Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3149940 times)

jesus freek

Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10075 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:50 am »
Got mine out of the shop Friday...finally! But the weather here is chilly and windy so I haven't rode it. But the elec.is done everything works, and my new tires are mounted! I pulled off the exhaust the P/O fabricated and and put on my 4 into 2's. Just waiting on my horn to come arrive  and have the State Police come out and inspect and I ask Golden!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline tanman855

« Reply #10076 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
Clubmans and grips today!
1974 cb750 (cafe in progress)

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #10077 on: April 24, 2012, 01:37:16 pm »
sold it, now looking for a cb550k project.  . 
searching for a dr350se

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #10078 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »
Set the contacts. Fixed a dodgy plug. Thought about adjusting the cam chain but had to go shopping for oil and stuff instead. :-\
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #10079 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »
I licensed it!...and realized the PO  kept the bolts along with his plates :o

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10080 on: April 24, 2012, 05:13:30 pm »
Did a ton of work putting the 750 back together (still not done) and finally put a proper horn on the CA95.

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #10081 on: April 24, 2012, 06:41:23 pm »
got home from work, decided to take off the valve adjustment cover bolts - stripped the head on one of them by being careless.  filed it down to about 16mm and was able to remove it.  found replacement on eh-bay for $16.  nickel and dime, nickel and dime...  *bangs head on garage floor*

then i decided that i was in too much of a hurry to put it together so i grabbed some wiring harnesses and have been meticulously sanding all the contacts with 600grit, remonving each pin from the molex connectors (one at a time) and cleaning them.  with all the corrosion on them i don't know how in the heck i was even getting any juice through that thing.  maybe this will solve or help my charging problem!  yes, dielectric grease is going on all connectors.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10082 on: April 25, 2012, 12:26:34 am »
Made my weekly pilgrimage to Honda for a few bits and pieces. I was able to complete the fender install with the new bolts, rubber bushings and collars. Tightened down the front brake hoses. Had my neighbor help lift the rear and got it up on the center stand then tightened that and installed the side stand but gotta figure an easy way to install the spring. Put my new orange seat together from NOS and new parts. I unfortunately was not able to find a pair of matching orange trim (I have 2 of the same side) so I installed a black set. Installed the shifter cover too. Got a few other things together too.

I have a choice to make now depending in my mood. Orange or Blue. What color do I feel like riding each day?

Did another online order last night. About 40 different part numbers. The guy at the Honda shop said I can't order any more genuine Honda parts unless I take 10 each of what they do not stock since he has to order by 10's. Don't know if he's BS'ing but the way I figure it he needs to stock that #$%* anyway so I'm helping  ;D  They want me to just take the generic odds and ends which I will NOT do for this project. Told him that's OK as I'm almost done ordering anyway. Guess I'll be paying ServiceHonda.com shipping charges again to get a 30% discount off MSRP and not do any local business. Not sure if I'll have enough to do until next week's order shows up. 

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline onagd

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10083 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:51 am »
Photographed all the newly painted black bits of the 400F. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph the deconstruction prior the dismantling the bike and also before I found this site. It has been a long slow process but will be worth it in the end.
1973 CB350F
1975 CB400F
1998 GL1500

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10084 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:20 am »
Jerry, what black paint did you use on the engine mate.?
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10085 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:57 am »
I think Jerry's cases were powdercoated Mick? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10086 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:08 am »
I rode a little over 250km with GZ
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10087 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:20 am »
I think Jerry's cases were powdercoated Mick? Cheers, Terry. ;D

I really like that black finish, its exactly what i want.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10088 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:00 am »
Good lord Jerry that bike is amazingly clean. I can't wait to see her done.

Offline worlddrum13

« Reply #10089 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40:35 am »
it was a chilly day in NH yesterday but i got her registered, oil changed, and cleaned up for a quick brisk ride. im going to be tearing her down soon so ill get a little riding in in the meantime.
75 750 k6

Offline Proto

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #10090 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:25 am »
Strapped the fly rod on and rode 25 miles to my favorite trout pond.  Was soon catching fish!  Nice motorcycle ride, the fishing was just icing on the cake!
1976 Honda CB-750F1
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10091 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:58 am »
Did you say there was still ice on the lake?  :)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #10092 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:16 am »
Strapped the fly rod on and rode 25 miles to my favorite trout pond.  Was soon catching fish!  Nice motorcycle ride, the fishing was just icing on the cake!

awesome!  i recently bought a 4-piece 6wt JUST to have something i can take on my bike with me!  still looking for the luggage rack so i can strap a cooler on the back. ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10093 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:10 am »

Black paint? I wish it was that cheap! That'd be about $20 - $30 for 2 or 3 cans of rattle. I paid a reputable powder coater over $400 to detail coat the entire engine except for the JMR serious $$$ head. Couldn't take a chance of heating that up after Mike had put it together. Notice the alternator cover and shifter cover silver detail. It has a black base coat and a satin clear coat over everything. Didn't want it too shiny so it would contrast with the black/clear gloss coated frame. I polished all the allen head screws too. My first flirt with stainless. Damn, it polished nicely!

Thanks brandEn. I've always wanted to do her the right way one time after all the years of abuse since buying her new. I guesstimate it will be 90%+ new/NOS when I'm done. Can't wait to roll over mile 1 on the NOS speedo  :) My ass will be real tight when I hit the starter button that first time! For what I've put into it I coulda bought that nice BMW road bike I should have in the garage. Sigh, maybe next year.....   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:07:13 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10094 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:59 pm »
Back to the garage. Today I decided that in order to make progress while waiting on my latest parts orders I'd get the grab rail cleaned up and installed. This is one piece I really wanted to find NOS but there just isn't one. I have gathered 3 with the intent of selecting the best. May have to rechrome. Musta worked on that sum#$%* for over 2 hours with kerosene, wire brushes, steel wool, Dremel, etc. It came out better than hoped for. I installed it then added my NOS turn signals and the license plate bracket with all new hardware. Gotta do something with the tail light tomorrow too and get the plate mounted.

Also installed the NOS shifter and the new front sprocket. While down there I realized that I still have a few old bullet connectors so I ordered new connectors in order to replace any existing leftovers like from the alternator and the wires from the tail light. I spied the lonely stainless braided oil lines on the bench and decided to finally take a peek at how it will look. Not a great shot. Looks like the easiest way to install them will be to loosen and lift up the oil tank first.

That was too easy and I couldn't quit after seeing the rear turn signal wires just hanging there so I got out the NOS wire harness and started playing with it.

A lot of stuff to think about before during and after working on something. I'll play with the harness more tomorrow and clean the Kerker. Maybe install the oil filter. Gotta put the frame member on so I can tie down the harness then start connecting some wires. Get the electrical panel installed too hopefully.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:32:15 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10095 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:27 am »

Black paint? I wish it was that cheap! That'd be about $20 - $30 for 2 or 3 cans of rattle. I paid a reputable powder coater over $400 to detail coat the entire engine except for the JMR serious $$$ head. Couldn't take a chance of heating that up after Mike had put it together. Notice the alternator cover and shifter cover silver detail. It has a black base coat and a satin clear coat over everything. Didn't want it too shiny so it would contrast with the black/clear gloss coated frame. I polished all the allen head screws too. My first flirt with stainless. Damn, it polished nicely!

Thanks brandEn. I've always wanted to do her the right way one time after all the years of abuse since buying her new. I guesstimate it will be 90%+ new/NOS when I'm done. Can't wait to roll over mile 1 on the NOS speedo  :) My ass will be real tight when I hit the starter button that first time! For what I've put into it I coulda bought that nice BMW road bike I should have in the garage. Sigh, maybe next year.....   

Thanks Jerry.... ;)  It looks great..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #10096 on: April 26, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »
Figured out why my bike sounds like an open header thumper and a throaty i4. One of the exhaust collars came off (?!?!?), and my $7 tailpipe fell off. How in the world do both nuts come off a single pipe? What sucks is that now I need two collars. That means ANOTHER week of not riding. I was planning on reverting to stock airbox and exhaust with baffle. Well, I guess that's what I get for buying the first bike I saw ... This thing has been nothing but trouble and headaches since I got it. I'm in too deep to sell it, and I want it to be done too much to give up.

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #10097 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »
i ordered some new forks, throttle, tach speedo and clutch cable some fork seals a new clutch, umm, umm, oh yeah and a set of super bike bars from cycle x... now do i want to drop 150 on the sunflake orange or just go with black
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #10098 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:25 pm »
Not a fan of the sunflake orange, or black. I'd definitely go with the fastest color.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=acilong47h3rqo2e50isngmf66&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #10099 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:13 am »
mine after marked coils vas not  happy for vater/fog...so faund this old from my 400 four..but the kabels  need to be thanged..just need to get it klosed in i plastic 2 komponent glue
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:58:29 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords