Author Topic: Converting (?) to strictly kick start  (Read 7884 times)

Offline Kinch

• Enthusiast
Converting (?) to strictly kick start
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »
Stock 1975 CB750 K5 with an older Dyna ignition.

I'm trying to make the bike as simple as possible and would like to, first of all, get rid of the Dyna and hopefully only use the kick-starter. I'm also thinking about replacing the whole wiring harness and I remember reading a good while ago about someone on here selling a simplified harness on EBAY.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1975 CB750 K5
1980 GS850L

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
Re: Converting (?) to strictly kick start
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »
i thought about that also.. i think the only way is to somehow hook  up a magneto( in the pic of a tricked out bike) to it because right now there needs to be a small electric charge to the coils to create a spark... but there could be another way that i dont know of... but what i am thinking about is getting rid of the starter and start button as well as the celliniod.. and getting a small jet ski battery that would easier to hide and and still allow enough current for a spark.... i also thought about changing the right hand grip and hiding the start button somewhere just incase i need to jump it or couldnt kick it for some reason
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:19:23 am »
Well you'll ned some sort of ignition to fire the coils correctly so you're not going to be able to junk everything. One solution is to connect the stator output wires (three yellow if I remember right)off your crank up to a Boyer Bransden power box to generate the sparks (I went futher and changed my stator/rotor for a CB350 K4 version to slim down the width of the engine).  This connects to a micro digital boyer ignition and you have the means to spark up the coils without a battery. If you then remove the starter motor and plug the case where it fits, you can fit the powerbox into the starter recess behind the block and the microdigital ignition on the main frame rail under the tank. Result - kick starting bike with no battery, no visible other bits and very tidy wiring....you can check all the details for the products out on www.boyerbransden.com
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Kinch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:34 am »
Very interesting, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the replies.
1975 CB750 K5
1980 GS850L

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:24 am »
Very interesting, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the replies.
In Lordmoon's example, you would have to do what he has done, convert to a CB350 type alternator, to actually fire the ignition without a battery. That is because the CB750 alternator will not put out any power without some power going into it first, like from a battery. It is unique in this.

I would like more details on the conversion to the CB350 alternator. I have heard rumors as long as I've been in CBs that this could be done but have never actually seen it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:34 am »
Just use the kick start then, do you guys really want to complicate things for yourselves and spend $$$ when all you had to do in the first place was just kick it.

If you are not using it for racing you are kinda wasting your $$$ and time.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:49 am »
Just use the kick start then, do you guys really want to complicate things for yourselves and spend $$$ when all you had to do in the first place was just kick it.

Don't know about the others but LordMoonpie and mine are track or trackday bikes.

But for the street I'd agree, a lot more productive use of time and money.

But hey, they're just toys after all. Something to keep us from beating the wife and painting the walls downtown.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Kinch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:14 am »

Just curious what would be involved. Plus I figure if I take out the starter I can carry a 22 of Red Stripe in there.
1975 CB750 K5
1980 GS850L

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:54:10 am »
i'm planning on going kick only, but i'm also going to run one of Rob's nifty batteries under my cowl to keep down the size and weight of any other AGM out there.  i am interested in the CB350 swap idea as well, but just for information.  i'm going to have my rotor lightened as well to help the crank spin a little faster and shave some weight.  i want it to be reliable but still kind of racey.  plus, who needs a starter!!  i'm 25, my legs are still strong!!   ;D ;D
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »

But hey, they're just toys after all. Something to keep us from beating the wife and painting the walls downtown.

Haha, good one!!
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:23 am »
I converted to kick only to save weight. I did not remove the rotor, only the start clutch and other starter hardware. I left the charging system intact. Also, I was able to run a much smaller battery. My only expense was an expandable rubber freeze-plug to block off the starter hole.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:44 am »
I run  a Small 12N 5.5A battery most of the time & kick only.

I just ran it all winter here on a buggered stock battery that puts out 7 volts or less most of the time, still starts.

I sell  2 types of aluminum block off plugs, just got to pick up some more O-rings for them..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:51 am »
Heck, no mention of a lighting requirement.  It's those pesky spark plugs that are the problem.
Convert to glow plugs.
Use straight methanol.
Up the CR.
Maybe trim off some cooling fin material (or block airflow through them to help retain heat)
Just need a small battery to make the plugs glow for kick start.  After that, the platinum in the plug will catalyze the methanol when the A/F mixture is compressed.  Turn the staring battery off, and drive away.
Want more power?  Add Nitro.

Won't get much lighter than that.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »
Heck, no mention of a lighting requirement.  It's those pesky spark plugs that are the problem.
Convert to glow plugs.
Use straight methanol.
Up the CR.
Maybe trim off some cooling fin material (or block airflow through them to help retain heat)
Just need a small battery to make the plugs glow for kick start.  After that, the platinum in the plug will catalyze the methanol when the A/F mixture is compressed.  Turn the staring battery off, and drive away.
Want more power?  Add Nitro.

Won't get much lighter than that.

Haha, good one??
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!