Author Topic: How about a paint color topic... Color library?  (Read 38216 times)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: How about a paint color topic... Color library?
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:09 pm »
Here is the tank stripe detail CB550 1974.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2005, 04:10:53 pm »
Here is a CB500 tank.  I believe it is the original color.   But, I don't know if it is 1971 Star light Gold,  or 1972 Candy Gold.  The tank stripes are different style than the CB550.  That detail will follow in a separate post, since I am unable to put more than one picture in a post.

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2005, 04:13:08 pm »
Tank stripe detail for a 71 or 72 CB500.

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2005, 01:08:09 am »
Thank You. Much appreciated
Fonda Honda

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2005, 06:54:10 pm »
Starlight Gold and Candy Gold are impossible to tell apart unless you can get both NOS next to each other---Now that would be a Holy Grail
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 6adan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2005, 07:43:40 pm »
 Color rite told me they had Candy Gold and even told me how mutch I would need. Dannie
1970 CB750 JDM,1975 GL1000, 1979 GL1000, 1979 CBX, 1995 GL1500, 2000 GL1500CT Valkyrie, 2008 GL1800 Trike.

dawgofwar71

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2005, 09:20:03 pm »
hello, new to the forum. my name is Aaron  AKA dawgofwar71. i just won a 1973 cb 750. on e-bay, it has 18729 miles. i was wondering if anyone know what the color choices were??. this one is flat black. wanting to restore it.

dawgofwar71

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2005, 12:19:51 am »
 1973 CB750 Colors:

Flake Sunrise Orange
Candy Buccus Olive
Maxim Brown Metalic

Fuel tank stripes are White, Gold & Black

Zane

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:01 pm »

Isn't there someone who sells paint on ebay and supposedly has matches for some of these colors?

Yeah. His ebay id is 'dondirtbiker' and the last thing he sold was ebay item # 4599744507.

If you end up finding an email address or website for him, would you please let me know?  I don't know how good his stuff is, but it does look interesting. 

As in, it's one (pretty easy) thing to say "Parakeet Yellow" - it's another to actually produce it (and the other early Honda colours) faithfully and competently.

Zane

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 10:00:33 pm »
Oops!  Found it myself - on this site no less - under restorations.

dondirtbiker@excite.com

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2005, 09:00:01 am »
How do I find out the original color of my bike? Is there some number in the serial that would tell me?

I might be wrong (in which case I'm counting on an old timer or two to set me straight) but I found this page of info somewhat helpful. 

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/lubrtech.html

I say "somewhat" because the whole Honda Paint thing is difficult for me to navigate generally, in my (limited) experience.

With the two or three options of colour for most bikes, and a real close look around the gas cap and in the deepest recesses where the paint faded off underneath the tank, maybe you can ferret out a tiny bit or flake that gives the thing away.

In my 6 months of Honda (and motorcycle) ownership though, I have come to agree with many of the more experienced folks when they encourage me to do all I can to preserve the integrity of my original tank paint job. (From what I've seen, average factory original with just a bit of care and attention almost always surpasses any attempt to duplicate.  (An exception though, is when an owner redoes the whole bike right from the conceptual level - like cafe racerizing or chopping.  Then I don't think original paint matters so much - and maybe it even becomes undesirable in many cases.  I've seen some great bikes changed like that.)  But this is about original Honda paint ....... "Mr. can't stick to topic guy!!!"

Anyway, see if it helps.  (It helped me answer my own question (above) about Parakeet Yellow and the 76 CB 750 F.  It seems as if the yellow I've seen on CB 750's was "Sulpher Yellow" and not Parakeet Yellow.)  And now that I know, when I think about it - that Sulpher Yellow has more blue and less red in it that the Parakeet Yellow of the '76 and '77 400F's.  "Sulpher Yellow" is brighter looking than the parakeet Yellow.

It would be interesting to know if anything to do with paint or colour is encoded in any of the machine's I.D. numbers though.  In the case of my '76 400 F, there were only two colour alternatives offered (I think), and it would have been relatively simple (one would think) to encode that info somewhere.  Whether or not there was any reason to do so is another question.

I think energy expended in the direction of preserving and restoring these original colours for the machines is extremely worthwhile, for a number of reasons.  One thing that would be nice for me is to have the ability to check up on the validity of claims made by sellers of the machines, in their ads.  And once it's flying, and comprehensive, we can move forward to actually collaborating on finding and or developing the best possible replacement and touch up colours ourselves.  (Has anyone ever just called Honda itself about '60's and 70's motorcycle paint?)

What would everyone think about expanding the database to cover more machines besides the cb750 line?  Maybe the machines listed on the above "motorcycleproject" page could be our framework.....  We could start an image column maybe?

Just a thought .......

Regardless, I'm decent at web research, so when I get a few minutes I'll zip around and see if I can find anything that could be helpful to us.

The webpage referenced is my own.  However, it has been ripped off and copied verbatim on an old Hondas website based in Italy.  As an industry service veteran and former factory Honda employee I would just like to say that most of the issues raised here are answered in my article and its links.  To reiterate -- There are no Honda color codes before 1982.  Even the ones from 82 and onward are only meaningful to Honda themselves and not to anyone else.  The bottom line is that new colors must be custom matched -- there is no formula or code, either on the vehicle or in available from any Honda source.  A number of custom paint matchers are doing wonderful work, but they aren't doingit from numbers or codes because there aren't any, unfortunately.

Mike Nixon
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

www.motorcycleproject.com

Zane

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2005, 11:38:15 am »
Thanks for doing all that work Mike.  That list is really great.

If I hear you correctly then I think there must be an opportunity to build a Honda paint colour list for pre-1982 machines which would become the standard - since there is no standard.   I do know that a spray can of (must be reproduction) Parakeet Yellow from German ebay is about 50 bones - - - US bones!

I wonder who does the best colour reproduction today?  It's probably like you say - anyone who's really good can do something interesting.

(The idea of finding a modern car colour which is the closest match to the older colours sort of interests me as well.  The woman who scanned my tank said that my original Parakeet Yellow was so close to a GM Corvette yellow as to be indistinguishable by eye.  I've also heard that Fiat still makes a yellow which is darned close.)

Do you still have any sort of relationship with Honda Motor Company?

Anyway - thanks for coming into the discussion - your experience and efforts are certainly appreciated here, that's for sure.

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2005, 12:15:25 pm »
Thanks for doing all that work Mike.  That list is really great.

If I hear you correctly then I think there must be an opportunity to build a Honda paint colour list for pre-1982 machines which would become the standard - since there is no standard.   I do know that a spray can of (must be reproduction) Parakeet Yellow from German ebay is about 50 bones - - - US bones!

I wonder who does the best colour reproduction today?  It's probably like you say - anyone who's really good can do something interesting.

(The idea of finding a modern car colour which is the closest match to the older colours sort of interests me as well.  The woman who scanned my tank said that my original Parakeet Yellow was so close to a GM Corvette yellow as to be indistinguishable by eye.  I've also heard that Fiat still makes a yellow which is darned close.)

Do you still have any sort of relationship with Honda Motor Company?

Anyway - thanks for coming into the discussion - your experience and efforts are certainly appreciated here, that's for sure.

Thanks for the kind comments and intelligent reply.  The list I assembled was mostly made up of Lubrictech material but it was checked against Honda documents as well, and discrepancies accounted for as far as possible.  For example (and this example is noted on the site), Lubritech failed to recognize the first F1 750 as appearing in 1975.  So while it took a little time, it really wasn't that much of an accomplishment, and isn't really very original material, but I figured it would be helpful.  Unfortunately, the most my list can do is verify what colors came on what year and model, in the US at least, and additionally, what Lubritech did to service each example color.  Beyond that, it is not very useful, I am afraid. 

I have done many things in this industry, including overhauling the curriculum at MMI just a few years ago, but at present I am with corporate Kawasaki in their training dept.  I worked for corporate Honda three years, and was a Honda dealer tech for over ten straight years.  Received Honda registration certificate in 1983.  Been around a long time, hence my username -- oldfart. :-)

Back to paint.  Two things.  Yes, I have heard many things (and have heard direct from a few folks who really know) about certain kinds of auto paint that are dead on close for our purposes.  In a group as large as SOHC4 there has to be one or two of these folks lurking who have found one or more colors that work.  Second, there are also very talented auto finish professionals who can produce anything you ask them to.  Both avenues are useful, I would think, though I am not in the restoration business.  :-)

Mike Nixon   
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2005, 12:59:35 pm »
can we come up with something using house of kolor numbers,considering these colors for the most part are true candies anyway?
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2005, 02:43:38 pm »
I'm moving a little closer to the point where I will get the body work repainted. I know there is a kit offered by DonDirtbike, and I see these references to the Lubritech paints. I guess my question is specific to the K0 colors. In the chart referencing the Lubritech paints for example, aside from a primer, there are only two paints used, a base and a top coat. Does this mean only one coat of each, or is there something more to achieve the correct 'depth?' I guess this is question of technique or instructions for a painter and I guess the same question applies to the DonDirtbike kits as well. Just trying to understand, and get a handle on this, hope to get it right the first time.

In case you haven't figured it out, I have no painting knowledge or background.  ;)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline R. Hykawy

• Enthusiast
  • 77 CB400F Winnipeg,Canada
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2005, 05:05:28 pm »
If anyone wants I had an original parakeet yellow(cb400f) tank color matched. I think the color came out as close to original as possible. Can post formula if it is wanted.
Richard Hykawy

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2005, 06:39:06 pm »
I'm moving a little closer to the point where I will get the body work repainted. I know there is a kit offered by DonDirtbike, and I see these references to the Lubritech paints. I guess my question is specific to the K0 colors. In the chart referencing the Lubritech paints for example, aside from a primer, there are only two paints used, a base and a top coat. Does this mean only one coat of each, or is there something more to achieve the correct 'depth?' I guess this is question of technique or instructions for a painter and I guess the same question applies to the DonDirtbike kits as well. Just trying to understand, and get a handle on this, hope to get it right the first time.

In case you haven't figured it out, I have no painting knowledge or background.  ;)

Back in the 70s I purchased the Candy Anteres Red (1976 factory 750K color. plus that used on the Gold Wing a few years as well) for use on a bike I was working on (my own) in aerosol from Lubritech (through a distributor) and found it very good quality.  You know of course that successful candy paint application is all technique, 100 percent, and I found it difficult to just get my two frame sidecovers the same tone, though I did in the end.  So I am no expert either, and yes, depth is the whole deal with candies, and must be why the pros get the big bucks, eh?  Two parts sprayed just minutes apart can look completely different with candies.  It's a nigtmare in my opinion.  The basecoats and so forth on the table on my website are from the Lubritech documents.  I went by their recommendations and it went very well.  Silver underneath (either gold or silver was used under all Honda's candy colors then I believe), the Candy Anteres Red on top of that, fogged on ever so gradually, and some clear on at the last.  Looked great.  'Course it was lacquer so was prone to cracking wih age, which it did.  In fact I had Lubritech aerosols in storage many (twenty?) years after they went out of business.  Most of them were no good by that time of course but a few worked okay.  Lubritech originally made their name as the supplier of OEM Cerriani fork oil, back when suspension was much cruder than it is today and virtually no one else made oil good enough for Cerriani to trust for use in their product in the U.S.  Back to the paint tables.  Be sure and read all the links to the first page.  There is a lot there that explains the whole situation.  :-)  Wish I could be more help but I know there are real experts out there what with all the resto work being done today.  Resto just isn't in my line of work.  :-)   
Mike Nixon

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2005, 07:35:02 pm »
I found the data I had stored on my system.  A fella in Germany who has long been in the exotic Euro car business once sent me an interesting list of auto paint substitutes for Honda colors.   According to him, the llist is of HERBERTS paints, and the RAL is a German standard for paints mixtures.  Here it is, and Bodo, if you are reading this, thanks from me and I am sure from all of us.  :-) 

> candy ruby red R-4C = VW ( now VW-AUDI&n bsp;) L 31F "iberisch-rot"
>
> fire red R-2/light ruby red R25 = RAL 300 3 "rubin-rot"
>
> parakeet yellow Y31 = Opel ( GM ) L407 "chromgelb"
>
> tahitian red R-23 = BMW "henna-rot"
>
> ceramic white NH-24 = RAL 900 1 "creme-weiss"
>
> light scarlet R-20/bright red R-8 = RAL 3002 "karmin -rot"
>
> black/excel black NH1/NH57 = Toyota A11S black
>
> whi te NH-0 = RAL 9001 "creme-weiss"
>
> cayman black NH-100C = MIX 112 ( pr obably a HERBERTS special formula ?
>
> mars orange YR-6 = BMW "inka"/ D
>
> candy limited maroon R7 C-C = RAL 8022 "schwarzbraun"
>
> candy antares red R-6 C-S = Opel ( GM ) L501 "royal-rot"
>
> elephant grey NH- 4 = Triumph "slate 68"
>
> bright yellow Y-5 = Alfa Romeo 127 "giallo po zzuoli"
>
> might green G-31 = AUDI L62Y "signal-grün"
>
> sulfur yell ow Y-34 = VW ( VW-AUDI ) L10A "rallye-gelb"
>
> papaw green G20 = FIAT 3 36 "verde prato"/GE
>
> blue angel PB-31 = AUTOBIANCHI 191 "blu tahiti"
>
> calypso yellow Y-35 = FIAT 268 "giallo chiaro"
>
> balmy green GY- 101 = VW ( VW AUDI ) L62D "carolina-grün"
>
> aquarius blue PB-52 = FORD "monza-blau" 73 GH
>
> pal green GY-5 = FORD "Le Mans grün" 72 DS
>
> shiny orange YR 26 = Afa Romeo 531 "corallo Torre Greco"/R

Mike Nixon

Sprintti

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2006, 09:51:59 am »
Hi From Finland,

Can anybody help me?

CB750F Flake Sunrise Orange

HC-16-202 Candy Orange
UC-16-103 Flake Silver Basecoat
UC-16-100 Candy Silver Basecoat

Where I can get these paints?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:11:08 am by Sprintti »

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2006, 09:55:14 am »
Hi From Finland,

Can anybody help me?

CB750F    Flake Sunrise Orange    Candy Orange
HC-16-202    Flake Silver Basecoat
UC-16-103    Candy Silver Basecoat

Where I can get these paints?

Thanks!

Where did you get those paint codes from?

Sprintti

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2006, 10:07:29 am »

http://www.honda4fun.com/colori/colori.html

What these codes tells? Is there some company which can make paints with the help of these codes?

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2006, 10:21:42 am »

http://www.honda4fun.com/colori/colori.html

What these codes tells? Is there some company which can make paints with the help of these codes?

Read through the previous posts in this thread.  The answers are there, unfortunately they're probably not the answers you'd like to hear. 

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2006, 10:27:18 am »
Your best bet may be to contact Don on dondirtbiker@excite.com

He is a member here and sells his kits on eBay. Unfortunately he's in the US so shipping may be an issue.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Sprintti

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2006, 09:36:34 am »
Where I can find decals to my bike?

Offline clarkjh

• Expert? If only.
  • Expert
  • Surely and Samson are now Co-habitating
SOHC/4 #3328
SOHC/4 Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/clarkjh/
1974 CB550, 40000 Miles
1980 GL1100, 102789 KM - Back on the road after a complete engine rebuild. 
*** Why, oh why, is it always head gaskets with me?***