Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162420 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20550 on: September 15, 2015, 11:06:29 pm »
Whole buncha little #$%* over the last week. Gotta actually work next 4 days. Front end is basically done except for a headlight bolt. Getting all the engine peripherals done. Starting a little electrical. Couple more days and mostly all I'll have to do is the swing arm, etc when it arrives and gets coated.

Oh yeah, gotta get the Webers mounted  ;-) That's going to be a challenging proposition when I hit the start button then attempt to shake them out. I'll run out of time before then though as I'll be gone for a month beginning the 29th.

One thing I did today was sacrifice a NOS rear 75-79 GL master cylinder to overhaul mine. I tried to extract the fitting for the brake line and the extractor broke. That sum#$%* was NOT intended to be removed by unscrewing! It uses the same fitting as our front brakes. So I used the nylon reservoir, the piston etc, the cap, and the plug on the end. Looks MUCH better except for the faded body. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20551 on: September 16, 2015, 12:29:16 am »
  CRAP looked what followed me home after a yard sale for 3 Bennie's with title from the 'old' family. -- Help Terry---------- You still got yours ??

... the CX500C is a fine motorcycle, once you ditch the little back wheel, add Murray Feldman's carbs, dump the exhaust and put some decent tires on it...

I don't see Eric putting $2000 into this bike he paid $300 for and then would be worth $1200.

I don't either Steve, I was lucky, I bought mine for $700 in similar condition to Eric's, spent maybe $1500 to do all the above mentioned mods, then put it on eBay, hoping to get $2200 to pay for the BMW I bought on a whim. It turns out that they have a huge fan base here, and mine sold for $3750, from memory? That was when the Aussie dollar was on par with the greenback.  I did buy a 650 engine for it as well, but didn't use it, and sold it for a profit. The 650 engine in a CX500C would have been a joy to ride. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20552 on: September 16, 2015, 03:56:13 am »
  CRAP looked what followed me home after a yard sale for 3 Bennie's with title from the 'old' family. -- Help Terry---------- You still got yours ??

... the CX500C is a fine motorcycle, once you ditch the little back wheel, add Murray Feldman's carbs, dump the exhaust and put some decent tires on it...

I don't see Eric putting $2000 into this bike he paid $300 for and then would be worth $1200.

I don't either Steve, I was lucky, I bought mine for $700 in similar condition to Eric's, spent maybe $1500 to do all the above mentioned mods, then put it on eBay, hoping to get $2200 to pay for the BMW I bought on a whim. It turns out that they have a huge fan base here, and mine sold for $3750, from memory? That was when the Aussie dollar was on par with the greenback.  I did buy a 650 engine for it as well, but didn't use it, and sold it for a profit. The 650 engine in a CX500C would have been a joy to ride. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Wait ...

Terry, you just used the words 'joy' and 'CX500' in the same sentence.

You know our countries laws regarding this.

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #20553 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:37 am »
wheels for the S90

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20554 on: September 16, 2015, 04:39:02 pm »
Pulled this beauty out of the Batcave today and dragged it home.

The bad: it's filthy and been sitting for the last 8 years or so. The seat is horrible!

The good: mostly complete [where'd I put the tank?!] not stuck and look, 341's!

The good part 2:  The 341's appear to be clean up good!! After a 30 second  wipedown...

Sad to say, this bike will be made roadworthy and need to go [losing storage space] so this bike is not 341 worthy.

May consider selling, check my garage sale thread....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #20555 on: September 16, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »
Got a friendly "Hey!/Didn't see you/Moving forward and you're not" bump on a busy street today.  No damage to O.B., he bumped my tire with his fender (knocked his license plate off heh heh), but, when we pulled over to check realized my rear tire needs replacing - not only because of the significant wear but there's a damned nail sticking in it and I have no idea how long it's been there.  So, making plans for new tires and tubes.  Oh, happy day.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #20556 on: September 17, 2015, 11:17:35 am »
Today's work. First time running after 33 years. It's only running on 1 and 4 though, and I don't know where all that smoke is coming from. Now just to figure out why two and three aren't firing.
It' a video, click on it to see it on photobucket.

I messed with it a bit, ran it again, and this time it was three and four that fired up. It has to be carb related. Guess I need to find a good carb rebuilder.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:23:03 pm by MJL »
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline Aporozco

« Reply #20557 on: September 17, 2015, 08:46:25 pm »
Cut the frame up, welded in some new seat mounts and bolted a new custom made seat. Also stripped the paint on the tank and steel wool'd it. Riding dirty now!

Offline fitzmotor

« Reply #20558 on: September 18, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »
I painted the tank and side covers, tried to match Bacchus Olive green....failed, so I stripped it and started over, today it got Honda Dyno Blue.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20559 on: September 19, 2015, 08:46:27 am »
Un-screwed some PO wiring...

Here we see the wiring from the PO, with the main ground wire to the front half of the bike broken off. See previous post. Repair is below it.

PO had the frame powder coated before their rebuild. How nice. Too bad they didn't do any proper wiring... So I sanded back the PC and ran this wire up to where the others were attached. Also applied some dielectric grease to protect the bare metal.

Couple snips here... a few crimps there...

The three on the right are for the tail lights, regulator, and rectifier.

Applied a little heat for some shrinkage... (very high quality automotive heat shrink with glue)

TA DA! Factory-correct harness ground! Hooray!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:49:24 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #20560 on: September 19, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
Replaced my old and tired steering damper. Finally correct frame bracket to hold the damper inline with fork mount.
Before exhaust clamp that was not that good.
I have to correct the horn relay this winter. Hide it under tank and use black wires where visible. Maybe use other loud horn.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline maduncle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20561 on: September 20, 2015, 12:24:44 am »

Rode this thing around all weekend to get used to it before I ride it next Sunday in the Melbourne Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.

It might look pretty, and the Z1A engine does seem to fit - but the frame rails they needed to remove to get that engine in means that the frame tends to twist when you give it a bit of stick.

And it don't feel that great in the corners either.

Still - bikes beggars can't be choosers so I will ride it with care and then hand it back to its owner.

Fortunately for me I got myself a new project on the weekend  - have a look out for a new Maduncle build thread.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20562 on: September 20, 2015, 01:21:37 am »
That looks great Cliff, plenty of guys here will spend enormous money trying to get a Sohc 750 engine to make the power a stock  Z1 engine makes reliably, pity about the dodgy frame mods, but anything can be fixed. Not sure about the white walls though...... Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MD

• Expert
  • Living in the North Woods overlooking The Lake.
    • MN North Woods
« Reply #20563 on: September 20, 2015, 06:59:51 pm »
Had a couple of annoying problems on a 75 cb550f that needed addressing. 

The neutral light would not light up unless I realy played with the ignition key.  Turning it on and off several times while wigling the switch would eventually get it working.  I pulled molex plug from the base of the switch; cleaned the spades with brake cleaner; filled the female end with dielectric grease wiping away the exess; and plugging back into the switch.

The front break was not releasing.  I bleed the brakes which did not help but needed to be done because of a little air left over from rebuilding the master cylinder.  The break fluid came out a good normal color.   I then loosened the caliper about 3/8 " and pumped the break.  The first time I did this rust fell on the rotor.  I tightened the caliper pushing the piston back in.  I did this another two times.  This caliper now is releasing properly.

The above problems were the result of the bike sitting for 20+ years.  The next problem that I started working on was relining the gas tank.  After removing the locking cover and the peacock,  I discovered the tank has major rust holes in the bottom of the tank.  I am now in the market for a new tank.  I have done the e-bay search and posted on the classified parts wanted.  Would a 750 tank fit on this bike?  Does anyone make a replacement tank for the 4 bikes?  I can find several for twins listed.

-MD
1975 CB550F Super Sport;  Lake Superior Circle 1000, 45-90 Saddle 1000, All in Yooper 1000 and SS 2000 in 48 hrs:  1985 GL1200A, MN in State SS1K

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20564 on: September 21, 2015, 06:12:27 pm »
Crap another one followed me home for pennies from a garage sale. 11,000 miles but needs my love but should be a low dollar fix. Guy already put on new tires, new battery just baked on a frame off cause he got a new jeep project. Been looking for a big road legal thumper with a title ! 1986 XL600R-
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:15:21 pm by ekpent »

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20565 on: September 21, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »
Eric do you plan to ride it? Minus the engine missing it looks really clean.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20566 on: September 21, 2015, 06:35:20 pm »
Eric do you plan to ride it? Minus the engine missing it looks really clean.
Heck yes Nick. Here in Michigan this will be a fun back road bomber and can run some back roads on the dirt in the state areas also. He bought the gasket kit thinking he was going to do ground up resto but I will just clean and put back together for now.Been kinda looking for a big thumper enduro but they seem to be pricey.Since this has a title hoping to eventually roll on the cheap. Supposedly 40+ hp and 1/4 in the 14's. Anybody else got one or take it to the scraper ??

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20567 on: September 21, 2015, 07:13:03 pm »
Poured this into the tank for the CB100 tonight, and hope it will be ok till tomorrow after work.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #20568 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:39 pm »
Poured this into the tank for the CB100 tonight, and hope it will be ok till tomorrow after work.

how is the little bike?  Last I remember you were having some problems..>Larry

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20569 on: September 21, 2015, 07:43:22 pm »

Rode this thing around all weekend to get used to it before I ride it next Sunday in the Melbourne Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.

It might look pretty, and the Z1A engine does seem to fit - but the frame rails they needed to remove to get that engine in means that the frame tends to twist when you give it a bit of stick.

Still - bikes beggars can't be choosers so I will ride it with care and then hand it back to its owner.

Fortunately for me I got myself a new project on the weekend  - have a look out for a new Maduncle build thread.

What color blue is that do you know? I really like it!

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20570 on: September 22, 2015, 12:24:00 am »

how is the little bike?  Last I remember you were having some problems..>Larry

yep........haven't tore into it yet..........I have really gotten lazy on working on all my projects.

I have to put another kicker shaft in, and its just a matter of doing it.

So, right now, it's sitting in the shed covered up.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20571 on: September 22, 2015, 02:03:31 am »
Crap another one followed me home for pennies from a garage sale. 11,000 miles but needs my love but should be a low dollar fix. Guy already put on new tires, new battery just baked on a frame off cause he got a new jeep project. Been looking for a big road legal thumper with a title ! 1986 XL600R-

Nice pick up Eric, that'll test your kick starting skills! I love "Big Red", my 1983 XR500R, it was very competition oriented, and I believe that Honda "softened" the XR600 a little to make it a bit more user friendly, but with 46 BHP (close to 40 at the back wheel) it'll keep up with modern bikes. Under 300 pounds and a genuine top speed of 100 MPH, you won't feel left out, and you'll scare a lot of road bikes with some decent rubber, I've got Pirelli Scorpions on mine, and they stick very well. Enjoy! ;D

Offline maduncle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20572 on: September 22, 2015, 03:13:31 am »

What color blue is that do you know? I really like it!

It is actually the stock Honda blue green for the K0, it's just the lighting in the photo that makes it look different.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #20573 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:05 pm »
Decided to finally sync the carbs on the CJ today.

Oh, wait, I need 6mm adapters for the vacuum taps.

Oh well it's taken 4 years to finish the bike what's another few days....

I guess I'll need the 6mm adapters for the XS650 anyway, if I ever get around to it.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #20574 on: September 22, 2015, 02:18:45 pm »
Decided to finally sync the carbs on the CJ today.

Oh, wait, I need 6mm adapters for the vacuum taps.

Oh well it's taken 4 years to finish the bike what's another few days....

I guess I'll need the 6mm adapters for the XS650 anyway, if I ever get around to it.

always like the CJ, only lasted a couple years tho...Larry