Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3049460 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
What did you do to your bike today ?
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:25 pm »
I walked by mine today and thought, it's time to fill the tanks, run some stabilizer through them all, drain the carbs and put in a bit of oil to lube the cylinders.

What did you do on yours today?

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:11:04 pm »
I rode the snot out of mine, happy !
Fortunatly we dont have to park em here in Houston  ;D
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »
Sad, sad, sad....were still in 'prime' riding weather down here in the South, touched 70deg. today...seven day forecast not under 60, yeehaa.!!
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:16:00 pm »
I casually glanced at mine...between raking leaves for a couple of hours and the doing drywall in the basement there wasn't time for anything else.

We are having a heat wave here (calling for 15 degrees tomorrow and Monday) I think Mother Nature is just eff'ing with me since my wife is working tomorrow (I gotta watch the kiddies) and Monday my dad is coming down to help with the kitchenette in the basement!!!

By Tuesday I assume it will be cold since I may have the time to go for a ride...  :'(

Dennis

Offline djbinzo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:55 pm »
Drug the frame outside and scrubbed several decades worth of chain oil off of it.  Prepping for some welding, then paint. 

Tomorrow has grinding, welding, and priming on the agenda.

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »
Rode mine.  Then made some adjustments. Rode some more, made more adjustments.  Repeat.  Then popped a beer and watched Hot Dog.  Awesome!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:54:47 pm »
Rode the piss outa mine and stopped at my favorite dive bar in Oakdale,Ca.  ..........saw a V8 chopper which is made outa Oklahoma.The owner said they only make 10 per year...................said his was the only one in California. Said he used to have a Boss Hog big block!!!! This bike is f%$$#n' insane!!!!!
By the way......my sh!t gotta few nods also even though there were at least 6 other HD's there also. Hell....for awhile....I was the only one there that had spoked wheels and "NOBODY" had a kicker!!!! (Ilove that sh!t!!!!)
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »
Rode that sum#$%*. 100 miles and 2 Bloody Marys in the middle. Howard and I are trying to figure out how to record the upcoming dramatic mini series entitled "Full Throttle Saloon" featuring Seaweb, Griff and Newc. Filmed in Sturgis this year. Main features I'm sure have to be Midget Wrestling and Derek, Mud Runner Extraordinaire.    :o
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »
pulled the magna out for the insurance adjuster to verify all installed accessories for a possible buy out. Had it removed from insurance policy. Fired up the K4 and hope to ride it tomorrow. Finally got a title for the C100 CUB and plan to pick up some historical plates for it next week. Weather tomorrow to be in the mid 60's and sunny so sounds like a good day for a ride.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:48:45 pm by myhondas »
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:28:05 pm »
I rode mine around the city lakes today.  Sunny and 60 and more tomorrow.  I met a guy at Lake Calhoun who had what seemed to be a 73 750K with F0/1 exhaust, tank, seat and tail piece.  Sure improved the look of that bike. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:30:04 pm by srust58 »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:40 pm »
You should move back to the mainland seaweb, where folks still ride their bikes.... nice out today, hit almost 50 degrees.. ;D

Went for a short ride today, town & back.. Starbux, then picked up some beer at the "OK Corall"

..cant figure it of the bike is a Cafe racer or a TT racer... ???
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »
walked passed mine like 5times. just got to my shop 30 minits ago.

made some jokes about the idiot that wrecked his mustang cobra this morning infrontt of me.  plasti dipped my brake lever after the paint dried.  now im drooling over some jeep parts.  and back to prepping the frame on the 2nd 550 for paint.
guess who?

Offline rustrocket92

• Mad Fabricator
  • Hot Shot
  • Buster is in the Lab!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
It was 65 today so I rode for a couple hours.
1973 cb750k
1976 cb750k
1978 cb750f
1978 cb750k

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »
Rode to work, rode to the midwife's house for an appointment with my wife, then rode to Heffay's to hang out for the evening.  Nice and warm today. :)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:08 pm »
Pouring rain today so had a bit of time to hit the garage. I worked on the brake caliper and mount, finishing up on what I started in the summer. I'm not sure if I'll go with the polished caliper holder or not. I know it's not how the bike came but this will not be a "true" restoration. Can't afford it. I'll do the best I can do and improve on it as time goes by.
Got a new hard brake line from Honda for $10 ! but it was black so I fixed that up too.
Also installed the clutch in the motor but not sure if the pressure plate has meshed correctly with the rest of it. It looks right.
Cheers,
Cliff. 

Ryan 550k

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »
Nothing....(sigh).

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 11:45:07 pm »
It has rained all day - apart from replacing a flat tyre on my daughters car, driver her to & from work, drive my youngest son to & from work, do the weekly shopping, make lunch & now cooking dinner - oh - damn I did the dishes as well- hit me with that whip woman.......

Offline fletcha221

• CENDSE BIKEWORKS
  • Hot Shot
  • Cendse Bikeworks
    • OUR SHOP
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 05:24:24 am »
Finished the final wiring on my CB350f cafe. Shrink wrapped all of the exposed wires, mounted the rectifier and condenser under the tail section. With zip ties and flexible plastic tubing, all of the wires are hidden in one tube spanning the length of the bike. Granted, no one will ever see it...but it's really clean.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" -Oscar Wilde

1973 CB350f
1975 CB550k
1975 CB750 K5

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 05:31:57 am »
Soldered the yellow / red wire back onto the start button. Started to refinish the switch gear and if it warms up to 12 degrees C like it's supposed to, I'm gonna take the street triple out for one last ride.

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 12:37:03 pm »
Rode for awhile (72 degrees here) and got tired of hearing that 33 year old factory chain makin noise.  Now I'm sittin in the basement watching the Falcons kick a little a$$ and discovering that these dang thangs have endless (no master link) chains.  Do ya have to take the D#m swingarm off just to replace the chain?????

How bout a good boltcutter:) ??? ??? ??? :-\
76 550K bought brand new...mothballed for 30 years... and still running great
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline stickman

• Enthusiast
  • A vintage 750 is a terrible thing to waste....
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »
On my 76 CB750K project, I buffed out the engine covers and rear hub.  Wow what a difference.  Waiting on my tank and sidecovers to come back from the painters so it was a good time to do some buffing. 
Ed Jones, Lenoir, NC
1971 CB750, 1994 Kaw police bike KZ1000

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:24 pm »
Rode for awhile (72 degrees here) and got tired of hearing that 33 year old factory chain makin noise.  Now I'm sittin in the basement watching the Falcons kick a little a$$ and discovering that these dang thangs have endless (no master link) chains.  Do ya have to take the D#m swingarm off just to replace the chain?????

How bout a good boltcutter:) ??? ??? ??? :-\
Removing the swingarm is one way.

Most will "cut" the chain by grinding the heads off 2 pins and driving out a link. Most new chains are sold with a peen type master link which requires a special tool or skill to peen over the heads of the pins to make it "endless".

Don't lose hold of the chain after cutting. YOu will hook your new one to it and pull it thru the sprocket.

Many of us just buy a chain with a traditional clip type master link. I'm not afraid.

Back in my racing days we would safety wire the clip onto the masterlink for tech inspection. Never saw one I trusted was properly installed come off.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »
Sorted out a minor issue with the gauges.  ;D Since putting the custom face plates on the Tach, and Speedo, the Tach was fogging up the lens. I had lubed it when I had them apart so I was scratching my head on this one. After much debate, I took the tach apart again, and discovered the bulbs looked a little rough. The rubber boots were too dry rotted to pull them out without tearing them up so I left them in, then I completely dismantled the drive mechanism, cleaned, re lubed, and reassembled, only to get more fogging after a few miles. Took it home, disconnected the wires in the headlight bucket, and went for another spin. No more fogging! ;D Yeah, I know, now I don't have a light for my tach, but if I need to ride at night I'll be OK if I can't see my tach. Plus I found a great test road close to home that lives up to it's name; Devils Backbone.     
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »
Finished the final wiring on my CB350f cafe. Shrink wrapped all of the exposed wires, mounted the rectifier and condenser under the tail section. With zip ties and flexible plastic tubing, all of the wires are hidden in one tube spanning the length of the bike. Granted, no one will ever see it...but it's really clean.

lets see a picture of this wire tube!  if you have any that is...

lets see, what'd i do today, oh right NOTHING, and it'll be that way for awhile.  bikes on the jack where its been sitting for 8 months or more...  being a student again makes it pretty hard to afford ANYTHING, but maybe moving back in with the folks will help that issue out...  yet another beautiful day for riding here in TX, so i guess i'll go take my dad's VTX1300R for a spin, sweet ass bike there!!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline nobody

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »
I gave some stubborn bolts a PB bath. I also tried to remove the clutch, which apparently is impossible once the engine is off of the bike...

Now I'm pouting.
74 cb750k

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade. If life hands you tomatoes, make tomato soup. If life hands you a box of hand grenades... well, now... THAT'S a message!!