Author Topic: Custom rear signal mount brackets...pics included  (Read 938 times)

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
Custom rear signal mount brackets...pics included
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:00:35 am »
I've been looking at picking up a rear grab bar for my '75 CB550 after I removed the luggage rack that was on it so I could mount the rear signals.  I decided that 30-40 bucks for the bar just wasn't worth it so I picked up some 1.5 inch x 1/8th inch aluminum and started taking some measurements.

My dad is a toolmaker so I knew if I could get him a decent drawing he could put it together for me.  I thought they turned out really well, he even sand blasted them for me for that nice matte finish.  I cut a couple of pieces out of an old innertube for some dampening between the signals and backets and it all worked out well.   I don't need no stinkin' grab bar!!!!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:02:30 am by dilbone »

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: Custom rear signal mount brackets...pics included
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
Looks good to me if it works!
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:24:59 am »
it works alright...

I'm sure with some additional thought I could have come up with something more creative, but at this point if people never notice them then I suppose they're doing their job well.  I was thinking about getting out the wet sanding paper and polish to get these polished up but I just wanted to get these mounted proper.  I had been using sections of a gutter hanger as brackets while I kicked around wether or not I wanted a grab bar or not.  This has been a huge improvement over my initial jacked up fix.

Those without grab bars, how have you mounted the rear signals?

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:02:53 am »
The only thing that would creep into the back of my mind is that it looks easy to rotate them upward or downward by accident with the simply nick of a boot as you're mounting the bike.

They look great, don't get me wrong. How solid are they mounted?
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:11:26 am »
The only thing that would creep into the back of my mind is that it looks easy to rotate them upward or downward by accident with the simply nick of a boot as you're mounting the bike.

They look great, don't get me wrong. How solid are they mounted?

I like them, but I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe a few star washers and some loctite?
-A

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:25:10 am »
they're pretty friggin' tight right now...you'd have to really knock'em good to get them to move.  I'm more worried about bending the aluminum than I am about them rotating.  Should have used stainless, but aluminum was more readily available in that size. 

Star washers, that's a good idea...may have to run out a pick up a few.

Offline jimbir

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:41:38 am »
Do you still have the luggage rack? Pictures maybe? Want to sell it? Let me know.

Thanx, Jim B.
1976 Honda CB550F