Author Topic: Building from the ground up  (Read 1640 times)

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
Building from the ground up
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:10:29 pm »
Anyone done this? I'm sure someone has... :poke:

I've got a spare motor on the floor dying for a unique custom frame and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on doing a ground up build. this won't start until it gets cold. I need to finish my Scout first.  This would be along the lines of a bar-hoppin bobber.

I know I know "if you have to ask..."  I'm just asking for advice, how would you do it different, anything I should be awre of, etc.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline rustrocket92

• Mad Fabricator
  • Hot Shot
  • Buster is in the Lab!
Re: Building from the ground up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:12:31 pm »
I don't know but i am watching this one.
1973 cb750k
1976 cb750k
1978 cb750f
1978 cb750k

deuce_454

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:17 pm »
my first advice would be to check some of the chopperbuilder forums (fora?) they all make frames left and rigth... and build yourself a jig

do you have any idea of how youd like the bike to look?? also if you are going to do somthing special, dont make somthing thats too oem like in look... perhaps a single backbone, oil in frame, mono-sided swingarm build??

thisone would look cool with a SOHC engine... and there isnt a weld in the frame!!

and it could be "douplicated"/aproximated with parts from a MX bike less engine....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:51:12 am by deuce_454 »

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:16:20 am »
I think the process starts with an idea of what kind of style you want. Then you draw up loose sketches. Then you draw the thing out 1/2 size on a large piece of board/paper/living room wall. You need to know the exact dimensions and layout of the engine, its mounts, wheels, forks etc. You then to ask yourself about the oil tank, battery location, style of gas tank, what kind of seat - will it need springs, where will you mount them, footpegs location, will you be able to reach the handlebars comfortably,  etc etc etc.

Then you need to make the jig that will hold the rear axle and engine (so the sprockets will align perfectly) and the headstock at the required angle (bearing in mind rake and trail) in a perfect line; level in 2 dimensions and plumb. Then you need to buy the right kind of tubing, then you need to borrow, make or buy a bender - not a pipe bender - a tube bender; big difference. Then you need to bend the tube at the correct angles and notch it (make a circular 'mouth' at one end) so it mates perfectly. Then you need to weld it, bearing in mind that every weld will cause the tubing to move around - losing alignment.

Now, I'm sure many will say this is all nonsense, that you could do it over a weekend. Yes, you can. But you'll end up with a badly handling, dangerous p.o.s that you'll eventually take $300 for on ebay just to get the wretched thing out of your life.

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:16:07 pm »
I've gone through the inspiration thread, the chopper thread, the bobber thread, and saved a few pics of bikes I like.   I'm thinking of a girder front end and a single side swingarm.

I like either big knobby tires or sawtooth tires.  Perhaps a trellis (think ducati) type frame, stretched a bit.

I'll post up some I like.

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:25:20 pm »

Handlebars are too high, but it's cool anyway.

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »
Ive always wanted to build a frame around a motor. I will have to watch this thread.  Ive got a tl1000 motor sitting on my garage floor waiting to be put in something.
Keep it shinny side up.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »
my first advice would be to check some of the chopperbuilder forums (fora?) they all make frames left and rigth... and build yourself a jig

do you have any idea of how youd like the bike to look?? also if you are going to do somthing special, dont make somthing thats too oem like in look... perhaps a single backbone, oil in frame, mono-sided swingarm build??

thisone would look cool with a SOHC engine... and there isnt a weld in the frame!!

and it could be "douplicated"/aproximated with parts from a MX bike less engine....

any other info on that yamaha?

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:58 am »
i had the k6 motor and other bits from a crashed bike, i got a "new" k4 frame from jacks cycle salvage in sanford florida, bits and pieces from different places. i guess it was build from the ground up.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894