Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3157736 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #18200 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:45 pm »
Swapped out my crusty original spark plug caps for some NGK 5KΩ . Not sure why I didn't do this earlier. Probably because I didn't know any better.

Part #'s if you're curious:
VD05F & XD05F

On a side note, started designing a custom t-shirt for myself. F to match my bike.

Where did you get the plugs speed? I need them for my 550F build but also for my 750. Not sure those would work on the 750.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline speedwolf

• Mull Fember
  • You are the company you keep.
« Reply #18201 on: July 31, 2014, 09:21:36 pm »
Swapped out my crusty original spark plug caps for some NGK 5KΩ . Not sure why I didn't do this earlier. Probably because I didn't know any better.

Part #'s if you're curious:
VD05F & XD05F

Where did you get the plugs speed? I need them for my 550F build but also for my 750. Not sure those would work on the 750.

Found the plug caps on Amazon. Can't go wrong with two-day free shipping with Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R952BQ/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KO7BQQ/

I'm guessing they would work for the 550, not sure about the 750. I just matched the angles of the old plug caps and researched what ohm rating I needed.

'72 Honda CB500 K1

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #18202 on: July 31, 2014, 09:24:55 pm »
Are you wanting plugs or plug caps mate? Either are usually all over eBay, but I think CB750Supply and Z1 sell 'em too. You need 2 straight ones, and 2 45 degree ones for a 750. Cheers, Terry. 'D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18203 on: August 01, 2014, 05:02:42 am »
Pics of the JBWeld repair to the alternator cover. Also the magical panhead bolt that was long enough to get the remaining unstripped threads!

The nice thing about this repair/damage is that you have to be down on its level to see it.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline EricHa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18204 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:57 am »
Nice patch job. Looks fine and money saved.  :)
1975 Honda CB550K1
1976 Honda CB750K6
1977 Kawasaki KZ900A5

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #18205 on: August 01, 2014, 07:14:01 am »
Looks good! I'm now wondering if I should go with engine guards, just in case something bad happens..

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18206 on: August 01, 2014, 07:37:14 am »
Looks good! I'm now wondering if I should go with engine guards, just in case something bad happens..

Mine is a cheap (and less durable) aftermarket cover. I will hopefully be getting an OEM in the winter. I also plan to NOT drop my bike anymore. ;D   ...but after spending all that $$$ on an OEM cover, maybe guards are in order...

Nice patch job. Looks fine and money saved.  :)

Thanks. A dremel and high grit foam sanding blocks go a long way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:42:46 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #18207 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:44 am »
Personal experience: case guards allowed me to drive away from a skid over/tip over more than once.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18208 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:49 am »
I also finally got around to putting in the solid state Reg/Rec. WOW what a difference.

So far the bike revs higher and pulls harder, according to the ButtDyno, and kick starts WAYYY easier. I haven't changed a single thing, otherwise. Would a bad original reg or rect cause a weak spark, or even poor electrical overall? Awhile back before the swap I was testing voltage to my horn and I was only getting around 11V with the bike not running. Even my headlight seems brighter...

We'll see if this has any effect on my mileage, too. If weak spark and poor detonation was my issue, this may solve it!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:39:14 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18209 on: August 01, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
Impressive! Can you do a 750 engine too? If enough people sign up, maybe you can sell them and partially donate to the forum ;)

Thanks! I can probably do a 750 design as well. I just need some high-res scans from an old shop manual. Engine and side cover logo. Looking for a better version for the 500, as well.  ;)

The digital version of the shop manual I have has watermarking that I had to magnify/erase. And it was pretty low-res to start. You can tell how some of the details get lost. (Piston Rings, Oil screen, Honda text, etc...) At this point it might not translate well blown up.

I can see what I can do as far as shirts. I've only ever made batches of two for personal use; I've never hosted on a site for sale.

PS. If this gets serious, what part of the forums would I create an official thread? I don't want to hijack or break the rules.
The correct forum would be under the classifieds section. I have brand new tank and side cover emblems that I can take some high res pix for you if you like (750 K2).

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18210 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:02 pm »
I also finally got around to putting in the solid state Reg/Rec. WOW what a difference.

So far the bike revs higher and pulls harder, according to the ButtDyno, and kick starts WAYYY easier. I haven't changed a single thing, otherwise. Would a bad original reg or rect cause a weak spark, or even poor electrical overall? Awhile back before the swap I was testing voltage to my horn and I was only getting around 11V with the bike not running. Even my headlight seems brighter...

We'll see if this has any effect on my mileage, too. If weak spark and poor detonation was my issue, this may solve it!

Where'd you buy that from mate? I need to fix the recharging system on my 750, I charged the battery before a half hour ride last Friday and it was flat enough that it wouldn't crank the engine by the time I got home. I think it's a bad stator, but I'd like to upgrade the whole system for trouble free summer riding. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Paul Lowe

• Enthusiast
  • If you like then it is good...
« Reply #18211 on: August 01, 2014, 11:56:07 pm »
Bottom end done, new alternator cover $$$$$ a polish if the allow other bits and some hi temp silver. Getting there!
My Honda sickness deepens

CB350F 1972
CB360G 1974
CB750 K1 1971
CT90 K0 1968
C102 1963
C50 1968
C70 1972
C90 1974
CL90 1968

1/2HP electric bike home made...

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18212 on: August 02, 2014, 06:30:10 am »

Where'd you buy that from mate? I need to fix the recharging system on my 750, I charged the battery before a half hour ride last Friday and it was flat enough that it wouldn't crank the engine by the time I got home. I think it's a bad stator, but I'd like to upgrade the whole system for trouble free summer riding. Cheers, Terry. ;D

vintagecb750.com http://www.vintagecb750.com/search/?q=regulator

It is the direct plug-in one too! No wires to move around or mess about with. The three wires are the black, white and green for the regulator, and the plug is for the rectifier connection. Plugs directly into the harness.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Ravie

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • Soul to Soul
« Reply #18213 on: August 02, 2014, 06:43:33 am »
Painted and slightly baked the frame.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

1975 CB750K5 Rebuild in progress.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=139072.0

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18214 on: August 02, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »

It is the direct plug-in one too! No wires to move around or mess about with. The three wires are the black, white and green for the regulator, and the plug is for the rectifier connection. Plugs directly into the harness.

Thanks mate, I'll order one today. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Edit: Well I went to the Vintage CB750 site and almost ordered one until I saw that they wanted $73 US to ship it! So I cancelled my order and did the eBay thing, and found what looks to be the same one cheaper, ($77.89) and only $16.75 for shipping to Oz, so Vintage CB750 can suck my hairy balls! Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ricks-Electric-Rectifier-Regulator-Honda-CB550F-Sport-CB750A-ATmatic-CB750K-/301262696455?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item4624a7f007
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:51:34 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #18215 on: August 02, 2014, 04:40:44 pm »
Finally got my gl1100 back to life today, I still have a LOT more to do before it's roadworthy but the sucker fired right up, ran on all 4 cyls, good throttle response and idled smooth. Pretty impressive for an engine that was locked up 3 months ago.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #18216 on: August 02, 2014, 04:40:55 pm »
Changed spark plugs on the PC(scooter on steroids, golf cart).  Installed K&N air filter-one only has to take off half the plastics on the bike  to accomplish that feat.   Bought a new driving wedge for the trunk bag,  replaced covers for the putters, bought an obnoxiously loud pair of checked riding leathers, also acquired a plaid tam-o-shanter to wear on top of  my helmet, and an Irish green and white wool cardigan to wear over my leather jacket.  All in all, a very good day....Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18217 on: August 02, 2014, 04:53:44 pm »
Finally got my gl1100 back to life today, I still have a LOT more to do before it's roadworthy but the sucker fired right up, ran on all 4 cyls, good throttle response and idled smooth. Pretty impressive for an engine that was locked up 3 months ago.

Excellent work Scott, there's nothing more enjoyable between your legs than a big 'Wang! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18218 on: August 02, 2014, 04:55:43 pm »
Changed spark plugs on the PC(scooter on steroids, golf cart).  Installed K&N air filter-one only has to take off half the plastics on the bike  to accomplish that feat.   Bought a new driving wedge for the trunk bag,  replaced covers for the putters, bought an obnoxiously loud pair of checked riding leathers, also acquired a plaid tam-o-shanter to wear on top of  my helmet, and an Irish green and white wool cardigan to wear over my leather jacket.  All in all, a very good day....Larry

Ha ha, I've got a mental pic of a smaller version of Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" Larry, great post! ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #18219 on: August 02, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »

Ha ha, I've got a mental pic of a smaller version of Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" Larry, great post! ;D

Thanks Terry,  I enjoy stupid comedy....LARRY

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18220 on: August 02, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »
Took a crack at buffing, you'll have to pardon the abysmal pic, I did my best to avoid the chrome like finish but it didn't happen.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18221 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:46 am »

Thanks mate, I'll order one today. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Edit: Well I went to the Vintage CB750 site and almost ordered one until I saw that they wanted $73 US to ship it! So I cancelled my order and did the eBay thing, and found what looks to be the same one cheaper, ($77.89) and only $16.75 for shipping to Oz, so Vintage CB750 can suck my hairy balls! Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ricks-Electric-Rectifier-Regulator-Honda-CB550F-Sport-CB750A-ATmatic-CB750K-/301262696455?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item4624a7f007

your own damn fault for living so far from Canada! ;D :P

for those not in he know... vintagecb750 is based in Canada and cb750supply is based in USA and they both carry the same products.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18222 on: August 03, 2014, 04:42:45 am »
Ha ha, anyways, thanks for the tip mate, I'm looking forwards to installing the new reg/rec, although I think my stator might be the real culprit. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline rickman750

« Reply #18223 on: August 03, 2014, 05:00:06 am »
After a week of brake fluid covered hands, I finally got the brakes bled! In the end I had to remove the brake circuit and bolt it to my workbench. Then one joint at a time, bleed and the bolt up, then move to the next joint. I even pumped the pistons out by about 5 to 10mm.
Eventually I bolted the master cylinder on, then slowly snugged up the callipers, and forced the fluid (and air) back up and into the resevoir.
Wooo Hooo! Nice firm lever, new pads, and anti-rattle grease. Happy man.

Still waiting for my seat and rear spokes from David Silver.

Markcb750

« Reply #18224 on: August 03, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »
After a week of brake fluid covered hands, I finally got the brakes bled! In the end I had to remove the brake circuit and bolt it to my workbench. Then one joint at a time, bleed and the bolt up, then move to the next joint. I even pumped the pistons out by about 5 to 10mm.
Eventually I bolted the master cylinder on, then slowly snugged up the callipers, and forced the fluid (and air) back up and into the resevoir.
Wooo Hooo! Nice firm lever, new pads, and anti-rattle grease. Happy man.

Still waiting for my seat and rear spokes from David Silver.

Sounds like plugged bleed hole in master cylinder...just saying.