Author Topic: I need an opinion from experienced welders...re: CB750 gas tank  (Read 1889 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
I need an opinion from experienced welders...re: CB750 gas tank
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:55:35 am »
My gas tank i was going to use on my project is likely unusable. I wanted to convert from a right side petcock to a left side petcock. The unusable tank has the left side bing style petcock.

My original gas tank has the 2 screw, right side pet cock. So...

Could the right side mounting be welded over to close the holes and...

Could the bung be cut out of the useless tank and welded into the good tank?

Is there enough material of appropriate thickness to make these kinds of changes?

I have a good welder, but I thought I'd ask around too.

If so, I think this might be the quickest and easiest way to accomplish my goal, without shopping for another tank and adding to my inventory.

I really want to decrease the amount of stuff in my shop, not increase it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: I need an opinion from experienced welders...re: CB750 gas tank
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:07:18 am »
Check the area arounf the bung, it maybe a wider spot on that portion of the tank, where the bung goes....that the early tank may not have.

Should be doable though..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
Check the area arounf the bung, it maybe a wider spot on that portion of the tank, where the bung goes....that the early tank may not have.

Should be doable though..

Thanks, I'll look again at those areas. IIRC there is a flat spot on the right side where the petcock goes. There is a matching flat spot on the left side as well, so I think that will cover it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 750Caferider

• Crazed Idiot
  • 78 CB750 SS
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:29:52 pm »
If you can take your tank and bike to the welder!  If not photo the hell out of the area so that he has a visual reference, also measure everything twice and mark it out or scratch with an awl.

Cheers!
78 CB 750F (Yoshimi)
Just picked up 3 early to mid 70's 750's Hell Yeah!
And a basketcase 70!!!!

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:15 pm »
i think that even with the skills i have with a welder, i'd take it to someone to braze the new petcock bung into the tank. the sheetmetal in those tanks is awfully thin in spots to weld i think. i'd be afraid of blowing holes in it, of course, i also dont know how to tig weld.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:47:49 am »
If you can take your tank and bike to the welder!  If not photo the hell out of the area so that he has a visual reference, also measure everything twice and mark it out or scratch with an awl.

Cheers!

Yes I'll definitely not make an "out of sequence" mistake again. What I had done was de-rust the tank, had the final paintjob painted, then let it sit on a shelf for 9 years, where it rusted out. (I had not properly conclude the de rusting process and the insides were just bare metal.)

This time, I'll wait till the engine and carbs are in the frame, mock up the tank, maybe throw the whole thing on the trailer and take it to the welder to make sure the bung goes where it needs to.

Then get it painted.  My biggest concern is just that its possible, and I see no reason why not.

I'm excited about this idea. I am obssessed about having a left hand petcock. My original tank doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere inside or out. It does have a tiny dent but bondo will fix that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:50:56 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:05:17 am »
you could send it down and I could Laser weld it
Let me know

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

masonryman

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:39:21 am »
In one of the welding shops I used to work in, we soldered the pin holes but welded all other mods in fuel tanks. if you try it your self put a shop vac in the gas fill hole to keep fumes from building.

I am just up the road in Muncie you could bring it by the body shop if you don't want to try, or if you o try and have problems.

A link to some pics of a current project
http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/rmherndon/

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:47:52 am »
In one of the welding shops I used to work in, we soldered the pin holes but welded all other mods in fuel tanks. if you try it your self put a shop vac in the gas fill hole to keep fumes from building.

I am just up the road in Muncie you could bring it by the body shop if you don't want to try, or if you o try and have problems.

A link to some pics of a current project
http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/rmherndon/
Thanks for the offer! I was wondering where Selma was, Muncie clears it up.

I've been using a shop for my other welding issues and may stay with them, personal reasons..

I won't be doing it myself for sure.

I'm still waiting on the final analysis of the leaking tank. Small chance it is salvageable. But the more I think of it, I'm liking the idea of just switching the petcock on the good tank.

I'll let you know.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:00 am »
you could send it down and I could Laser weld it
Let me know

Jim

Thanks for the offer. Just curious where "down" is.   :)
Ride Safe:
Ron

masonryman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:50:27 am »
how far down, that could get deep ::)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:33 am »
a couple more thoughts..
 You can use stocker on the other side, but  on/reserve pattern will be reversed, and you have to make a rectangular plate.

Be careful rewelding a bung, often they have a lip that fits into the hole, plus a slight flange, that makes welding easier than welding a bung flating in a hole (easey to end up crooked) What I mean is the fresh bung should be bigger than the hole, easier to weld, and squares itself up..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:28 am »
a couple more thoughts..
 You can use stocker on the other side, but  on/reserve pattern will be reversed, and you have to make a rectangular plate.

Be careful rewelding a bung, often they have a lip that fits into the hole, plus a slight flange, that makes welding easier than welding a bung flating in a hole (easey to end up crooked) What I mean is the fresh bung should be bigger than the hole, easier to weld, and squares itself up..

Already bot a new left hand petcock, would like to use it.

When/if I ask them to cut the bung off the leaker, I'll ask them to give me as much metal as possible for the next welder to work with.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 09:24:32 am »
You may be able to slip a holesaw (less pilot) over the bung to cut it.
 just remember its easier if the bung or part of it is a bit bigger than the hole.. that why you maghine a small lip into it.. so lip goes in the hole and the wider portion stays outside the hole.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:27:00 am »
You may be able to slip a holesaw (less pilot) over the bung to cut it.
 just remember its easier if the bung or part of it is a bit bigger than the hole.. that why you maghine a small lip into it.. so lip goes in the hole and the wider portion stays outside the hole.

Understood, thanks!
Ride Safe:
Ron