Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3161913 times)

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=b7bj9oqlsgd8qpu8bid8963k75&/topic,60973.0.html
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20975 on: January 30, 2016, 06:03:09 am »
like your tralier pin up
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20976 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:57 am »
C'mon Terry, show us the man purse you attached that holds your riding Lycra!  ;D ;D ;D

Hmmmnnn, no idea in what context that was meant Cal, so I'll just quote Nancy Raygun, "Just say no to drugs".....  :o
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20977 on: January 30, 2016, 11:07:41 am »
Cal, you may have hit the nail on the head!!

Talkin about F's!! didn't know Beemer made a Fugly too  ;)  paybacks buddy.  ;D I know you at least have a good bike in that Beemer. How's it do off road for you?

You got the jump on me as I only figured out (hopefully) where part of the electrical issues is/are. I dropped a couple more + Benjamins and ordered a new Honda right control so the solenoid and headlight will now get power and a new VintageCB750 harness considering I got a 1V drop at the front junction box plus a carb passage cleaning tool that I know you're going to enjoy. Free shipping paid for that  ;) plus I didn't already have one.

Gave up on my quest to use a 73 - 75 K control. Really wanted to wire in that headlight shut off switch. Tired of waiting. Can't get a confirmation that it has a long enough harness for a F. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20978 on: January 30, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »
G'Day Jerry, I'm glad you understood Cal's jibe, it must have been too subtle for my low IQ............

You're right, the "beauty" in the big GS BM's is how they work, not how they look. This one has been treated to a full "Staintune" (stainless) exhaust system, re-mapped computer and K&N filter, then was dyno-tuned for even more low to mid-range power, and it's a weapon on fast windy roads, it really must piss off the folks who've bought "sports tourers" when it rounds them up in their own territory.

I replaced the shocks at both ends with new Aussie Ikon's, they weren't cheap and I had a couple of issues installing them, but geez, what a difference, the bike doesn't "float" like it did before, with the adjustable damping set on the second position, it's very "planted" and reminds me of my old Ducati 900SS' "running on rails" cornering.

They were pretty expensive when new, but you can pick one up for less than the price of a nice CB750 nowadays, so there's no reason for anyone not to have one, and most have been looked after by their previous owners. They're excellent on dirt roads, but they're not enduro bikes, so their weight limits how far you take 'em into the bush. For me, it's great fun exploring roads that are off limits to most big road bikes. That's where I'll be going today, if the weather holds off.

I used a VintageCB750 wiring harness on Mike's K2, they didn't have a K2 harness in stock then, so I bought a later one with the square ignition plug, but it's fine, and made the task of rewiring the bike that much simpler. Mike bought new handlebar switches and of course all the new lights and blinkers came with new wires, so the only old wires used were from the alternator to the regulator/rectifier.

I'm hoping they'll be OK, I haven't finished the wiring yet, so I haven't checked to see if it's recharging the battery. I bought a cheap gel battery for it on eBay, and I must say I'm impressed, I don't think I can go back to "old school" batteries now, my Triumph Rocket III's battery is 9 years old in July, and still going strong! I bought the VintageCB750 wiring connectors and crimping tool too, and once you get the hang of the tool, it makes excellent connectors, way better than pissing around with solder or those horrible auto parts store crimp connectors.

Depending on how much you're worried about originality, I'd suggest using the K series wiring harness, handlebar switches etc, "length" won't be an issue, and you can hide your wiring inside your headlight, thus giving you the ability to throw away the stupid electrics box on the frame's downtubes, and install an oil cooler to keep that big 1000cc lump from overheating, if it gets hot enough in Colorado Springs?

Don't get too excited about that "Carb passage cleaner" mate, they're actually Oxy welder tip cleaners and only good for main jet and possibly slow jet cleaning, they don't have one small enough to undo the damage you did with your bead blaster. Get onto Hondaman and ask him if he has a fix, maybe ultrasonic cleaning might shake all those glass beads loose? Anyway, I better get some breakfast then get out on the road! Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20979 on: January 30, 2016, 11:11:26 pm »
 ;)  It's OK, we still love like you. Gotta be careful with Cal hanging around.

This one's not so much about originality as functionality. I do not wish to re-engineer the whole damn thing and replace everything that has a wire. I used my Vintage Connector kit on anything I couldn't find new on F #1. That plus all new wiring gave me the Holy Grail of VOLTAGE.  :) That was actually the first thing I checked when I fired it. 14.5V!! I'd love to use the oil cooler but it's not worth rewiring the whole damn thing. $$. Too late, it's on the way.

I've seen 116 on a bank thermometer on the Great Plains as well as -25 here in Colorado. It's blizzard time over the next few days too. 

Float that Beemer over here. There's MUCH adventure riding awaiting in the Colorado mountains.   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #20980 on: January 30, 2016, 11:43:41 pm »
I put my old school XL1200 back together..

Rode my KR-1 down to Gomez an Guzman for a Pulled Pork Burrito.

Sorted some issues with the Dyna while I wait for the tin's back from the paint shop.

Started Assembling the RMX250 engine....

Thought briefly about working on the ZXR400 Race bike....

Got the Crank and rods out for the C50 engine assembly.....

https://www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia/

And now I'm grilling steaks....
Stranger in a strange land

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20981 on: January 30, 2016, 11:58:39 pm »

Sorted some issues with the Dyna while I wait for the tin's back from the paint shop.

and told Dave500 that I said hi next time you see him
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #20982 on: January 31, 2016, 12:01:07 am »
I finished installing the Luimoto Gold Gel kit for my custom seat  :) Needs some clean up, then gotta get a cover made for it.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20983 on: January 31, 2016, 12:43:38 am »
;)  It's OK, we still love like you. Gotta be careful with Cal hanging around.

This one's not so much about originality as functionality. I do not wish to re-engineer the whole damn thing and replace everything that has a wire. I used my Vintage Connector kit on anything I couldn't find new on F #1. That plus all new wiring gave me the Holy Grail of VOLTAGE.  :) That was actually the first thing I checked when I fired it. 14.5V!! I'd love to use the oil cooler but it's not worth rewiring the whole damn thing. $$. Too late, it's on the way.

I've seen 116 on a bank thermometer on the Great Plains as well as -25 here in Colorado. It's blizzard time over the next few days too. 

Float that Beemer over here. There's MUCH adventure riding awaiting in the Colorado mountains.   

Ha ha, I would love to bring the big black beast over to your side of the pond Jerry, one day I'll definitely take a tour of the US on two wheels, but I don't know whether it'll be on a boxer or a V twin.........

Today I bravely braved the storms we're having here and did a little over 200 miles on the BM. I put my wet weather jacket on, but left the wet weather pants in the top box, and headed off to Cooma, up in the hills, for lunch. It's only 80 miles or so from here, but I made a few detours up some dirt roads I'd spotted from the Monaro Highway, and had a ball blasting on the dirt.

I came across this old deserted farmhouse, I'm guessing that it's as much as a couple of hundred years old, from the side you can see the original building, then the bigger house built on to it at a later date. Can you see the face in the window? I wasn't game to go inside, 1. because I was trespassing, and 2. I've watched too many American paranormal shows and the last thing I wanted to do is bring some freeloading ghost home with me............. I love the letter box, if I had the time (or the balls) I would have souvenired it!

After a great Chinese meal for lunch, washed down with a couple of Corona's, I tackled the Snowy Mountains Highway. This is now my favourite fast road, "Highway" is an exaggeration I reckon, the straightest section that I encountered today wouldn't have been a mile long. That's right, tons of fast sweepers and tighter bends to test your cornering skills, and not a cop in sight! Don't tell Cal, he doesn't like dirty speedsters, but I cruised @ 90 MPH, with plenty of bursts of 100 MPH, and even one short lunge up to 120. (+)

Sadly the ominous black clouds that I'd been skirting all day finally opened up and I got rained on, and even though I could have put my wet weather pants on and kept going, wet roads aren't anywhere as much fun to ride really fast on, so I turned back for Canberra, and arrived safe in my garage just as the deluge started. Great day! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20984 on: January 31, 2016, 12:57:00 am »

Geez those Guzman Y Gomez places are like McDonalds in QLD Tim, I hope they move further south, the only Mex food I've had so far in Canberra has been crap.........

That Sporty looks good, I rode mine down to Phillip Island for the Classic Last weekend and had a great ride, even with the rain that smashed down every few miles. Once I install the new 18 inch rear wheel and Mikuni HSR42 carb I'll trailer it up to Canberra to blast it around the hills up here, should be great fun.

And like Sean, day G'Day to Dave for me! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20985 on: January 31, 2016, 01:06:25 am »
Terry, face in the window is scary...lets get this going again...
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,54370.msg1739630.html#msg1739630
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20986 on: January 31, 2016, 01:39:16 am »
Aww mate...thats a belt drive sporty you have there....

I'm old school 4 speed chain drive.

I spoke to Dave this evening (I was lazy and slept in this morning missing our usual Sunday ride)

I'll pass along all the greetings.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20987 on: January 31, 2016, 03:20:48 am »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20988 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:43 am »

I spoke to Dave this evening (I was lazy and slept in this morning missing our usual Sunday ride)

Thanks mate, mine's a 1994 XLH1200 5 speed with only 4,000 miles from new, so I'll wait until the belt wears out before I do the chain drive conversion, I know that the belts aren't good for high performance mods, but I like that I don't have to oil it, either. ;D

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20989 on: January 31, 2016, 04:43:04 am »

Thanks mate, mine's a 1994 XLH1200 5 speed with only 4,000 miles from new, so I'll wait until the belt wears out before I do the chain drive conversion, I know that the belts aren't good for high performance mods, but I like that I don't have to oil it, either. ;D

Its a Harley...give it time and it will oil itself lol

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #20990 on: February 01, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »
terrys Harley does look good in the sun!mine is an older 4spd evo too,5spd does not give you a better highway gear though just better cruising around town.both are nice!billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20991 on: February 01, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »
Yeah, I bought it because it's the same color scheme as my old iron head 1000 Bill, it was a 4 speed, and 4th was way higher than 3rd, so I only ever used the first 3 gears around town. Hopefully my 18inch back wheel and Mikuni HSR42 carb will arrive by the weekend so I can continue with it's conversion..... ;D

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #20992 on: February 02, 2016, 11:54:37 am »
nice Terry,what rpm does it turn on the highway?no tach on mine.bill
another anfob

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20993 on: February 02, 2016, 02:37:40 pm »

Mine sits at around 3,000 but its a 4 speed lol

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20994 on: February 02, 2016, 02:51:40 pm »
G'day Bill, same as Tim, 60 Mph in 5th is 3000 RPM, looks like they just put a gear in between 3rd and 4th on the old 4 speed to get the ratios consistent? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20995 on: February 02, 2016, 05:08:37 pm »
G'day Bill, same as Tim, 60 Mph in 5th is 3000 RPM, looks like they just put a gear in between 3rd and 4th on the old 4 speed to get the ratios consistent? Cheers, Terry. ;D

I dunno...Mines pretty evenly spaced...or thats the impression I get....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20996 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:26 pm »
No worries Tim, on the old Iron Sporty 4 speeds, there was a huge leap between 3rd and 4th, so I'd only use 3rd around town, and 4th once I got on the highway. If the gears on the Evo sporty 4 speeds are evenly spaced, I can't think of a good reason why they'd make a 5 speed, same as I don't see why the new big twins need a 6th gear? ;D

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #20997 on: February 02, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »

mine is 4 speed too,guys, some time it feels like it could use an od gear,but other than that it will pull from low down in any gear.terry they claim that the 5spd was better at slower spds.bill
another anfob

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20998 on: February 02, 2016, 06:34:44 pm »

mine is 4 speed too,guys, some time it feels like it could use an od gear,but other than that it will pull from low down in any gear.terry they claim that the 5spd was better at slower spds.bill

Mines turning 3300 rpm at 110 KPH and about 4200 at 140....

Haven't hit the ton yet.....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20999 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:41 pm »
Don't hold your breath Tim, they take a long time to get there...... ;D