Author Topic: Need parts for a 650  (Read 1895 times)

4cylfun

Need parts for a 650
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:48:28 am »
I haven't been on here forever.  I owned a cb360, a terd it was, and joined here only to learn this caters more to the 4 cylinders.

Well i now have in my possesion an '82  cb 650 sc.  My friend is loosing interest and i'm tempted to buy it from him. 

As of now i'm fixing it for him but it is a rather cool bike aside from the fact its heavy as balls and as slow if now slower than my 250 triple.

So anyway here's what i need and maybe some of you can help me.

The Left cylinders smoke out the exhaust.  I can't quite tell the color, its either white or faint blue.  I did a compression check and got an even 130-135 across the board dry and 150-155 wet.  So that tells me there some rings are in order.  They should be at least, hell it has 39,xxx miles on it.  I also noticed there is oil seaping out of the two L cylinders.  So since its pressure fed on that side of the engine i would assume some of the oil is bypassing the oil passage and going into the cylinders making the smoke i see.  It generally smokes after it warms up.  Then its like a fog bomb.

Next the accelerator pump is torn around the piston.  I've priced the kit from honda and its 80 dollars.  That seems rediculous to me since its the size of a dime.  But then again the Diaphragms for the cb360 were 120 a piece so i guess i could see stupid pricing on this.

Really thats about all this little .......fat girl needs.  When it runs it runs wonderfully and sings.  The pump leaks gas constantly though if the petcock is on so i can't really run it with the gas on. 

So if it is worth buying what would you pay for it.  I have a picture or two of it if you would like to see it.

He nick named it "smokey bones."  Thats why there's a skull and cross bones on it.

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
Re: Need parts for a 650
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »
I wouldn't be a fan of anything newer than 1980 cb650, but the way you discribe it, I would say it is in the $5-600 ballpark.
1979 CB650, 25K miles, recently refurbished

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:43:22 pm »
I'd offer $400 to $500. 

As a comparison, I bought an '81 a few years ago that came with a 2nd engine ('79), 2 extra rear wheels, 1 extra front wheel and 3 sets of extra carbs for $630.
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »
That guy needs to have a garage sale.

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:01:36 pm »
If the chrome is in nice shape it might make more sense to part it out. These bikes are really difficult to cafe or chop so the closer to stock it is the higher the price. There was a mint blue NH on ebay last year that went for over 3k.

If you do end up parting it out let me know...I could use a new clutch cover.  ;)
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08:12 pm »
 Things I like on those bikes are the dual front brakes and the air forks.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:16 pm »
There's no way in hell that it should be slower than the 250.  These things will easily pull 70 in 3rd when tuned right.

I'd pay in the $400-500 range,  but know that you will likely need to do a top end job on it. Parts 'n More and siriusconinc have carb parts ('n more!) and parts are pretty easy to find for '81 and '82 650s.

"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline magnum56

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:10:54 pm »

I interpreted the estimates of 5 - 600 dollar range assumed an AS IS price.

Are you trying to determine it's worth after everything is fixed ? 
'74 CB750K

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »
Did anybody read anything what i put down.

I realize it needs a top end job, that's why i went into describing the piston rings, the head gaskets, stem seals.......

But you really think its quicker than a '75 Kawasaki triple????

The CB650 has 42HP and weighs 470.  A 250 Triple has 32hp and weighs in at 326.  So far to me the 650 seems like a failed attempt at something sporty.

But i do like how it is heavy so interstate travel would be possible.

500 bucks is what i should offer him though after i fix it for him?  I'm not saying you are all wrong but to me this seems like it would be worth a little more?

And the guy thats needs a garage sale is me.  I lost my job in feb and have been un able to find any work at all.  I live with my parents now so all the junk in the background is stuff that i haven't sold yet.  The garage used to be full, i've pretty much sold everything i own at the moment.

Dude...in it's present shape, leaks, worn rings, ridiculous paint job, 33k it's not worth much more than $500. If you fix it up and get rid of the jolly roger you might get $1200 assuming the rest of it is in OK shape. I paid $700 for my bike not running but with only 8k miles, and in perfect shape...In NYC.
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
I'd say it's worth 500 bucks. Looks like a nice bike besides the paint. It's a shame the stripes are gone. The engine is very easy to take apart. You can do rings with it still in the frame. I wouldn't part it out. But if you did.. i could use some parts for mine.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:48 pm »
With the smoke you describe and the lack of performance (no it won't zip like a two stroke but it will pull like a school boy once running right) plus the torn accelerator pump diaphram I'd say she's only running on 2 cylinders!
Hey don't laugh, the 650 will happily "idle" on one!
If you ignore the leaks etc from the head as we all have a few of those and concentrate on the carbs you may find a different bike altegether.
I had the same model as that and it was one powerful beastie once I cured all it's ills.
Not sure if you should attempt to ressurect a bike with no income though (not down on you. I been there too) but my 650 has so far cost me $3560 from wreck to road worthy.
I'd love another of those 82 650's though, they are the very very last of the SOHC4 bikes ever built.
$500 U.S. sounds about right but offer before you fix it so you know you are working on your own machine.
Good luck with it..............Hush. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 04:21:53 pm »
There's no way in hell that it should be slower than the 250.  These things will easily pull 70 in 3rd when tuned right.

I'd pay in the $400-500 range,  but know that you will likely need to do a top end job on it. Parts 'n More and siriusconinc have carb parts ('n more!) and parts are pretty easy to find for '81 and '82 650s.

I agree on the $400 - $600 range.
And he might be talking about a modern 250....
And tuned right... they can do wonders for a 30 year old bike. You can hit 70 mighty quick when trying to get there in a hurry.
(ie. - on-ramps for the highway)
I can out accelerate most cars, so i'm happy.
But being (in your case) nearly a 30 year old bike(if you get it) remember....
This is 30 year old tech.
It was good for it's time, but if you want a speeder..... you're better off with a modern litre bullet bike.

I am partial to honda cb650 bikes.
Got 3 of them now....

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650