Author Topic: Looking for a good no mess chain lubricant  (Read 6385 times)

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
Looking for a good no mess chain lubricant
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
Hi all!  I am wondering what a good no mess chain lubricant would be.  On my '72 CB 750 I made the chain oiler disfunctional so I oil my chain at about 700 to 1000 miles, sometimes less frequently. I have been using PJ1 Black Label.  It works great!  My o-ring chain is still within specs after 8,000 miles.  Problem is the PJ1 makes a huge mess!  My chrome rim on my rear tire turns greasey black.  PJ1 gets on my exhaust pipes, kickstand, and center stand.  A greasy mess!!! After cleaning the bike with Simple Green and a rag followed by a rinse with water and a towel dry (about 2 hours of labor), I decided there has to be a better way!  Every spoke on the rear wheel was coated with the thick PJ1 grease (arghh...)!  Thoughts anyone?  What about dry chain lube like bicycle shops sell?  What would lubricate the chain well, but not make a mess?

Justin in Texas

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Looking for a good no mess chain lubricant
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:22:15 pm »
I also have shut-off the oiler on my K0 and use PJ1. I have no real problems with it making a mess though. Are you wiping-off the chain (with a rag for example) after you lube it? Lube on the exterior of the chain does little except accumulate dirt and grit. Better to wipe it off after things have set.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Honda?

• Made in the Midwest
  • Enthusiast
  • BEER!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:24:38 pm »
Shaft drive.  :P
I have a 1970 CB350 SS, 1988 NT650(Hawk GT), 2004 BMW R1100S

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »
I just go some Shaeffer chain lube that is supposed to resist fly-off as well as have some "anti-static" charge so that it doesn't attract dust/dirt etc...

I thought the chain specific lubes were suppose to dry firm and not fly-off creating mess?
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:37:52 pm »
I have never wiped off my chain after using PJ1 Black Label.  I let it set overnight and then ride, the "mess" soon follows.  Will wiping off the chain eliminate the "mess".  If so, how long after applying do you need to wait before wipe off.  I thought about trying PJ1 clear to see if the "mess" lessened.  I am more tempted to try a dry chain lube?  Do dry chain lubes work and which ones work good?

Justin in Texas

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »
I use a product called Chain Wax. I do not notice a large amount of overspray.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:54:58 pm »
Thanks!  Can you get "Chain Wax" at most any bike shop or is it an online product?  Your bike looks like you don't have a problem with the "mess" and "slinging."

Justin

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:08:09 pm »
Chain Wax is made by Maxima and can be had from any major bike shop.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »
Chain wax for me also. I'm using a standard Diamond brand chain and thats all I have used on it.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:47:16 am »
.. If so, how long after applying do you need to wait before wipe off.

I do it immediately. Wiping off the exterior still leaves behind enough of a film to protect against corrosion.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:37:30 am »
I let it set overnight and then ride, the "mess" soon follows.  Will wiping off the chain eliminate the "mess".  If so, how long after applying do you need to wait before wipe off.  I thought about trying PJ1 clear to see if the "mess" lessened.  I am more tempted to try a dry chain lube?  Do dry chain lubes work and which ones work good?

In Bold is pat of your problem - the other part is that chain lube makes a mess... there's just no getting away from that.

Try this: Take the bike out for a good ride to get the chain warmed right up. THEN lube the chain with the PJ1 and let it sit overnight. In the morning wipe off the excess. By lubing while the chain is warm, it helps the lube to seep into the little cracks and crevasses where it needs to be where as a with a cold chain it isn't as likely to do that.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline lrutt

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:43:29 am »
If you run an oring chain then the only thing you really need to worry about is keeping the chain from rusting and providing only the most minimal amount of lubrication. You will never get any lube past the orings to lube inside the chain so don't even try. The traditional chain lubes and using them on a hot chain are the requirements for non-oring type chains. That works.

But for orings, clean the chain up good and use the chain wax. You have virtually no mess this way and your chains will last a goodly long time. It's key to keep this greasy buildup off the chain as it only attracts dirt and sand that acts as an abrasive and accelerates chain wear instead of preventing it. So use sparingly.
06 Harley Sporster 1200C, 06 Triumph Scrambler, 01 Ducati Chromo 900, 01 Honda XR650L, 94 Harley Heritage, 88 Honda Hawk GT, 84 Yamaha Virago 1000, 78 Honda 750K w/sidecar, 77 Moto Guzzi Lemans 850, 76 Honda CB750K, 73 Norton 850, 73 Honda Z50, 70 & 65 Honda Trail 90, 70 & 71 Triumph 650s, 65 Honda 305 Dream, 81 Honda 70 Passport, 70 Suzuki T250II, 71 Yamaha 360 RT1B, 77 BMW R75/7, 75 Honda CB550K, 70 Honda CT70

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:14:52 am »
Lubing your chain while warm is key to getting the lube where it is needed.  It is the only way to lube an o-ring chain.  The only thing I would add is when you do the wipe off the next morning, spray WD-40 on the rag.  This will allow a more thorough cleaning on the outside of the chain.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:16 am »
You might want to search around for some Kal-Gard (with moly). I bought a case of it (10) in 1992, still have 6 cans left, it lasts that long and takes so little. If you spray it on a warmed-up chain, then let it set its wax overcoat for an hour or so, there is very, very little flingoff.

My normal method: I wash down the chain at the carwash (like on the way home from work), ride a few miles until it dries out, centerstand the bike and spray it on only the inside. Then I let it sit overnight. About once or possibly twice per season, I'll clean the rear wheel of the little bit of splatter.

The PJ1 is good lube: it just "crawls" along on the bike.  :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 07:53:54 am »
I used PJ1, but I think there are some special procedures.

First, only oil the chain when it is hot after a good ride, then let it soak in.  Wipe off the excess.

You may still get a little bit of fling on the rim, but nothing you can't just wipe off with a paper towel & WD-40.
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1997 YAMAHA XJ600S - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Jetting: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg258435#msg258435
Needles:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg253711#msg253711

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 11:57:09 am »
FWIW, here's the result of a test done by the Dutch AA, many years ago (punten means points.) Winner happens to be bio-degradable too, but I believe nowadays most are.

Shell Advance 51 punten
Profi Dry Lube 50 punten
Sonax 48 punten
AS 48 punten
Motul 48 punten
Castrol 47 punten
Bel-Ray Chain Lube 42 punten
Motorex Chainlube 622 40 punten
S100 Kettingspray Wit 39 punten
S100 Kettingspray 39 punten
Putoline Tech Chain 35 punten
Itaco 35 punten
Valvoline Chain & Cable lube 34 punten
Putoline O-Ring 33 punten
Spray It 32 punten
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:58:56 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
Get my chain wax at my local Honda dealer.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 06:12:33 pm »
FWIW, here's the result of a test done by the Dutch AA, many years ago (punten means points.) Winner happens to be bio-degradable too, but I believe nowadays most are.

Shell Advance 51 punten
Profi Dry Lube 50 punten
Sonax 48 punten
AS 48 punten
Motul 48 punten
Castrol 47 punten
Bel-Ray Chain Lube 42 punten
Motorex Chainlube 622 40 punten
S100 Kettingspray Wit 39 punten
S100 Kettingspray 39 punten
Putoline Tech Chain 35 punten
Itaco 35 punten
Valvoline Chain & Cable lube 34 punten
Putoline O-Ring 33 punten
Spray It 32 punten

Cool!
Do you have any more details about what all of those are? Like, are they moly types, oil types, wax types, etc.?

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline NoXi

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »
i use jb chain oil.  its cheep and cleans up decent. *just make sure that the wheel isnt spinning fast when you wipe of the oil.... did that with my electric scooter a while ago and clipped off a good portion of my thumb
Real men don't the need directions
2x 82' gl500's (dizzy & the brown streak)
    81' gs550 (pos)
    74ish cb750 (chop project)

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 06:50:46 pm »
I read about some kind of teflon chain lube, I'll have to find it again.

Here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:53:50 pm by MJL »
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 11:46:37 pm »
Cool!
Do you have any more details about what all of those are? Like, are they moly types, oil types, wax types, etc.?
Again: FWIW.
Test was carried out many years ago. They were all the kind that gets on fluid, so it can penetrate and stiffen later. Products were tested for lubing performance, durability and fling off. I don't remember any information about substances. I'm satisfied with this Shell product, but the old way: chain in a warm Castrol Kettenfett bath was best. Chain became real hot this way and not the kind of luke warm after riding. Alas, this product is not in the shops anymore. Very best IMO is a closed chain housing. Dutchman Henk Besselink claims to have covered 230.000 kms+ on his CB 750 with the same chain in a Tyrra casing, with only one adjustment so far. Another made in Germany was the "Becker Fettkasten". In such an oilbath chains lived forever. I don't know why they've disappeared. Maybe they leaked. If they were still around, I definitely would buy one. I believe MZ motorcycles still have enclosed drivechains. Sensible bikes, MZ's.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:18:32 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline IHWillys

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 09:08:25 am »
...Very best IMO is a closed chain housing. Dutchman Henk Besselink claims to have covered 230.000 kms+ on his CB 750 with the same chain in a Tyrra casing, with only one adjustment so far. Another made in Germany was the "Becker Fettkasten". In such an oilbath chains lived forever. I don't know why they've disappeared. Maybe they leaked. If they were still around, I definitely would buy one. I believe MZ motorcycles still have enclosed drivechains. Sensible bikes, MZ's.

The early '80s Yamaha XV920RJ, aka "Euro" Virago, had an enclosed chain though I don't think the chain ran in an oil bath.  Regardless, it was reported to be very easy on chains, presumably due to the protection from weather/dust/dirt/sand/etc.  Obviously, it also keeps the chain lubricant off the bike.

Edit: Satisfied user of the Maxima Chain Wax here.

Ken

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 10:27:05 am »
I have used Bel Ray chain lube for several years.  It is the only lube that is truly no fling.  After cleaning the chain let it dry, spray the lube and let dry 20 minutes.  This stuff really sticks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:16:43 pm by mrblasty »
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 07:40:07 pm »
Cool!
Again: FWIW.
Test was carried out many years ago. They were all the kind that gets on fluid, so it can penetrate and stiffen later. Products were tested for lubing performance, durability and fling off. I don't remember any information about substances. I'm satisfied with this Shell product, but the old way: chain in a warm Castrol Kettenfett bath was best. Chain became real hot this way and not the kind of luke warm after riding. Alas, this product is not in the shops anymore. Very best IMO is a closed chain housing. Dutchman Henk Besselink claims to have covered 230.000 kms+ on his CB 750 with the same chain in a Tyrra casing, with only one adjustment so far. Another made in Germany was the "Becker Fettkasten". In such an oilbath chains lived forever. I don't know why they've disappeared. Maybe they leaked. If they were still around, I definitely would buy one. I believe MZ motorcycles still have enclosed drivechains. Sensible bikes, MZ's.

There were 3 distinctly different enclosed chain cases for the 750 that I remember. One was from Bates, I think, and the other two from companies that seemed to only offer that item, then disappeared. One of those was a diecast aluminum unit that bolted where the chainguard used to on K2 and later swingarms, and reached all the way around to the front sprocket. It had a rubber bellows top & bottom where it crossed the swingarm. Very difficult to install properly, ran 90w oil inside. There were several seals on it: one behind the countersprocket and one behind the rear sprocket (which didn't actually work back there, but relied on the centrifugal force to fling the oil outward to the case for recovery). I only know of one of these that got installed, but at last contact it had gone over 20,000 miles without a single adjustment, nor need for it. It was pretty heavy, at about 12 pound.

The other one (not Bates) was a 2-piece upper-lower shell of sheet metal that had a lower portion that reached up under the countersprocket to catch the drips: worked fairly well, except fot the 90w oil drool that would slowly collect on the sidestand (much like with conventional chain lube). It kept the dust off the chain and [most of] the oil inside, and greatly improved chain life over exposed chains. It was easily bent, though, and only fit the K2-K6 bikes because of the forward chain guard's bolt hole (which is missing on K0-K1 arms).

The third one was just a fiberglass clamshell that fit over the chain like a dust cover. It would enclosed the chain lube spray, which had to be applied through a little removeable rubber plug: it was almost impossible to see inside to determine if the chain needed adjustment. Many of these, therefore, got destroyed when the loose chains started whacking away on the lower case half on accel, and would tear out chunks on the top half, right near the swingarm pivot, during hard decel. I remember riding to Black Hills [across South Dakota] and seeing one of these lying on the side of the road in pieces, and then several more unmistakable pieces of other ones along I-90 after that, during the week after Sturgis, 1972. I think this was the one Bates was selling. (I also noted at least two Bates windshields lying on the side of the same road, from their ill-fated handlebar fairings!)

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 07:58:10 pm »
I always liked the idea of an enclosed and oiled drive chain but I never really looked closely enough to try to figure out how to implement it.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D