Author Topic: Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!  (Read 44416 times)

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:04:12 pm »
Today was the  start of my winter project which I have named Marmalade for two reasons.

1) Like marmalade this bike will have an orange paint scheme to it
2) Marmalade also means to conserve which is what I hope to do with the budget on this project

The bike has 30,000 miles on the clock would fire up with a jump start and run on 2-3 cylinders the carbs definitely need rebuilt so kits will be ordered in the coming week.  The master cylinder and caliper will be rebuilt as well as the front and rear wheels with new spokes and elbow grease on the rims and hubs.  The frame will be painted gloss black the motor silver (no polished parts) with the cylinders (maybe) painted black.  A cafe seat and clubman bars are planned as well as new levers, grips, bar end mirrors, turn signals (missing from bike), and rear sets.

I plan to work on the project an hour or so 3-4 days a week with a projected finish date of May 1st with a 2 week shake down period to follow.  The bike with retain some of it's patina as I am not going for 100 point show quality bike but a rider that I won't have to worry about riding.  The front fender has a small ding and I don't plan to fix it or replace it.  A functional fun bike is what the goal is and to resell it come summer for my cost or hopefully a little profit or very little loss. 

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum and searching specific topics like rear sets, tires, carb rebuild etc. and kudos to those who have posted over the years you've been a tremendous help already!  And to anyone looking for answers don't be shy about searching through 7 or 8 pages of threads to get the info you need.  You'll pick up bits of info along the way that you'll use on your bike at some point.

More pics will follow and I hope forum members will get the enjoyment out of my project as I have gotten of all the ones I've read over the last few months

Does this points cover look right to you?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:27:31 am by Mayor08 »
Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
Re: Project Marmalade 1975 CB750K
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »
let's try adding a pic one more time...

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »
Okay I've read through the posting photos post through the search option here and I cannot figure out why I am unable to properly uplaod pics from photo bucket.  I have checked my Photo B settings and checked through their FAQ section and am still at a loss for what I am doing wrong. 

Is there a site problem connected to what was happening a few days ago? 

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:08 pm »
Nope. Not a forum problem. In photobucket click "Share" on the photo you want, then "Get Link Code" then copy the first link under "IMG for bulletin boards & forums" and paste it into your post.

Alternatively if you have the link to the pic you can click   in the bar while posting and paste your url in between the IMG tags.

In the post above it looks like you're linking to the page and not the image

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/Mayor08/Project%20Cafe%201975%20CB750K/HondaK5Project001-1.jpg

instead of

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/Mayor08/Project%20Cafe%201975%20CB750K/?action-view&current=HondaK5Project001-1.jpg&newest=1

More pics will follow and I hope forum members will get the enjoyment out of my project as I have gotten of all the ones I've read over the last few months

Does this points cover look right to you?

That points cover looks 90˚ out of whack.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:49:09 pm by Iggy »

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »
Didn't work here the pasted link..

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »
OKAy!  I've got it thanks a bunch! :D

Now to get out to the garage I'll erase some of those failed pic posts later ...

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:47 pm »
progress has been a little slow as of late I started a new job last week and have had little time for anything else.  I have managed to disconnect the wiring harness and label all of the connections for reconnecting later but there were a lot of wires that were not joined to another wire so I have some homework to do so I'm ready when it comes time to rewire the bike.

The back side of both of my gauges have severe pitting not sure if I will clean them up for paint or try to find replacements.

I did find an original package of extra fuses between the battery box and the oil tank

Here is the mess that was in the headlight I'm sure it looks familiar to many of you

Offline SanDogDewey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:51:05 pm »
Looks like the wrong points cover. My '77 has "Honda" with the screw holes at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »
yeah, not sure its a Honda part but had a good laugh when I first saw it.  Might keep it might not...

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »
the points cover is for a CB 500 or 550

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:02 pm »
Well its a nice start to be sure. Glad to see another member from the Chi-town area!

You are correct about the tid bits.. I only wish I had time to read all the posts I want to, but then I would not have any time for the bike!

TTS,
.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 06:52:22 pm »
Progress has been slow but steady.  The bike is now fully apart and cleaning has begun I will be tackling the engine cleaning this weekend along with the dirtiest bits that have come off of the bike. 

Almost there

The sump looked very clean even though the the oil that came out of the engine was the filthiest I've ever seen.

And the biggest surprize so far are the brand spanking new points!

I'll take the frame to the local DIY carwash and and power wash the hell out of it to try and save some time and mess in the garage.  I'm working in tight quarters the available space in my garage for this is 6'X7' and with everything apart space is at a premium.

Thanks to former posters for the tips to remove the carboraters the broom handle trick worked like a charm!

Scott- when I get the K5 on the road we'll have to try and organize a ride or something

traveler

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:02:38 pm »
Looks great so far.

MORE PICS !!!!!!  ;D ;D

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 07:13:49 pm »
Scott- when I get the K5 on the road we'll have to try and organize a ride or something

Its a deal, just make sure to check behind you for me, not sure how well my 550 can keep up with your 750.. ;)

Mine should be done by early June I hope!

.:Scott:.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »
Engine cleaning has begun and will continue....forever...  actually I hope to finish by the end of the coming weekend.

This is after the first round of degreasing it looks a lot cleaner in the pics but all of the thick grime is gone

I've been cleaning a few other parts to "keep my spirits up" because doping the engine takes so much effort.

This is a test peice for the engine color not sure if I want to go straight aluminum.

These flanges came out well with just a wire wheel in a drill.  I think I want to leave them raw but will probably clear coat them with high temp clear they'll really pop against the black header pipe I am going to install.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:13:47 pm by Mayor08 »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 08:24:54 pm »
Nice work. How did you get the battery box so clean?

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 08:48:26 pm »
Scott....looks like a wire wheel attachment in a drill.....

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 08:15:36 pm »
Perhaps, its just mine did not come that clean with a wire wheel on a drill.. perhaps I need a new one, mine is pretty old come to think of it...hum...

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:34:58 pm »
Scott,
I used a 3" wire wheel (new) from Menard's for $4 and took my time.  An electric drill works best I started with a cordless then made the switch after draining a couple of batteries fairly quickly.  Also I think the pictures make them look a bit cleaner than they really were.  I picked up some small wire brushes from a bin at the Sears Hardware today for $2 each these will help get into the the tight places on the engine which I wasn't able to work on today but hopefully tomorrow for a large portion of the day...but we'll see.  My goal is to only spend an hour or two 3-4 nights a week so far I've been able to stick to that. 

traveler

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:45 am »
Looks great so far...keep up the good work!

That seat has to go though.....

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 07:15:30 pm »
Yea very nice. I will pick up a new wire wheel and see how it goes. I have been using an electric drill for the same reason. I really could use a bench grinder with buffing attachments and wire wheel attachments tho.. Hum.. may be I will go research and see if I can get some thing like that.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »
Why is it I keep cleaning my engine even though I finished cleaning it two weeks ago?  Is it paranoia that the paint won't stick?  I'm waiting for the weather to break 40 degress before I prime it that way I can be sure that the temp in the garage will hold long enough while heated. 

The build is coming along many parts have been ordered and delivered like my cafe seat

I do have question for the collective- 

How much play should the front sproket have?  Mine wiggles a little bit but spins well.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 07:49:01 pm »
If it helps any mine also has some wiggle in it and it does not seem to cause any issues.. Perhaps its supposed to be that way. Not sure tho..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 08:26:03 am »
Why is it I keep cleaning my engine even though I finished cleaning it two weeks ago?  Is it paranoia that the paint won't stick?  I'm waiting for the weather to break 40 degress before I prime it that way I can be sure that the temp in the garage will hold long enough while heated.

Looking good!  When I painted mine, aside from the weeks of tedious cleaning and prep stray, I also picked up one more tip that helps, especially if it's cool/cold out (and even if it's not).  Set your spray cans in some hot water for a little while before painting.  This helps build up a little more internal pressure and makes for a better result (more consistent spray, better dispersion, more pressure behind it, etc).  This tip is good for anything spraycan.

Rider no. 83 on the 2013 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 228 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 70 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour

my '75 CB750 cafe build photo documentary:  looking for the Lone Stars is like playing Where's Waldo -- enjoy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157615892537535/

CB350 twin, rigid meat grinder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157627005176764/

Blip Workshop
http://www.blipworkshop.com
http://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
Today the temperature was well above 40 degrees and I was able to paint my engine and the results are positive.  I spent double the amount of time I had planned cleaning and prepping the surfaces but i was very concerned that the paint would not adhere properly.  I followed the advice of the Architect and set the cans in hot water before each session of spraying the paint seemed to go on well and I only had two instances of drips which were easily fixed. 

I'm going to ask the wife to paint the Honda letters by hand on each side of the engine in black

I've already begun swapping to stainless fasteners but came accross 2 stubborn screws on the stator cover and decided to quit while I was ahead and not do something stupid.  There is plenty of time to do that tomorrow!