Author Topic: boyer bransden  (Read 3807 times)

Offline paddy paul

• Enthusiast
boyer bransden
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:36:00 pm »
 Does any one have any experience with the Boyer bransden ignitions, found one for sale and was wondering if they are as reliable as the rest or are prone to fail, any feed back would be great thanks..

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: boyer bransden
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:54:51 pm »
Ran one for 5 years on the CR, no problems at all, once set forget and you pick up a couple of bhp in the process.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:31:42 am »
they do have the ocasional failure as does anything electronic but nothing regular or specific
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:06:14 am »
I've run them on all of my race hondas for the past 12 years. They are faultless and handle vibration very well. As Sam says, once set they are maintenance free. The only time I have changed from one is to move to a self-generating ignition to save battery weight and messing on a constant loss ignition.

The support and spares backup is excellent too - still essentially a family run and friendly company.
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:38:49 am »
Run them on my Turbo, before selling it removed it and will use it again on one of my bikes.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:01:40 am »
and you pick up a couple of bhp in the process.
Can you explain us how?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 11:45:49 am »
Much more efficient burning of the fuel charge, it also makes for easier starting and enables you to get it off the choke quicker.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:35 pm »
These sound nice, How do they stack up to other CDI? I'm in the prelim stages of a rebuild and looking into all options. Available for a cb550, too?
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »
As you're in the States, not much point buying British when you have so many good systems over there.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Seamus

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:07:18 am »
Which one is recommended? The early one or the micro digital?

Cheers

Seamus

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:05 am »
As you're in the States, not much point buying British when you have so many good systems over there.

Sam. ;)

we do kick @ss don't we.  ;D

i am fasinated though by the stuff i see advertised in yer brit rags. example: lazer/marshall exhaust for the 550 vs. mac.  :'(

sorry for the hijack. continue with your tea and crumpets.  :-*
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 12:45:12 am »
is that boyer bransden magnetic or optical trigger?
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:27 am »
Magnetic - the optical triggers are Newtronic or Pirahna ignitions in the UK if you have an old one. I could never get the optical ignition to work reliably on my 350 K4 so switched to boyer and it was faultless.

Micro digital is best IMHO...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:48:22 am »
I've had good results with a Boyer on  my Triumphs, aside from an initial snafu:  the solder on the back of the circuit board was too thick and was struck by the rotating assembly.  This caused some eratic ignition behavior to say the least.  After sanding the globs of solder down to get clearence it worked very well.  

To get the most out of it I needed to run new primary wires directly from the pickup to the control box. The system is sensitive to "noise" and "drops" in the signal due to a weak circuit.  For vintage Brittish bikes you must (strongly recommended) change to 6volt/3ohm coils.   I did some quick research and it does not seem this coil swap is not necessary for Hondas, but you should do a deeper search to make sure.
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 07:21:41 am »
With the microdigital new ignitions they come with new micro coils. I have always swapped to Boyer micro coils which probably helps keep everything compatible. Never had the problem with solder - maybe your rotor isn't set right, you can get it upside down which might affect clearance?
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 05:22:52 pm »
Hey lordmoonpie, I had the Boyer issues on a Triumph T140. The tapered shaft for the rotor makes it hillbilly proof  :D.  The solder was about .150 inches thick before the rotor and some sandpaper worked it down.  After that she's been a one kick start and trouble free. 
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »
I'm surprised to hear so many good reports about the Boyer Bransden ignitions, they used to have a terrible name for unreliabilty, the (tongue in cheek) assumption was that they were using old Lucas designs, and most guys would chuck 'em for a Dyna S, so it's good to see that they've "lifted their game" in recent years. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
I'm surprised to hear so many good reports about the Boyer Bransden ignitions, they used to have a terrible name for unreliabilty, the (tongue in cheek) assumption was that they were using old Lucas designs, and most guys would chuck 'em for a Dyna S, so it's good to see that they've "lifted their game" in recent years. Cheers, Terry. ;D

AHHHAAAA!   ;D  Somebody used the words Lucas and design in the same post!!!  Now to jump over to the Rat.net forum and make fun of Honda parts  :D

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 04:28:07 am »
The only experience I have had with the Boyer was on an XS 650. On the XS the points assembly is on the cam and is replaced with a sensor and rod that goes through the cam(sensor on one side, threaded rod through the cam and locking nut on other side). Adjusting the timing was a PITA as the "point plate equilivant thing" didnt rotate for timing adjustment and the rod that held the spinning sensor had to be loosened and repositioned to adjust timing. I thought it was kind of a dumb arrangement that could have been designed better for easier timing adjustement.

Other than that, the Boyer has been on the bike for about 5-6 years and there has been no complaints with it. Reliable starting, runs great.
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow