Author Topic: oil filter cover repair  (Read 4474 times)

Offline steamnjn23

• Enthusiast
oil filter cover repair
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:01:35 pm »
here is the problem:  PO tightened the oil filter bolt too tight, you have to use a grinder to remove it...what do you do?

first you want to smooth the surface of the filter cover and connected fins where the new bolt will attach to.  i used a grinder, then went to a dremel tool to finish up the surface.  it should be as smooth as possible.

then grind off all the head of the filter bolt, taking care to comepletely remove any and all burrs.  you will need to re-use the o-ring as it helps hold everything together and create a sealing surface.  
what you want is basically a tube looking bolt.

finding the center of the bolt, drill and tap the end.  i used a 5/16 tap as that's what i had on hand.  now make sure to completely clean all burrs, and shards from inside and out.  i used air nozzel several times to be sure.  running your bare hands over the edges will reveal any areas you still need to address.

now go to a home depot type store and get a 5/16"x1" bolt, fender washer(washer needs to bigger than the hole it is sealing), 5/16 rubber washer, nylon washer and 5/16 flat washer.  as you can see from the photos, you will have to replace the rubber everytime you remove the bolt.  you could also use a "radial tube car tire patch",  just punch a small hole in the center.

now screw in the filter bolt, using a small screwdriver inserted thru the holes in the bolt, to just tighten the bolt, REMEMBER, not too tight...this is a temporary fix until your bolt and filter cover arrives.

now assemble the filter, filter housing and insert your new 5/16 bolt with washers to hold the assembly together.  next,tighten with a wrench and ride your bike while you wait for the new parts to arrive.

remember this is just a temporary fix, not designed for long term, but who knows?!
total cost  .91 tax included

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:05:46 pm by steamnjn23 »
1976 cb550

Offline steamnjn23

• Enthusiast
Re: oil filter cover repair
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »
sorry, i forgot the photos...my bad
1976 cb550

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:48 pm »
Well....that looked like alot of work.

Yeah I know its .91 cents but a new bolt is $10 bucks.

When the flats strip on mine....

I remove the bolt with a pipe wrench.

I then file the head round with a plain ol' hand file.

I dig a nut out of the junk bolt drawer. One that has an inside diameter same as the rounded off part

Then weld it on the rounded portion of the bolt.

Total Cost: 0.

Plus ....with a bigger nut on the filter bolt you never strip another one.

But seriously....just buy a new bolt.
Stranger in a strange land

byfbo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:53:10 pm »
you could also just use a hardened steel chisel and a hammer.  Tap a notch on the side of the bolt head, and tap in a counter clock wise direction, should shock the bolt enough to loosen it.  It usually works for me.  Usually....

Offline Yoshi823

• Biker to the bone.
  • Enthusiast
  • Never too old to be a biker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:31:17 am »
Dave Silver spares in the UK sell a new oil filter bolt with a 17mm AF hex head already on it. They also sell an extended one for use on the 750F2 that has the extra cooling body between the crankcase and the filter housing.

I got a stuck filter bolt off my 1st 550F1 by the chisel and notch method...slow and laborious...but worth it.
Bikes...they're in the blood.

Yamaha 2001 R1
Yamaha 1990 FZR1000R EXUP
KTM 2004 450 EXC RFS
Honda 1997 XR400R
Honda 1988 CB125T2

http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=3&id=67

Offline shino

• All cafe'd up and ready to go!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 11:13:00 am »
I welded a piece of flat bar to the end of the worn out bolt worked fine on my bike. Not exactly original but works fine nonetheless. I'll post pics later. :)
"I'm not interested in normal humans. If there are aliens, time travellers or ESPers among you, come and find me." - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

1972 Cb750k2 836

Other Bikes? Too many to list....