bike!  Further, the value to YOU is NOT the sales value, it is the utility and enjoyment value.  If you don't feel confident about how the bike handles with $150 tires, did you increase the value or diminish it?  If you spent more, and then subsequently enjoy riding it more, is that not an increase in value beyond $600?
Additionally, what will the value of the bike be after it is wrecked?  (Ok, over-dramatic, I admit.  But, if you have more confidence in your bike's abilities, you just might be able to avoid an accident, rather than just ride it out to its expected conclusion.)

... but I just cant see investing half the purchase price for something that is no better than something much cheaper.
I am telling you, the proper tires for your bike is better than something that will "just do".  It took me years to find a combination that makes the bike ride, handle and perform really well. It was quite a surprise that stock sizes worked better than all the "upgrades" I had tried.  If your own Brand loyalty supercedes that discovery, then so be it.  I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear just so you can feel better about your purchase.
I just don't do "coddling", as I am sure others on this forum will atest.  ;D

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Are you saying the Michelin or IRC tires are cheap tires?
No, I am saying that buying a cheaper tire, and then another the fits properly a performs properly, is more expensive than buying just one proper, slightly higher priced tire in the first place.  And, you've saved the time and effort it took to determine that the first purchase was incorrect.

But, I doubt I'm going to sway you from you predetermined decision.  If you keep the bike long enough, you might just find out for yourself.
Some say that experience is a good teacher.  The frequency of this saying seems to be inversely proportion to the age of the sayer.  ;D ;D

I hope you are happy with your Michelins, and wish you well.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
any recomondations for a good fat tire on the back... any complaints about kendas? i got a pair for my yamaha and havnt been able to try em yet
I wore out a pair of Kendas on my 650. Never had a problem except for once when the front end suddenly fell out from under me in a slow turn. There had to have been some sand or something I didn't see, as I was starting from a dead stop.

Lately I have been running Dunlop 404s as that is what my bike shop stocks. The next tires I buy will be Michelins, since I work for a Michelin owned company and I get a discount.

When I owned a crotch rocket I looked around on a few stuntbike forums, and found that a lot of guys like Michelin Pilot Power.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

daredevilsadvocate

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:25 pm »
I have the same motorcycle, a 78 cb550k and was able to find dunlop 404's for it for about $135 for both tires from bikebandit.com ( that includes shipping).  They seem pretty nice and solid for the price and the reviews I have read on them.  They aren't on the bike as of yet, so i can't comment, but a 404 is what my buddy uses on his 99 aero due to it being one of the only whitewalls he can get in that size.  Just my $.02.

Cheers,

dd

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 06:03:12 pm »
Who said they made garbage?  Do you know they make tires for YOUR BIKE?

Actually they do...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6153/ITEM/Michelin-Macadam-50E-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6156/ITEM/Michelin-Macadam-M50-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

In no way would I use a tire that is too small for my bike and I would never substitute a tire size unless I have no other choice. Tire sizes were chosen by the manufacturer for a reason.

If a $100.00 tire performs as well as a $150.00, is there any reason to buy the $150.00 tire. If that $150.00 tire does not last 50% longer than that $100.00 tire, is there any reson to buy that higher priced tire?

I can't see skimping out for a $30.00 tire to save a few bucks.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 06:41:44 pm »
Ok, I went to Michelin's web site.
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=commanderhd

They didn't list inch sizes in current production for the Macadam M50.

So, either they still make them but don't put them on their web site.  Or, the Motorcycle superstore still has stock of tires made when Michelin did offer them.
Were I you and determined to save a buck, I'd at least have them tell you the date codes on the tires you will receive.  Tires age and harden just sitting on the shelf.
I don't know when or if Michelin stopped making inch size tires.  But, if it was 2 years ago, you'll be buying two year old (or more) discounted tires.  They are on closeout, did you notice that?  That usually means they'll not be getting any more once they are sold out.  You might want to find out why that is.

If they are recent production and not old stock, you can give us a ride/wear report after a couple of years of use.  But, by then, I expect they will no longer be available.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline i_m_jon

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »

This is not an assertion. This is me asking many different people about tires. For every person that has heard of a Metzeler tire, there are 4 that havent.

Then you are asking people who not qualified. Metzeler's parent company is Pirelli and their moto tires come from the same facility. Since there are fewer great motorcycle tire manufacturers than motorcycle manufacturers in the world, anyone reasonably qualified to give advice on moto tires would know who they are.