Author Topic: Swapping HandleBar Switches between CB's  (Read 881 times)

Offline phrige

• Enthusiast
    • Peter.Ox
Swapping HandleBar Switches between CB's
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:34:26 am »
My conversion is giving me trouble. Im putting nice new 1976 CB360T Handle bar controls where my ratty old 1975 CB550 controls used to be, most of it works, just not 100%.

The oddest thing is functions seem to spring up the longer i leave it on (not running).

1/2 turn on the key = both low and high beam selection on the left hand control yields only neutral light on and oil light on.

whole turn key into ignition ready
Low beam: lowbeam headlight. running lights on turn signals and alternate turn signals (if i select left turn the right one stays solid, vice versa), Brake light low power.

High Beam: Highbeam Headlight, no turnsignals at all, and brakelight BRIGHT as though im pressing iton neither setting does the brake light react to my pressing, nor the horn, no more neutral light and no electric start.

Are there some connections i need to jump or split? The 550 has a lot more electrical functions and wires than the 360 does.

what ever tips you guys might have would be great.  Im just looking for on 'whole turn ignition mode' for the headlights to work, brake, turnsignals and electric start. Just got to figure out how to make that all happen.

THanks,
Pete
Blog

"the hole theeng needs to be frushed down the toylit." -flybox1

Project Screaming Eagle - 75' CB550

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
Re: Swapping HandleBar Switches between CB's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »
Sounds like you have a bad ground and you are getting a feedback loop of the current. Just make a new ground up there, probably inside the headlight housing. Connect it to the ground on the wiring harness. I was getting headlights, and when I sqeezed the clutch lever, headlights go off and turn signals go on steady, no flashing. Mine shares a common ground throughout, a dark green wire I think.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:34:25 pm by BVCB650 »
1979 CB650, 25K miles, recently refurbished

Offline phrige

• Enthusiast
    • Peter.Ox
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:00:37 pm »
awsome thanks.. i was ganna go over my grounds next. Hoping that would do it. Thanks for the info.

Cant wait to get this bike on the road.
Pete
Blog

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:56:26 pm »
No problem. I spent about 3 weeks tracking down my gremlins. Mine was so intermitant, that I didn't know where to start. I had turn signal switch, horn, clutch safety switch,  high beams pulled apart. In the end, I used a ground from the wiring inside the head lights, and used the wire that was supposed to ground the turn signals to the headlight ears. They were just in there flopping and didn't look like they were ever hooked up. That did it. I did clean the stock grounds good, but no joy on those.

Offline phrige

• Enthusiast
    • Peter.Ox
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:11:53 pm »
Nice, it gets pretty tricky with these bikes. previous owners have a hay day and you dont know where to start. that was my problem. the previous guy did all kinds of tricks, splicing wires inside the bars etc.. (in order to fit these big ape hangers).. thats why i opted to just get new electronics then try to resalvage wires that have been through hell.

i was wondering too, can you pick up these joints at electrical stores or honda stores.. the tips on the wires inside the headlight bucket are a little bulbous and they fit into these little copper like sleeves. one of the 'blankets' to the sleeve has broken off from wear on one connection. i was thinking of replacing some anyway. Any idea what they are called?

Pete
Blog

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:34:51 am »
Sorry, I do not. I don't have a source for OEM electrical connections, but a good search may come up with some. Honda is always a good place to start.