Author Topic: 550 Cylinder sleeve removal and replacement.  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
550 Cylinder sleeve removal and replacement.
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:32:00 am »
I have a cracked sleeve.  I have a good sleeve in another head.  How can I remove them and save one for use in the other?  I've never done this but I am not scared.  I am assuming that a lot of heat and pressure is involved.  Will they just walk out nicely if I heat the heads to 500°?   This is for my Franken-Fifty bike so failure is an option but not desired.
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: 550 Cylinder sleeve removal and replacement.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:06 am »
According to anecdotes I've heard from others here, heat yes, pressure, not so much.  Apparently (on a 750 at least) once you heat them enough the sleeves come out pretty easy.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:59 am »
I like the gas BBQ, preheat to 300d. Cylinders upside down & support the tops of all the sleeves you want to remain with something an inch or so thick. That one unsupported should drop out.

Make sure the parts are clean.

Pop the good sleeve in the freezer for a bit & reheat the good cylinder block upright this time supporting the block itself.

BE CAREFUL lowering the frozen sleeve into the cylinder block so that the top flange doesn't slam down on the block & crack.

Good luck

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
don't forget to remove the sleeve o-rings
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:23:10 pm »
Heat and cold what great cheap tools they are!!,Bill,like the grill method,had a CBX 79 model ,before vac petcock ,was left on,loud internal combustion sound,LOUD,bent rod,pulled cylinder walked to parts washer turned cylinder upside down,sleeve in that hole hit the bottom of parts washer;fell out!
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »
don't forget to remove the sleeve o-rings
I didn't even notice them there until you mentioned them.  They look fun to remove and don't look reusable.  I only want to buy a ring and a gasket set for this bike and probably tires and a chain/sprocket set for safety.  That's my goal.  The rest will be "found" items.
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
most gasket kits include these. EVERY time i have to pull the topend of a motor down i replace these. cheap insurance.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:34:06 pm »
Heat it up. Old sleeve will come out with a gentle nuge at most. Same with installation. No need to freeze the sleeve, a home freezer is not cold enough to shrink the sleeve.

Drop the new one in. When the blocks cool, the aluminum pulls away under the sleeve flange, so you have to put it in a press and seat the sleeve. If any of the others moved, press them too.  If you don't do this, the sleeve will drop when the motor heats up and can result in the head gasket leaking.

Sleeve flanges are not always the same thickness, so you will most likely have to surface the block.