Author Topic: My Ebay Project Bike  (Read 24405 times)

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
My Ebay Project Bike
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:09 am »
I spent yesterday driving 500 miles to west Wales and back to London to pick up my new project.

I've got a feeling it's spent most of its life in a seaside town - hence the rust. It kicks over smoothly with fairly good compression considering its 53,000 miles.

Bonus points for stainless steel rear spokes, stainless steel braided brake hoses. All the engine screws, nut and bolts looking like they've never been turned in anger. Minus points for everything else.
It's going to be a cheap and cheerful 'custovation', I can't make up my mind between cafe racer, hard-tail chop, a combination of the two or just a repaint and Triumph Trophy TR6 Desert 'bars.
Lovely original exhaust is heart-breakingly rotten, although the headers might be saveable (hmm..4 X Supertrapp universals bolted on maybe ?)

I'll give it a good wash and brush up today, hopefully get it running and functioning electrically then I'll start looking for parts.

I'm pretty much unemployable so this'll be a budget build with a total spend of £1000. Cost so far to get it into my backyard is £370 / $600.
Anyway, here are the pics - try not to laugh, if nothing else it'll make everyone else feel better about the awful heaps they bought for much less!

It might need a new seat..

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:02:39 am by Ogri »

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: My Ebay Project Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:42:45 am »
ew.... that bike needs a lot of love.  Everybody has to start somewhere....  I drug home a rusty old bike and look what I have now....

It doesn't happen over night though....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:45:11 am by Hope »

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:41:58 am »
Dude!  I love the bike....and Love the keychain! ahah  You don't need that seat pan anyways.   Sounds like you're into the same dealio as me... trying to keep it budget due to lack of funds! Enjoy the #$%* outa the build!! and as I was told...take lot'sa pictures...and keep us informed.  The people on here are amazing and there's an answer for everything!....ton's of crafty do it yourself ideas too!
You'll have a blast!

Cheers

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:35:23 am »
Thanks people, much appreciated. Put a good battery in it today, switched on the ignition and got a neutral light and an oil light - Woohoo! Indicators work but nothing else. Took the points cover off and with the ignition on opened the points - Spark! Woohoo! Filled oil-tank. Found some gas in the shed and rigged up a remote gas tank - didn't want to pour a gallon into the rusty wreck to find it leaks like a sieve.
Choke on...choke cable seized closed; pry up choke lever on carb bank, switched her on and hit the button. Engine turning over but not firing. Checked for a spark at the plugs; all good but plugs dry; no gas getting through ?

I took the carbs off to clean out the expected gunge only to find them pristine, clean as a whistle. Had much fun getting the carb bank off, struggling against the airbox. All done eventually.
Then I remembered that the gas in the shed came out of the last bike I bought and was about 15 years old, I was keeping it as parts cleaner. Jumped on my MZ and down to the gas station with a petrol can stapped to the seat.

Ok, try again, fresh fuel in remote tank....sod it, I'll fix the choke cable. Managed to get it free but broke of the plastic plull knob. Tig welded a 5mm diameter metal bar so the cable end now looks like a 'T'. Much better. Choke on, Gas on, Ignition on, hit the button..krob-krob-krob-krob-KROBLAAARRRUMMMM. Running! Turned around to look at the expected palls of oil smoke coming from the exhaust...nothing...no smoke..I ease off the choke a little and the bike settles down to a steady idle. Niiiice! Hardly any engine noise at all; engine sounds like it's done about 15 -20K miles, a little dull clatter from the cam chain at idle but nothing to worry about - may well quieten down after I've adjusted it and balanced the carbs.

I decided to film the bike idling with my cellphone, not great definition but better than nothing. did that then had a close look at the gas tank - amazingly it's practically cherry inside. Tentatively put in a couple of pints of gas and swished it around. No apparent leaks so I poured a gallon in. No leaks at all!
Freeded off the sticky rear brake, & adjusted the clutch and took her out for a quick ride up the street - no front brake though so took it easy. Gears selecting very smoothly, clutch working normally.

Started to clear up. Bent down to pick up pan full of old gas that I was using as cleaner and my 'phone fell out of my top pocket and landed right in it. Glug-glug-glug as it sank to the bottom. It doesn't seem to want to work now so I'll have to post a vid another time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:50:59 am by Ogri »

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:05:45 pm »
hOLY CRAP!!  That makes me wanna cry a little!! Good to hear man!!!! Sorry about the phone though...
 WOOHOOOOO!
Cheers to you! and the ol' lookin' good runnin' machine of a bike!

dhinch279

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »
the key chain made the whole deal totally worth it! well glad to hear that it fired right up with a little tinkering.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Likes the warm feeling but is tired of all the dehydration.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:35:10 pm »
Looks fairly similar to what I started with....except I still have never heard my bike run. Much mojo, sir. And don't forget to have fun at all times, even when it makes you want to tear your hair out.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:23:47 am »
Yep the keychain is funny, and it perhaps explains why the bike is in such a state of disrepair!

As for tearing my hair out; today I'll be trying to remove the sheared off front brake nipple so if you hear loud swearing coming from the East it'll be me.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:27:53 am »
A little progress: I want to get the bike functioning properly before tearing it all down. I'd noticed that the No.1 cylinder header wasn't getting as hot as the others. Before taking the carbs off or checking the ignition system I checked the tappet clearances. Exhaust valve had no gap at all! A quick adjustment (don't you just love adjustable tappets rather than shims) and all pipes feel spot on. Also adjusted the ignition timing slightly, 1&4 were firing 1/4" early and both points gaps were big enough to drive a bus through. It was while doing all this that I realised the auction for the practically new K7 seat I'd been watching on ebay had ended. I'd set the alarm on my watch but had somehow managed to turn it off while working. The seat went for £35. I was going to bid £50....AAAARRGHHH!

Front brake is working, the screw extractor snapped in the sheared off nipple ( like always ) but I managed to adequately bleed the system by loosening the feed pipe union. Not ideal I know but it's working at least. Here's the pad that came out of the inner side of the caliper - so old and knackered the friction material had seperated from the steel backing:

In other news, looked what I scored from a guy on a classic bike forum I hang out at:

Genuine Dunstall!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:30:02 am by Ogri »

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:18 am »
Sweet SCORE! If you come across another set....let a brother know! ahah

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 07:12:37 am »
I've been doing quite a bit of 'behind the scenes' work, getting the bike running spot on, fixing brakes etc.

I polished down the fork tubes and filled the slight pitting with JB Weld then polished flat again. It's a complete bodge but it'll be interesting to see if it works. I then fitted new oil seals and gaiters (boots?) yesterday, looks much better, especially as the gaiters are such a snug fit they don't need cable ties or hose clips:

I've got two new tyres waiting to go on & wiring and connectors for a simplified loom on order, along with a chain, sparkling original front mudguard (fender) and new Beeston grips all winging their way to me in the post.

The plan is still to tear it all down but I want to make sure any modifications to the frame are done before the paint goes on.

I've decided I want the style of the bike to be along these lines:

But with higher, Renthal bars and a 4-1 that the good Voxonda is sorting out for me:

Nice huh ?

Finding a new seat has been difficult and in line with the above pictured Inspiration bike I ripped off my seat cover to see if the base was saveable - it's not; wafer thin rust. What was interesting was what I discovered when I took off the cover:

Looks like Melton Upholstery cut the seat down a little for the previous owner!

With upper part removed though it was easier to imagine what the bike would look like with a flatter seat:

(proof that it doesn't always rain in London!)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:34:22 am by Ogri »

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:45 am »
Yesterday I removed the speedo and tacho:

Today I put the tyres on;

Something just right about Avon RoadRunners and fork gaiters

I remembered I had the front mudguard from a Russian Dnepr 650 and thought it might work as a rear fender, what do you think:

A stretched cat's eye currently on ebay seems to fit pretty well according to this photoshopped mock-up.

I'm leaning more and more towards making my own seat, or at least the base and having it upholstered professionally. I really like fluted, tuck and roll vinyl. I'm imagining the seat stopping at the raised 'bridge' of the seat rails.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:25:25 am by Ogri »

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:44:28 pm »

In other news, looked what I scored from a guy on a classic bike forum I hang out at:

Genuine Dunstall!

They are Henry Abes. Dunstall did have a points cover, but it was more dome shaped.

Are you the same Ogri on the Suz Triples board with the " The Mighty Buffalo"? ( I think that's what it was called)
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:35 pm »
Hey thanks Fishhead, bummer that they're not Dunstall, maybe I can knock a bit off the price though! Haven't heard of Henry abe, will go a-googling and edumacate myself.

Nope, not me on the Suzuki Triples 'board, wouldn't mind one of those 750 kettles - they're making big money in the UK at the moment.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:32 am »
Today I fixed my replacement rear fender in place. I used the rear frame rails' holes,
home-made Delrin spacers and fabbed up a pair of brackets that were then welded to the fender and mount at the 'seat bridge'.

I also rode my MZ 250 round to a fairly local steel fabricators to beg some sheet for the seat pan.
Just my luck the guy working there was a biker and was happy to let me have a 3ft X 2ft piece of
3mm thick sheet. So now with the rear fender in place I can start on the seat. It'll be something like this:

Offline kerryb

• Not a very
  • Expert
  • 78 750k 74 cb550k, '83GL1100 FXSTC, 1979 Wilmac
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 06:31:02 pm »
Great project Ogri, I love the rear fender/tail light solution.  As far as what direction to take, keep an open mind.  Between seat, fender, and those way cool covers, you may be able to invent a new trend.  I'll be watching for more fine additions here in the future.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 02:42:24 am »
Thank you Kerry. Seeing that rear fender in bright, plain steel has made me rethink the proposed painting of the tank and frame..why not just polish the stipped steel and protect with clear lacquer ? Hmmm......

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:52:39 am »
   Nice sunny day here today, spent much of the morning answering the doorbell and taking delivery of CB750 bits. Handlebars, front mudguard and finned engine cover bits arrived. The Renthal handlebars are really nice and very light, a bargain for £10 inc. shipping.
Biggest disappointment was the front fender; described on ebay as in 'good condition' it's actually scratched, gouged, rusty and slightly dented. I've put it on for now but I'm trying to get a partial refund. And yes, I know it's for an earlier model (having the front brace) but I kinda like that beefy stock look - helps to brace the forks too - no bad thing.

After some very careful measuring I set grinder to steel and cut the seat base. It put up a bit of a fight but it's a really strong bit of kit, no flexing guaranteed. Tomorrow I'll round off the front corners and drill some holes to accommodate the original rubbers that hold the seat off the frame rails, then try and source some steel that will act like curtains (drapes) hiding the frame rails underneath and providing an area for vinyl fixing. I might try these things:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RE-COVER-THAT-OLD-BIKE-SEAT-PROFESSIONALLY-SEE-HOW-CB_W0QQitemZ260474901265QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3ca5839311&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Anyway here are today's pics.

As soon as I get the new headlamp brackets I'll be raising the h/light a couple of inces, it's too low I think.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:05:15 am by Ogri »

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 05:44:31 am »
My new lefthand switchgear arrived today. A very nice piece of kit that I picked up on ebay. The units are sold in the U.S.A by Trailtech: http://www.trailtech.net/040-HBS-02.html 
Very nicely made; unobtrusive, light and most important; inexpensive.
I had a left over clutch lever assembly from my Ural that looked the part, the clamp is designed for 1" bars so I made a collar for the Renthal from a piece of 1" O/D tube. Finished it all off with my replica Beeston grip:

Offline kerryb

• Not a very
  • Expert
  • 78 750k 74 cb550k, '83GL1100 FXSTC, 1979 Wilmac
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 06:40:33 am »
I like the new switchgear, nice and clean.  What about mirrors?  Lucky find on the steel. Are you planning the seat shorter than two-up?
You're making great progress, keep up the good work!
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 11:03:31 am »
Hi Kerry - yes, I was thinking about the the seat length ..the seat will end at the bridge between the rails over the rear wheel so  passengers will have to be very close friends. Sort of a roomy, stretched solo seat.

I hadn't considered mirrors until you mentioned it, they're not required at the annual vehicle inspection test over here so I might leave them off; like indicators I'm not a big fan of them.

Here's that finned engine cover set which I've been polishing with Solvol Autosol:

They're actually a bit more polished than they appear, although still not up to the standards of some on this forum they're better  than they were (see 8 posts up)

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 07:54:32 am »
  I googled 'sheet steel' in my local area and found a well-tucked away workshop. I must be getting better at scrounging as the guy left his desk and cut me 4 strips of 1.8mm steel sheet. This saved me an awful lot of time but my gratitude didn't go far in soothing his slightly grumpy mood; I think he has a thing about people cadging free steel.

So, with my trusty stick welder in the back yard I tacked up the ... to be honest I don't know what this part of the seat is called. The bit that I'm going to attach hooks to, to hold the cover, the curtain..drapes..whatever.

Behold:

The arrows show the positions of the original rubber seat blocks (..and yes, I am a bit tempted to lacquer it and fit it exactly as it stands!)

Next time...Foam!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:59:58 am by Ogri »

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Likes the warm feeling but is tired of all the dehydration.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 02:27:51 pm »
Dig the seat a lot. I may do steal the idea and do some mockups on my bike.

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »
 Thanks Your Sheikiness,
                                 I'll post some pics of the holding brackets underneath the seat at some time and the corresponding ones on the bike.
I welded 'drop-down' brackets on the frame, put the seat on the frame rails with the rubber blocks in place then put a heavy toolbox on the seat to push it down. This way, you have to apply a little pressure to get the bolts in but the seat won't loosen when I'm sitting on it. I then bolted the seat's brackets to the frame's brackets and tack welded the seat brackets onto the underside of the seat from the rear (fender removed - plenty of room.) Undid the bolts, carefully removed the seatbase and welded fully (ish).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:41:08 pm by Ogri »

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
Foam!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 11:36:40 am »

Here's a pic of the underside showing the simple (crude) brackets:

Went around to the foam shop today and bought high density, closed cell, 25mm thick foam and 8mm thick open cell foam to use as a 'finishing layer'.

Stuck the first layer on with spray on with Evo-Stik (contact adhesive), not looking too promising at this stage:

I then put a second layer of the same stuff on top; but didn't take a pic.
 I'd been thinking about how to shape the foam, I thought using a grinder would be too aggressive and hard to control so experimented on a scrap piece with a wire brush. It worked very well so went out and bought a densely bristled brass wire brush.
 With long, sweeping strokes holding the brush at different angles I found I could control the depth and shape of 'cut' very well:

To say I'm happy with the result would be an understatement.