Author Topic: 1974 honda cb350f electrical/battery problems?  (Read 2279 times)

tmonterosso

1974 honda cb350f electrical/battery problems?
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »
i have a 1974 honda cb350f. great bike, when it starts. not sure why, but even after installing a new battery and the bike running great for over a month, it was dead this morning when i went to ride into work. it seems like there is a slow drain on the battery, as i used to have to hook it up to a charger more than once a week before i installed the new battery. any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Offline kirkn

• Expert
Re: 1974 honda cb350f electrical/battery problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:59:09 pm »
Disconnect the battery (+) lead and install a DC ammeter in the circuit.  DO NOT USE THE STARTER or you could overheat the light-gauge meter wires.

This will show you if there is any current flowing while the key is off.  This will confirm any slow drain.

If there is a drain, start disconnecting things (headlight, taillight, blinkers, ignition coils, etc) until the drain stops.  You've found it.

If there's NO current drain, then standard charging troubleshooting techniques apply - posted numerous threads elsewhere.

Good luck, and report back what/if you find.

Kirk

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
Re: 1974 honda cb350f electrical/battery problems?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:56:12 am »
Check the regulator to see if the PO adjusted it so it "charges" all the time.  You'll be able to tell this if one or all the contacts have been adjusted so they never open.  This keeps the rectifier in the circuit all the time, and will drain a battery.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org