Author Topic: Flake Sunrise Orange  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Flake Sunrise Orange
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:00:57 am »
I am in the middle of painting my daughters car and while talking to the guys at the paint shop they gave me the recipe and method for "flake sunrise orange". I thought i would put it here as i have seen a few requests for the "recipe"...

Product Required:
1 pint (pt) BC-02 silver base
1 ounce MF-2 mini flake
1 pt UK-8 tangerine candy
1 pt UC-01 clear coat
1 pt KU-100 hardener
2 Quarts medium reducer
Tech sheets for above

1- Reduce BC-02 two parts base to one part reducer, apply two full coats of
BC-02 silver or until full hiding
2- Reduce BC-02 at a ratio of one part paint to one part reducer.
3- Add one gram of mini flake to every 10 grams of reduced BC-02. (He used a
digital scale)
4- Apply two or three coats of mini flake and BC-02 mixture to complete
panel.
5- Allow recommended recoat time, usually 30 minutes.
6- Mix and apply two coats of UC-01 clear coat.
7- Allow clear coat to fully cure.
8- Lightly block sand clear to level flake alignment with 600 wet or 800p
wet.
9- Apply 4 up to 6 ( mine was 6) medium wet coats of the UK-08 tangerine
candy onto panel allowing each coat to flash.  NOTE: Always make test spray
out panels when spraying candy for matching.
10- Always check for correct6 match between coat of candy.
11- Allow candy to flash for one hour.
12- Apply two coats of UC-01 clear coat onto panel.
13- Allow to fully cure.

The factory Honda painters left out steps 6,7,8, thats why the finish is slightly bumpy, for a smooth finish use steps 6,7,8.

All paint codes mentioned are House of Kolor paints.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
Re: Flake Sunrise Orange
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:24 am »
r u sure that was the factory recipe? Or is that what your paint shop came up with?
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:43:47 am »
Mick,

Do you know what volumes are actually REQUIRED to coat in each step? Wouldn't want to mix too much or not have enough.

This needs to be saved to the proper place in this site.

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:51 am »
Remember; place the decals over first clear coat.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »
r u sure that was the factory recipe? Or is that what your paint shop came up with?

Its not the factory recipe but it matches a brand new set of side covers perfectly. These type of colors are hard to paint as the depth of color comes from how much orange goes over the silver base. It is highly recommended that only experienced painters do this. I will be painting my bike this color soon so i will let you all know how it goes.

Do you know what volumes are actually REQUIRED to coat in each step? Wouldn't want to mix too much or not have enough.

Hi Jerry, This is where experience comes into it, not much paint is needed to do the tank and covers but most of the time we mix by eye, {in this case there are measurements for the flake that are critical to stick with} and if you come up short it doesn't take long to mix a small amount and continue..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »
Do they have the receipt for the OEM gold?
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:19 pm »
How would this compare to the kits that dondirtbiker sells? I mean, I'm assuming that having competent people doing the painting (i.e., not me) would give better results, but would this recipe produce a deeper gloss or hold up better or anything?
'75 CB550F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:49 pm »
How would this compare to the kits that dondirtbiker sells? I mean, I'm assuming that having competent people doing the painting (i.e., not me) would give better results, but would this recipe produce a deeper gloss or hold up better or anything?

Producing a deeper gloss is part of the "technique" of the actual painting, more time spent on prep and application = better results. The paint itself for this recipe is House of Kolor paints which are top shelf paints. I do a bit of painting myself but am by no means an expert and posted this as a few guys have been looking for recipes for different colors and i was lucky enough to stumble on this one.

Do they have the receipt for the OEM gold?

Not too sure but i will ask.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline 75750SS

• Enthusiast
  • 75 750F, 2010 Concours ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 05:26:06 pm »
Very cool and thanks.  Have added this one to my saved files, should I every need to have the 75 750F painted.  Love that color.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 05:35:36 pm »
Love that color.

Yeah, you don't see much metal flake these days combined with the orange, its killer... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:05:47 pm »
Luv my original sunrise flake orange.

"Depth of gloss" is a result of the thickness of the clear coat applications-- and using gloss sheen clear coat, of course. Depth is due to thickness of the clear as how light travels through the clear and refracts (bounces) back off the orange and flake. I've done a lot of wood finishing and the same principles apply. Of course, you can't apply too much thickness of finish as this causes other sorts of problems. There's be a big difference in depth between, say one or two coats of clear, vs. 4 or 5.
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:25:47 am »
"Depth of gloss" is a result of the thickness of the clear coat applications-- and using gloss sheen clear coat, of course. Depth is due to thickness of the clear as how light travels through the clear and refracts (bounces) back off the orange and flake. I've done a lot of wood finishing and the same principles apply. Of course, you can't apply too much thickness of finish as this causes other sorts of problems. There's be a big difference in depth between, say one or two coats of clear, vs. 4 or 5.

I agree with some of this but you can increase "depth" with careful application of the paint before clear coats by getting the individual coats as flat and smooth as possible and then applying the clear. This is more critical when using acrylic paints. Also slowly introducing clear to the last couple of color coats helps as well.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:51:32 am »

I agree with some of this but you can increase "depth" with careful application of the paint before clear coats by getting the individual coats as flat and smooth as possible and then applying the clear. This is more critical when using acrylic paints. Also slowly introducing clear to the last couple of color coats helps as well.

Mick

Agreed. I assumed (perhaps too much) that the color coats would be wet sanded flat before applying the clear. Don't know about adding clear to final color coats. If you only added a little clear, or even half and half, the paint would still be so opaque that little light would get though to reflect back up. Never tried it though, so if you have and it works, good to know. What ratio of clear to color?
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
What ratio of clear to color?

Never really measured the amounts but we just add a little clear to the last or last couple of color coats to add depth and still clear over it. It just helps it look a little deeper. I have seen this method used on custom jobs where pieces of graphic are added between the coats to produce a "3D" effect to the graphic. Looks cool.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline brettster26

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
Has anyone tried the recipe at the beginning of this thread??? I am VERY interested in re-painting my tank as the Flake orange has faded and looks like someone may have taken a bit of light sand paper to it but also looking at painting to the bump seat and side covers to match the tank!  Also any idea on $$$ for material??

Really appreciated any help!

Thanks