Author Topic: I've been K0'd! #4 was parted out, now getting parted in.  (Read 116555 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: I've been K0'd! 13 years later, diecast motor parts and spokes.
« Reply #775 on: June 07, 2022, 12:06:51 am »
 I was cleaning the shop and there was a spoke nipple on the floor, it was shiny and it screwed onto a new spoke so now there will be only one old spoke on that new rear rim.  My shop has been looking like a bomb went off in it. The new goal is lasting neatness.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #776 on: June 07, 2022, 08:00:49 am »
Great goal, tough to achieve in shops that are actually used. Requires lots of discipline which I struggle with.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #777 on: June 07, 2022, 08:36:53 am »
 I tend to focus on the task at hand. Rather than putting tools and parts away they get left on the bench or lift where they were used. Then, I jump project to project.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #778 on: June 07, 2022, 02:00:32 pm »
I promised myself yesterday as I was working on my truck in the carport that once I retire I’m gonna sell everything that’s taking up space in my shop that I don’t use. Seriously I am a parts and tool hoarder, and need to get rid of 75% of the stuff here. A dozen bike projects, several drill presses, a coldsaw, welders, compressors, tubs of bike parts, heaps of unused tools, God, what a mess! 2025 is gonna be a busy year…. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #779 on: June 08, 2022, 01:48:22 pm »
 I hear you.

Offline JamesH

• Enthusiast
« Reply #780 on: June 08, 2022, 02:12:43 pm »
I promised myself yesterday as I was working on my truck in the carport that once I retire I’m gonna sell everything that’s taking up space in my shop that I don’t use. Seriously I am a parts and tool hoarder, and need to get rid of 75% of the stuff here. A dozen bike projects, several drill presses, a coldsaw, welders, compressors, tubs of bike parts, heaps of unused tools, God, what a mess! 2025 is gonna be a busy year…. ;D
We need to start a new group - ‘hoarding #$%* anonymous’.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #781 on: June 08, 2022, 05:19:23 pm »

Ha ha, I’ll kick it off James. Hello, my name is Terry and I am a hoarder……. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #782 on: June 08, 2022, 06:04:00 pm »
I bet it takes you more than just 2025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #783 on: June 24, 2022, 08:04:40 pm »
 I got new Sandcast length fork tubes today, I have the fork lowers and everything else except the 47mm circlips so I can re-build a really nice set. If the diecast doesn't have small seal forks they will go on it and I'll have a set to add to my "to be sold" K0 stash of parts. Titled frame and rebuildable motor, I need to begin a stack of parts and post a picture.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:17:12 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I've been K0'd!
« Reply #784 on: July 04, 2022, 03:18:15 pm »
 I robbed the hardware (wire rings and snap rings) from a set of k2 forks that I chopped the rusty ends off of a while back. It did need the K0 diameter slider bushings to fit. New 450 fork seals are ordered but I didn't get a 47mm snap ring yet. I believe one of these was rusted and broke coming out. The one new one I have looks like a 46mm. 
 It should make a sweet set of K0 forks, I'm saving the rebuilt K0 hub and rim for my blue/green bike that currently has Lesters on it.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #785 on: July 04, 2022, 04:39:49 pm »

Just don’t talk to my wife!

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #786 on: July 04, 2022, 06:22:43 pm »
I get it, I’m pretty space restricted in the back of the garage. It’s an 1100 square foot garage but it’s used for lots of stuff. I keep it to one drill press, a big tool box with the majority of the wrenches and stuff, I do a lot of wood work so I have a small planer, table saw, miter saw, etc. Most tools are on wheeled carts with storage underneath. I maximize all the space so I can move to do work. It’s a tough discipline.
I’m thinking of getting a Mig welder at this late stage.
Terry, we’d love to all come over and help out with the clean out!
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2022, 02:05:21 am »
Ha ha, you're all welcome to come over guys, apart from 18 motorcycles (some in pieces) in and around my garage (plus 7 at the storage place and one at Spotty's house) there are a couple of nice Australian made pedestal drills that I dragged home, plus a "Brobo saw" (professional metal cutting saw) car engine hoist (only used once) several air compressors, 2 MIG welders, 2 TIG welders, an ARC welder, Oxy/Acetylene welder, lathe, milling/drilling machine, multiple hand drills, grinders, sanders, paint guns, etc.

Then there are several CB750 engines, frames, wheels, forks, gas tanks, exhaust systems, tubs of parts, both new and used, plus heaps of other stuff I've forgotten about. MB is right, I don't expect to get it all cleaned out by 2025, but I hope that it's all gone by 2045, I'd hate for my kids to have to clean it all up. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #788 on: July 05, 2022, 04:21:53 pm »
 I rode blue/green today and it wasn't so great, didn't idle well, ran awesome on the road and pulled hard but I need the 18 tooth front sprocket back on it if I'm doing a lot of highway riding. It dropped a cylinder and then two. Barely ran for a quarter mile or so then it picked them back up and it ran the last two miles to home on 3 or 4 cylinders. 
 I took a picture of it in front of the closed Harley Shop. Bad karma maybe?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #789 on: July 07, 2022, 01:33:10 pm »
It looked good in that pic you posted in the other thread Don, all bikes need to be ridden regularly to get the best out of them, I was surprised that my K2 Bitsa fired right up recently after a 6 or 7 month unintentional layup, and ran fine on the ancient gas in the tank, but Per explained that higher RON fuel seems to last longer than standard pump gas, so that might be why. ;D

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #790 on: July 07, 2022, 02:24:32 pm »
My fuel seems to hold up well, ethanol free.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #791 on: July 07, 2022, 02:25:14 pm »
My fuel hold up well, no ethanol.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #792 on: July 07, 2022, 02:42:48 pm »
My fuel seems to hold up well, ethanol free.

My fuel hold up well, no ethanol.

The fuel here has ethanol in it Steve, doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Usually after a few months it doesn’t even smell like fuel any more, that was why I was surprised that it ran at all. The tank was 2/3 full of the stuff but I managed to get a few litres of fresh fuel into it, which may have helped during the ride, but that was after I started it on the old crap. ;D

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #793 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:23 am »
Ethanol is a real pain in the rear.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #794 on: July 08, 2022, 09:07:47 am »
 I used a 50/50 mix of 110 Av gas and no alky 87 octane regular. A friend does that for his Simplex and Indian motorcycles with no fuel spoiling. My 40 chevy got most of it. Its Holley carb is plugging up with some kind of rubbery sludge. I think a braided fuel line is melting from within. I'll replace it with a fresh one that has the liner in it.
 The jury is still out on how well it worked. I've cleaned the blue green tank several times since the painter got sandblast sand inside of it so there is always that issue. Now I have another excuse for not taking a bike to the drag strip this weekend. 
 I'm headed to the race car trailer to load up for a test race even though our two day event next weekend has been moved to a track that I prefer not to attend due to its condition and distance from here.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #795 on: July 16, 2022, 04:45:41 pm »
  The blue/green bike is a real pig when stopping. I've been hoping the pads would break in but in 400 miles, no joy yet. With this motor good brakes are a must, during the last ride I was worried I'd be having too much fun going and not get stopped when I needed to.
   It has a good stock caliper, M/C and rotor but a set of cheap Kevlar composite pads. I think I'll find a good set of stock pads and try them. 
  Looking at pics of my early right side caliper mounts and a modified speedometer driving rotor got me thinking about dual discs, but I've been making this resto-mod more and more correct, undoing the PO's part swapping.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #796 on: July 16, 2022, 04:51:00 pm »
Don.... I recently used a similar pad choice on my KLR650 front. They were so bad, I put the originals back in and ordered a stock set from Kawasaki. They work great! There is some nasty crap out there.....

One of these days I want to try a cast iron disc conversion from Australia, on my cb750K1. My Benelli SEI has twin Brembo fronts on iron discs and it has serious stopping power.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:59:05 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #797 on: July 21, 2022, 04:04:34 pm »
 I'm rebuilding a set of sandcast forks just because I have them. New (emgo?) replacement tubes, seals and I've moved the fork tube parts from a pair of chopped off K1 tubes that were rusted beyond use to the new tubes.
 I'm thinking a light polish on the moving parts and a dab of assembly lube. My 1 1/2" pvc seal driver is too big for the OD of the 450 fork seals. I may try to sand one down a little.
 Did I read sandcast fork tubes are 23" long and later K0 are 23 13/16" or something like that?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #798 on: August 02, 2022, 03:58:11 pm »
 The Old Red sandcast got a turn getting out of the garage today. I put about 50 miles on it.
 I rode past an older cb750 mechanic's house, his garage door was open, and the back of a classic car was showing so I slowed down and did a u turn to stop. He was once partnered with the guy who owned the sandcast and the K2 dragbike. By the time I was turned around the door was down and the Dog was loose in the yard.  I can take a hint.
  I rode it past where the Honda shop was, where the original owner lived, where the guy who stored it until I got it had his shop, where the Kawasaki shop was, I realized the PO's of most of my bikes are gone and all that's left is my brother and me and the bikes I'm sitting on.
  Old Red didn't miss a beat even at 85 on the 4 lane and the heat of stop lights. A couple times the clutch was grabby and the rear brake squealed. I know the shoe looked good and wasn't corroded but will need another look. I wanted to keep the oem brake shoe but will change it if needed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:04:34 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I've been K0'd! Back to the first bike.
« Reply #799 on: October 11, 2022, 10:18:40 am »
 I took the diecast for a spin to a dentist appointment, about a half mile away at a stop sign it backfired and dropped a cylinder. I made it to the appointment on time. I believe it has aftermarket float valves but am not positive, too many bikes and no paper trail. Dang. The #1 carb has always been an issue.
 Since the resto it's got 385 miles on it, that probably the root of the problem.  I feel the need to check valve lash and may replace the free to me Pamco with a new old stock 20 year old Dyna just to eliminate possibilities.