Author Topic: I Found This Interesting, Do You?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
I Found This Interesting, Do You?
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »
   The 3rd one down in the 2nd row, was what my 1st motorcycle started life as, but was reworked to look more like a small motorcycle, than a moped style and it never did have pedals like a moped.
   The 3rd one down on the 3rd row, was like the one that I build from parts, that my Dad said I would have to do if I wanted a motorcycle (for the street), except I painted mine gloss black and I was in Junior high school (14 yrs old, at the time)  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:20:15 pm by bill440cars »
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
Re: I Found This Interesting, Do You?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »
Very cool. Amazing what people can dig up these days. I like that poster, just wish the image was bigger. Nice post.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Caminokid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:37 pm »
Funny thing is...I have heard of Jawas...never seen one. Seen pics of them. Thats about it.
God created man...Winchester and a baseball bat made then equal. Evel Knievel

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:33:08 pm »
Funny thing is...I have heard of Jawas...never seen one. Seen pics of them. Thats about it.

Let's see...a group of folk obsessed with 70s/early 80s era bikes, and then someone brings up Jawas...I lay even money on the conversation turning to Star Wars vs "Oooh, I remember those!"

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:35:26 pm »

Not surprising, they were around in some areas and possibly NOT in others.  Some folks have heard of CZs, but not Jawas and there are lots of folks who never heard of ESOs. They ALL came from the same company (group, or what ever). Ther have been several times I have seen a seller have a awa or street model CZ and they didn't know where the Kick Start was. Now, to me, that was funny :D Cause I KNEW where it was. You see, for those who don't know, the gearshift lever is slightly larger and doubles as the kick starter. you simply take the shaft that the gearshift lever is mounted on, push it in with you hand or side of your foot, raise the lever up and to the rear. You have just repositioned the gearshift lever back into the kick start position. Then, after you have started the engine, release the lever and it will return to the gearshift position. One lever, one shaft and you can do two different things with it. ;) They've had this feature since somewhere around the mid 50's. I like to say that the Jawas and the street CZs are kinda like the VW's. They were solid, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, slow, and didn't change much over the years. :D  That's what made the 250 Jawa that my Dad built, so impressive. I mean it was eating up the Bigger bikes, like the Triunmph 500cc twins, for example. Even the Triumph Dealer was having a problem keeping that old 250 Jawa from passing him up. :D ;D 8)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »

Let's see...a group of folk obsessed with 70s/early 80s era bikes, and then someone brings up Jawas...I lay even money on the conversation turning to Star Wars vs "Oooh, I remember those!"

You left out "60's" bikes also. ;D       ;)
Member # 1969

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »
If you remember 60s bikes, you weren't really there.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »

THe 60's bikes?, I remember the FIFTIES bikes. Where were YOU during that time? ;D When the Drug scene came in, I dodged and missed that! Never got involved. Had better things to do. ;)
Member # 1969

Offline Caminokid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:15:55 pm »

Yeah that was my first thought when I see a pic of a Jawa. I thought Start Wars too! LMAO
God created man...Winchester and a baseball bat made then equal. Evel Knievel

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:27:15 pm »

THe 60's bikes?, I remember the FIFTIES bikes. Where were YOU during that time? ;D When the Drug scene came in, I dodged and missed that! Never got involved. Had better things to do. ;)

It was a joke.  Variation on the standard, "if you remember the 60s..." 

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 08:10:14 pm »

It was a joke.  Variation on the standard, "if you remember the 60s..." 

My apologies, I guess I'm just a bit on edge cause I've been having a bit of a problem the last couple of days (about Brenda0 and I've got to get a better rein on that. I LOST some of my ability to recognize humor and I'm tryuing to get some things sorted out in my life, you know. Sorry about that. :-[ Ordinarily, I don't do that.
Member # 1969

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:34 pm »
That's ok... We understand that's what happens when you get odd... I mean old... I mean... Oh, never mind. :D
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:14:32 pm »
That's ok... We understand that's what happens when you get odd... I mean old... I mean... Oh, never mind. :D

:D and you are JUST 40? ??? :)  Are YOU trying to cath up with the older (or ODDER) set? :D ;D ::) ;) I FIT that description, so I DO have room to talk! ;D
Member # 1969

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:07:24 am »
well I don't own a harley. so i guess that firmly puts me in the odd set.  ;D

as for the 40... I'd never guessed I'd make it this long with just 1 broken bone! oddly enough that wasn't my head!

Words of wisdom... When you get off the bike. Stop first.
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 06:17:39 am »
as for the 40... I'd never guessed I'd make it this long with just 1 broken bone!

Huh...I only made it slightly farther than halfway there before I passed you on that statistic.  None more since then, but still...  *knocks wood*

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »

Isn't that on the first page of the owners manual, right next to "If you are unable to read this manual, don't use this product!"  ;)

Bill, neat poster. I've read several of your post on Jawa's and now pics, yay! I wonder if I can find any here in the west.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 02:07:13 pm »

Isn't that on the first page of the owners manual, right next to "If you are unable to read this manual, don't use this product!"  ;)

Bill, neat poster. I've read several of your post on Jawa's and now pics, yay! I wonder if I can find any here in the west.

Brandon

Hey Brandon, I've seen them pop up now and then. They hardly EVER appear around here though, except the few I have. (a 74' CZ175 Project bike, a 73' that I bought in Wisconsin and have to get it down here, an early - mid 60's Jawa 250, a 50cc that was my 1st bike, an extra 250 engine and part of a 350 Jawa Californian )

Member # 1969

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 02:23:55 pm »
Bill, I get the impression that sometimes they are listed under different manufacturer names (heh, i think you posted that in this thread ;) ) Do you know of any good websites that have info on these? I'm not sure why but I am drawn to older bikes, I'd say it's the allure of them being cheaper, but well, we all know that in the long run that isn't true :D

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com