Author Topic: Let's put this puzzle back together 75 CB550K Kick start  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Let's put this puzzle back together 75 CB550K Kick start
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:13:45 am »
Okay here are the parts I have.

I took the kick start off the bike because it started flopping around and whatever retains the kick start arm in its hole has come off.  I thought I would put a kick start from a 76 550 F on the bike since I have a 76 550 F sitting here.  Fail.  Not working without some kind of modification because the 550F has the flip out kind and it hits my foot rest and cannot kick over.  So the 76 550 F kick start is not going to just bolt on without some kind of modification to the bike.  All that know me know that I am not going to mod my bike to use a free kick start.

That being said, let's put the original one back on and identify the missing parts that I will need to get from my local Honda dealer and figure out how this thing goes back together.

Does a nut or some kind of retaining clip go on the bottom of the kick start arm?  (The bottom of the arm looks like a bolt so it looks like it may be possible for it to accept a nut.  But I am not going to put a nut there if a nut was not there originally.)

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Let's put this puzzle back together 75 CB550K Kick start
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »
Well, I got it together...  I guess I just have to hope that my Honda shop carries whatever retains the bolt end of the kick start....  nut?

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 01:06:14 pm »
Here's a link to the kick start for my bike.

I do not see the nut that would retain the kick start on the bottom of the bolt.  I see #6, the cap that I have been missing for quite a while.  (You don't see the bolt on the kick start when the cap is on.  It is just a cosmetic cover, I guess.)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »
I thought they had like a heavy duty retaining circlip, but i could well be wrong. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:01 pm »
You're probably right.  Mine is missing, so I don't know what goes there.  I found this pic on ebay and it looks like a nut though ????  I dunno.

Different seller.  His also looks like it has a nut.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:55:24 pm by Hope »

Offline 1timduke

• Hot Shot
  • '75 CB550
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:08:09 pm »
Mine's got a nut fitting and a couple of washers under the nut and one under the bolt head, if I remember right it cinches down on the spindle as you tighten it.   Make sure the spindle shaft as well as the internal spines are very clean before reassembly, maybe a little grease to help it slide on.   Also make sure the retaining ball and spring work properly to avoid pulling it back off :P.   Also help to barely slide it on, check the position throughout the full range of motion, also to avoid a do-over, again, ask me how I know :P

-Tim
The only thing I miss about the South is Waffle House!

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
Cool.  Will try to get the washer and nut tomorrow.

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:20:11 pm »
Got it together.  You'll be surprised to learn that we have one of the oldest Honda dealerships in the area and they actually haul out some NOS parts for me sometimes.  That cover that goes on the round part of the kick start (so you don't see the bolt) - they have an entire bin of them.  Cost: $1.92.

I made it out of Honda today paying $2.09.