Author Topic: CB750 K0 Restoration - Round #3  (Read 44370 times)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750 K0 Restoration - Round #3
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »
I did not see the vent elbows on the carbs?
What size is the main jet in your carbs? Idle jet?  Thanks.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:29 am »
Hi! 2 up all the time, can't leave home without her.  ;D  I just put on a set of Bridgestones after about 9000 miles. There was some life left in the Dunlops but I was going on a trip and wanted fresh tires. A good place for tires is HDL, http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6688&str=4 , good prices and free shipping I believe. I like the bridgestones over the Dunlops. You guys great deal on tires down there. The Bridgestone are close to $650 up here. Advice on trips? Fresh oil? I'm running Mobil 1 full synthetic
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/oils/motorcycle_oils.aspx/  The transmission seems to like it and the bike runns quieter. You may think you're hearing valve clatter but it's the injectors. The new Wings run lighter weight oil than my 2007 I think.  No other advice to offer except enjoy it. It's a great bike to travel on. I got a gel seat pad which makes the seat a bit more comfortable, a back rest to keep me from slouching, just ordered some bar risers to raise the bars about 1 1/2 inches.
Get used to the weight. 2 up it's heavy but having said that I've dragged my boot in corners and surprised myself how fast I was cruising at.
I've added some Baker wings but I think yours has more wind protection than mine. One thing to consider is a belly pan. I put one on and am surprised at the number of dings in it. The oil filter and coolant overflow tank are pretty exposed and the belly pan has saved a lot of people grief on the road.
I'll post more as I think of it but the bike is trouble free so far and a joy to ride. Cliff.

Definitely going to mobil One after my first oil change! I was betting it would shift smoother after doing so, just breaking it in now.

Thinking of adding a lip to the top wind screen because I can experience some buffeting at high speeds. If the screen is in down position it feels like somebody is punching me in the head. So bad my teeth start to ache. Bought a new Nolan 43N helmet and hope that helps.

Belly pan will be in the future after I save up some more mad money. I've heard this suggestion from many Goldwing owners. Good call

Put a shorter antenna on it because it slaps the lighting in my garage when moving the bike around...

The bike feels amazingly light for 900 pounds, even with the wife on board. I rubbed my first peg on the road the other day by mistake. Wasn't hard to do because the lean on the bike is so neutral. It easily maneuvers the tight corners.  In some ways the Goldwing feels just as light as the CB750.   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:29:31 am by Simpson »
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:21 am »
I did not see the vent elbows on the carbs?
What size is the main jet in your carbs? Idle jet?  Thanks.

Its all stock with near stock settings.
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:22 am »
I had a lot of buffeting with the stock windshield so I went to the National Cycle V Stream one. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=JtTEJAxf&mv_arg=N20012A&search_model=hd%2d143  It seems to help although when I raise it the windshield has a fair bit of movement to it which is bothersome. They are making a thicker and more costly one  which seems more solid. It seems to be a love hate with this windshiels as they are being resold on the GL1800 forum at times. Just a note on the GL1800 forum, it's not like this forum. There's a bunch of unhappy with life and if it's not a Goldwing it's crap people there so take it all with a grain of salt. The other thing I did was add some under mirror wind deflectors which kept some wind off me and lots off my passenger. Mine are from Tulsa but I don't see them on their web site anymore. Baker has some http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/h18hw.html but they looked kind of clunky to me.
I had good luck with a Laminar Lip on my ST1100 and received a lot of interesting comments about it like "what the hell is that!?".
The other things I used that may be snake oil are Tunnel Fillers. They are made of sponge and fill the area between the forks and the fairing http://wingstuff.com/products/3645-gl1800-gold-wing-fairing-fork-tunnel-fillers?sitesync=done  They work for me but others have found no difference.
I don't mind a bit of wind but it is bothersome at times.
Have you dropped it at slow speeds or trying to get it on the center stand? It's not a very exclusive club as it seems to happen to everyone.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:08 am »
Light handling? Yes, for a big gal she is surprisingly light on her feet even 2 up. And forgiving too. I found myself in the wrong gear, way too high, coming into a tight right hand up hill hairpin on the road to the top of Mount Baker. I thought the road went straight through so I was preparing to slow for a parking lot when the guy in front of me disappeared over my right shoulder. Oh #$%*! I didn't have time to shift down so I rolled the throttle on and pushed it over. The massive torque pulled us through the corner without missing a beat. I was very happy about that. It seems to pull effortlessly from 1500 or even less rpm. My wife was  not very happy with me though. Cliff.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:22 am »

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »
Great stuff Cliff, thanks. Right now I'm in the Acadia national Park in Maine coming from Virginia Beach. Got about 1500 miles on this trip so far. I haven't dropped it yet but I had some uneasy moments. I've learned it slow speed turning you need to hit the throttle pretty good. Have almost given myself a hernia putting it on the center stand some parking was uneven. I think my first purchase will be the luggage liners and and half cover when it rains. Should I worry at all if it gets rained on?
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:11 pm »
Hi! No worries about rain on it. A cover will be good as the water gathers in the low spots of the seat. I got a full cover just because. Luggage liners are a great idea. Pack them up and just take them out of the saddle bags and march into the motel room, too easy. I bought a big one for the trunk but never use it. I put a trunk rack on and use a rack bag for our rain gear for easy access. Sounds like a nice trip. Smooth riding bike eh? Enjoying the power? Don't worry about dropping it, you probably will. It just sets down on the crash guards without hurting anything except your pride. fairly easy to pick up too. If you try to stop it from going down once it  decides too, THAT will be hernia time. "Helpfull" people trying to pick it up should be avoided as they like to push on the expensive plastic. Here's how to pick it up.
How to pick up a Goldwing up off the ground   Cliff.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »
Just looked at the park's web site, now I'm really envious! Cliff.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2012, 03:48:09 am »
On a side note I've had two lights come on my dash. The engine light came on during the first day while driving in high heat about 95-100 degree heat. I'm not sure why the engine light came on for a couple hours actually. The last couple mornings I also got a yellow flashing light. I think that light was low tire pressure. Last question cliff. Have you ever got faults neutrals or had strange mis-shifts, it's happened to me three times on this trip?
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2012, 05:50:34 am »
Getting back to the K0, here's a question:  Did the K0s come with metal or plastic inner tube caps?  Silly little detail, but I wonder if anyone's ever bothered.  I noticed I had a metal one on my 550's back tire before I got a new tire put on.    Seems whoever put on the tire swiped it. It looked a lot like CA2 here:

http://www.solatindustry.com/china-motorcycle-parts/valve-cap.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:52:58 am by fastbroshi »
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2012, 08:10:11 am »
Hi! Sorry, no dash lights have come on like that. Yours does have a tire pressure monitoring system which may be the yellow one. I don't have an engine light that I can see (just went down and checked again). I do have a re F1 light that comes on when the ignition is turned on but goes off pretty quick. if it comes on when I'm riding I'm supposed to go to a shop to have the bike checked. Could it be you touched the cruise switch? A light will come on if you do that, of course it says "Cruise' which you would see. No false neutrals or mis-shifts on mine. I do get a strange double click at times. There have been reports of this on the GL1800 forum. I'll do a little more research. Cliff.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:35 am »
I sent your comments to a fellow on a GL1800 forum called Cruiseman who has a 2012 Wing. I know I have to do a more deliberate shift on mine and not short shift to avoid a clunky shift. There have been some trans isuuses with the older ones. If it continues I would take it in to the dealer. I'll report back when I hear from Cruiseman. Cliff.

Offline TwoBigCats

• Hobbyist beekeeper
  • Enthusiast
    • TwoBigCats
CB750 K0 Restoration - Round #3
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2012, 06:10:01 am »
On a side note I've had two lights come on my dash. The engine light came on during the first day while driving in high heat about 95-100 degree heat. I'm not sure why the engine light came on for a couple hours actually. The last couple mornings I also got a yellow flashing light. I think that light was low tire pressure. Last question cliff. Have you ever got faults neutrals or had strange mis-shifts, it's happened to me three times on this trip?
i've enjoyed reading you're entire thread - very cool!

as to your reported 1800 shift issues, suggest you research shift/transmission issues on gl1800riders.com/forums - fair amount of feedback on that topic. a key suggestion is to log / report to honda svc sooner rather than later as there ay be warranty work in your future.

wrt differences in forum "personality", magpie is correct: very different vibe over there :(

again, great thread on your KO :)
GL1800 | 750 K6 | '69 CB/CL 160 | '70 CT 70

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2012, 08:20:32 am »
Good idea to be sure to let your dealer know about your concerns so it is documented just in case. I've had some strange shifts but wrote that off to operator error so far. No jumping out of gear or missed shifts. The GL1800 forum is a scary place at times. While they feel/know they have the best touring bike made, they sure pick it apart ruthlessly. And don't get talking about Harleys, gun control or politics!
Any more shifting issues so far?
Cliff.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:29:44 am by Magpie »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »
So, where are you today? Cliff.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:07 am »
Just got home. The last day was rough with 13 hours of some serious heat and dodging rain.
No mishaps, just tired.  :P
Got some great pictures of Maine!

1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2012, 05:59:51 am »
Good idea to be sure to let your dealer know about your concerns so it is documented just in case. I've had some strange shifts but wrote that off to operator error so far. No jumping out of gear or missed shifts. The GL1800 forum is a scary place at times. While they feel/know they have the best touring bike made, they sure pick it apart ruthlessly. And don't get talking about Harleys, gun control or politics!
Any more shifting issues so far?
Cliff.

Does your bike pull to the side? Mine pulls to the right and I've seen many others note the same issue on forums.
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:38 am »
Getting back to the K0, here's a question:  Did the K0s come with metal or plastic inner tube caps?  Silly little detail, but I wonder if anyone's ever bothered.  I noticed I had a metal one on my 550's back tire before I got a new tire put on.    Seems whoever put on the tire swiped it. It looked a lot like CA2 here:

http://www.solatindustry.com/china-motorcycle-parts/valve-cap.html

I believe they came with plain black plastic caps.
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:43 am »
Great pictures for sure! No, my does not pull to the right. 13 hours is a long day in the saddle. Cliff.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:48 pm »
Just checking in as I approach 30k. All is in good health and look forward to hitting 100k some day.
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »
Regarding inner tube caps, my KO came with metal for the thread area and then a rubber cone top. Not sure, but this looks pretty old and might be what it came with.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2014, 03:00:46 am »
Just checking in as I approach 30k. All is in good health and look forward to hitting 100k some day.
Hey Simpson, While back was looking at past threads of members with 750KO's and ran across some of your post and noticed you hadn't been logged on here in quite a while. Was going to PM you to see what was up but never did. That's one good looking KO. Glad you checked back in ;)

dhall
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide