Author Topic: any Miles Davis fans here?  (Read 928 times)

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
any Miles Davis fans here?
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:24:25 pm »
for one reason or another i havent listened to any jazz in quite some time until htis evening. was replacing speaker cables on my home stereo after an unfortunate encounter with Bucky the siamese (either he hasnt been shocked yet or he has and LIKES it) he chews cords and wires if theyre not protected. i never even thought about putting the split plastic conduit on my monster cables. well anyways to make a long story short, after putting the new speaker wires in i thought i'd test the reciever to see if any damage was caused by the chewed, mangled wires and the first cd i put my hand on happened to be My Funny Valentine by Miles Davis. i spent the entire afternoon in my papasan chair listening to Miles and Coltrane and a couple of Sun Ra cd's i also have, getting mellow. so, as pissed as i was at the cat eating 3 dollar a foot speaker wires, it was cool too because i re-discovered how much i love old jazz.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: any Miles Davis fans here?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:32:42 pm »
My question is who doesn't like Davis or Coltrane?

They are both awesome listens especially when you plop the vinyl on the 'table.

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »
i have alot of their stuff on original vinyl, records my mom bought when they were new and freshly released. one day i'd like to invest in a good turntable.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »
i have Miles' Kind OF Blue on right now, thats a recording session i'd haved loved to see. from what i'm told, this material had never been played until the recording session, that the entire album was one, AMAZING jam. history being made is what i say.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:46 pm »
I am a HUGE fan of all the greats of the Bebop era.  There are few things more relaxing than putting on one of my favorite jazz records, sitting in my favorite chair and sipping my favorite beverage. 8) 

Offline pdxPope

• Hit Shit, Hat Shat, Hut Shut,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:15 am »

Oh yes! Miles is definitely one of my favorites. A truly brilliant man. Kind of Blue is great, so is Sketches of Spain.
Bucky, have you ever heard #$%*es' Brew. It'll change your life, man.

Never was a big fan of Bebop, tho. Too many notes.

-JP

The flowers say "Let's go shopping together..."
While the unicorn whispers "...for adult toys."

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 04:25:40 am »
Buckster, me lad, there is only one kind of music that after 60 or so years that still brings me up Jazzz. Every thing from Miles to L.H.& R. Ive been really lucky, Saw Miles at a concert at Massey Hall in T.O., Zoot Sims at Georges Spaghetti House in T.O., Oscar Peterson and Trio dropped in W.L.U. to do a photo shoot on the Steinway Piano there and wound up giving us freaks an impromptu concert ( my wife is still pissed that I didn't call her) Moe Kaufman, Ed Bickert, and I think Jerry Fuller as a trio in Owen sound Playing Kaufman's classical/jazz fusion stuff. Also Shelly Manne at the Light House in Hermosa Beach Calif, Roberto Sandoval big band in Ottawa for the jazz festival there's more but it's just after 0700 and I've not had enough coffee. Hell I'll listen to Stuff Smith, Yusef Lateef, Trane, Gerry Mulligan, MJQ ( favorite Christmas carol ) Ike Issacs trio, Roberto Occhipinti,Woody Herman and the list goes on. Miles's Green Dolphin St is another fav. Sorry I'm rambling.
Bill the demon

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:24:22 am »
Hey Bill,

I've heard good things about the Toronto jazz scene for many years. Is Ed Bikert still active there? He was a main reason I tried using a Telecaster for playing jazz. I also never realized Massey Hall was in Toronto, lots of great music recorded there.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:09:07 am »
Bucky it wasn't Roberto Sandoval it was Arturo Sandoval at the Ottawa Jazz festival, great venue in a park with beer tents, food, bring your own chair, booze, picnic lunch any how when Sandoval's band lit up, about 5 min in the whole crowd was on their feet boppin jiving etc. Other one I saw there was Hugh Masekala and his band, also amazing people dancing in the streets going past, in the park, Taxi drivers pulling over. Azure I used to know a bit about it but haven't been there for a while, we now live 4-4 1/2 hours away and I'm getting older, the car's getting older, but next summer I plan on pressuring my daughter and son in law into getting tickets at some of the more interesting venues ( by that time I hope the GD house is far enough along that I don't feel guilty) So Azure, are you into people like Lenny Breau, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, Django, I'm trying to think of some of modern players but they escape me. I live hours away from any jazz club, thank god for Galaxy on the satellite. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to spend a year hitting all the jazz events, ( maybe having concerts in our front yard) then a scotch tour through the old heather ( if it's a big enough win a piece of my favourite distillery and then that Matchless G50. I dream. I dream.
Bill the demon.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:43 am »
Lenny Breau, I'd forgotten he was Canadian as well. I met him sometime around '74 or '75. He gave a solo concert in Boston, and it seemed like he kept looking at me the whole time, so I introduced myself and thanked him (of course it was a swell concert, and I got to see how he did the harmonic thing) when the concert finished. Other Canadian guys I've admired are Amos Garrett, and although I didn't realize he was Canadian by birth until recently, Diz Disley who I used to enjoy with Stephane Grappelli. I also like Don Thompson and Terry Clarke, who were Bourbon Street regulars, weren't they? I had always wanted to visit that place, but I don't know if it still exists.
Some of the still active guitar players that I admire from the classic jazz genre are Russell Malone, Mike Stern and Howard Alden, but there's a jillion great players out there.

It would be a great thrill for me as well to have the time and funds to travel to concerts on a classic steed. I've also been very fortunate to see some wonderful concerts over the years. Aside from some limited venues where I got to play as well as watch, I also worked as a stage hand for the Boston Jazz Festival for a few years, and got to spend time up close with some of my heros. Some of my most proud moments really...

Offline number13

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 CB500, 2002 VT750DC
    • Sound Exchange
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
...listening to Miles and Coltrane and a couple of Sun Ra cd's i also have, getting mellow.

You listen to Sun Ra to get mellow?
Man, what do listen to to get hyper?
 :D :D :D
Bikes parked out front mean good chicken-fried steak inside.