Author Topic: Homemade carb synchronizer...100% success! Try it! ( PICS)  (Read 44500 times)

Offline Gorms

• Barkeep! Give me a beer and a
  • Hot Shot
Homemade carb synchronizer...100% success! Try it! ( PICS)
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:59 pm »
Before I bought a Morgan Carbtune, I thought I would try my hand at manking a manometer seeing how it would cost less and I wouldnt have to wait for shipping.  I made the carb adapter pieces with 3/16" brass barb splicers that I cut  one side off and tapped it to 5mm threads and put a small o-ring on.  Total cost to make these pieces  was $11.65 at Home Depot.  I then bought 40 ft of 3/16 tubing at 19cents/ft and two 1/4" (they didn't have 3/16") plastic T barb splicers.  I cut the tubing into four 10ft sections and connected the ends with the plastic splicers. I then mounted the tubes on a 2x4 and hung it on the wall.  I then put motor oil in the tube system by plugging 2 of the ends, putting the third in a bottle of oil, and suckig on the fourth.  After some blowing and sucking and waiting, I got all the air bubbles out.  To combat the boucing of the oil in each tube while the engine was running, I took 4 plastic tubes that fit in the tubing and melted over the ends to close them off.  I then heated it again while trying to force a peice of wire through until it popped through to make a small hole.  I put these in the tubes but cutting off the last 6" of each tube and using the plastic tubes to splice them back together together.  I sealed it with electrical tape.  Hooked it up and...absolutely rock steady oil levels that moved quickly and accurately while I adjusted the carbs.  Absolutely perfect.  I cant imagine a better result from any $100 carb sync.  The bike runs a heck of a lot smoother now.  I just had to post these results as I am so happy with the way it turned out and performed and how well the bike runs now.  Total cost for the whole projects was about $20-$22.  I highly suggest trying this is you want to sync your carbs and want the satisfaction of building it yourself.  I cannot take all the credit as some of the methods for making the carb adapters and tube restrictors have been posted here before

I will get a pic later when I am done drinking this beer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:10:48 pm by gorms »

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
Re: Homemade carb synchronizer...100% success! Try it!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 02:58:44 pm »
Manometer:

Bottom:

Restrictor:

Adapter:

And the debut picture of my project as it currently stands:

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: Homemade carb synchronizer...100% success! Try it! ( PICS)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »
Shiny.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:25:36 pm »
Excellent, nice job.
-Alan

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:06:02 pm »
WTG! I love home crafted stuff! Very nice work indeed.
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »
Nice work on the synchronizer and the bike.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:57:04 pm »
well done.  I didn't have the patience and bought a Morgan...
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:58:46 pm »
so the restrictor is just a plastic plug with a pin hole in it basically?  if you could clarify this just a little bit more, i would appreciate it.  i too don't want to have to buy a Morgan!  and i also need to sync my spirit 750!  does this setup work with 2 cylinders?  also, where are the restrictors?  could you point these out on the picture of the whole assembly? 

sorry to be sooo needy, but this will help out immensely with my motorcycles!!  thanks!!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:11 pm »
Congrats and thanks!
so the restrictor is just a plastic plug with a pin hole in it basically?  if you could clarify this just a little bit more, i would appreciate it.
I'm interested in your restrictors too. What size hole and where are your restrictors located? Morgan owners have similar restrictors. Would be nice if one could order them separately somewhere.
Are there any of you that went the other route by using for example beercans as dampeners?
I don't trust my 4 manometers anymore. The 4 connected to one adapter read different values. By the way, done properly, my way of benchsynching gives results within 2 cm Hg.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:57:47 pm by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

damerlasudhir

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 03:25:15 am »
Nice bike! IS this similar to the project they outline in the Haynes and the company workshop manual?
Need to try one out myself. Also have you played around with the viscosity of the oils by any chance?

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:48:15 am »
I can take some more picture but hopfully I can just describe it a bit more.  The restrictors are plastic "spacers" bought from Ace Hardware in their drawers of hardware section.  They are about an inch long and are hollow and fit snugly inside 3/16" tubing. I took a blow torch (overkill) and heated the end and rolled it on the top of a can I smeared with oil so that it wouldnt stick.  Once it was closed off, I took a piece of wire (dont know what kind/size just the stuff that comes on a small roll attached to a cardboard hanger).  I stuck it through the open end and tried to push it through while I heated the end again.  I then dremeled the end to make it round and the right diamater again.  I dont think the size of the hole matters.  With sustained vacuum, pressure will equalize over even the smallest hole.  It just keeps surges of high pressure from affecting the overall average vacuum reading. I dont think it really matters where the restrictors are placed.  I cut the last 6" or 8" off each hose on the ends where they attach the carbs and spliced it in, sealing it with electrical tape.

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 07:51:00 am »
nice bike and way to go on the syncronizer.  I did the same thing only I used auto trans fluid cause I had it on hand and don't own an auto trans car anymore(and the red just looks cool...)

Used miller M5 .035 welding tips...resitrictors/vacuum ports all in one.  Cost $24 total for the tips/tubes/fittings... and like you I've got a bike that runs better than it ever has...  do it yourself tools are so cool.

Nice Job!!!

Offline Kevin400F

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:05:33 am »
Cheap plastic aquarium filter/aerator air supply needle valves work great as restrictors.  Full shut-off if you need it, or open them up and get a few inches of bounce just to make sure you've got a good signal, then pinch down to get your reading.

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 08:44:46 am »
I didn't have the patience and bought a Morgan...

Well the Morgan certianly is a more compact tool so its definately worth the money but there really was very little patience involved in this project.  Once I had the parts, which were easy to find at Home Depot and Ace, it took me about an hour and a half to file and tap the adapters and build the rig.  I expected problems and what not but was suprised when everything worked like a charm.  The longest time spent ws actually adjusting the carbs.  Those suckers are so finicky.  I had them all perfect but as soon as you try to tighten the lock nuts, things get all out of wack again.  My tip would be to get them as close as you can with the lock nuts tight, then fine tune them by forcing the adjusters with the lock nuts fairly tight already.

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 11:01:09 am »
I didn't have the patience and bought a Morgan...

Well the Morgan certianly is a more compact tool so its definately worth the money but there really was very little patience involved in this project.  Once I had the parts, which were easy to find at Home Depot and Ace, it took me about an hour and a half to file and tap the adapters and build the rig.  I expected problems and what not but was suprised when everything worked like a charm.  The longest time spent ws actually adjusting the carbs.  Those suckers are so finicky.  I had them all perfect but as soon as you try to tighten the lock nuts, things get all out of wack again.  My tip would be to get them as close as you can with the lock nuts tight, then fine tune them by forcing the adjusters with the lock nuts fairly tight already.

That's the same thing I ended up doing...just a slight change and it's like you're starting all over again.  VERY TOUCHY
I wish I'd have used 10' of hose per cylinder...I only used 5' per and while it worked well I had a heck of a time having enough reaction time before getting trans fluid too close to the intake and having to kill it.  If you build your own...make it tall...

Offline Joe

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 11:09:39 am »
Looks like I'm gonna have to convert the old V Twin edition......SOHC four lifer.

Also, old carb jets make great restrictors.  Just heat up the tubing and slide em in.  Two stroke oil or ATF has my vote for the filler.  You could even by some of that motion pro manometer fluid if you wanted to get all high fellutin  :-\

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:20:18 am by Joe »

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »
I couldn't work with them onlookers ;D.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »
I used the smallest mig welding tips i could find as restrictors.

worked like a charm, i tried my hand at making plastic ones, but kept messing them up.

These homeade manometers do work very well. I was very surprised how sensitive it was too!
1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:10 pm »
I just wanted to say thanks for this post. I know there are others but I understood this one the most. I just made my manometer today. I'll have to try it out soon.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »
I built something similar years ago but for flowing cylinder heads. I was cheap and used simple clothes pegs as restrictors.  ;D
You could also use the taps that are found in home brewing kits.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:48:52 pm by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:18 am »
With these manometers, can they be used for tuning twins? A friend has '74 CL200 that desperately needs carb tuning. If I plug the ends of two of the tubes will it work?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline jason405

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 09:02:12 am »
Hey Dave,

could you explain a little more detail on how you made your manometer?  What are the 4 tubes at the top right?  How did you hold the tubes to the board? What size tube? 3/16?

Thanks!
Jason

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
Brass tubes are carburetor adapters, typically with M5 thread on one end.

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:47:38 am »
for a twin cylinder all you need is a loop of hose with no T's.   closing or blocking 2 hoses on a 4 cyl setup will work too
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:42 am »

Hey Dave,

could you explain a little more detail on how you made your manometer?  What are the 4 tubes at the top right?  How did you hold the tubes to the board? What size tube? 3/16?

Thanks!
Jason

Yeah sure, no problem. The four tubes on the top right are brass tubes with threads on one end to screw into each carburetor. Some people use mig welding tips but I couldn't find any. So I went to a local motorcycle place and they ordered me a set of the actual adapters for the Motion Pro Syncpro manometer for like $9. The black ends are just plastic caps so dust and crap doesn't get in the tubes when they're being stored. I attached them to the board by taking about a half inch of plastic tubing and slicing it so it opens like...uh...a taco or something. I'm not good with analogies. Then I stapled it to the board and the brass tubes pop in.

The tubing size is 1/4" OD & .17"ID, so just under 3/16ths ID. In retrospect, 3/16ths would have been better, it was kind of hard getting the tubing over the plastic tee fittings.

Anything else you need to know?

---
1978 Honda CB550K