Author Topic: Cam Sprocket  (Read 950 times)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Cam Sprocket
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:55 am »
I've just started tearing down another motor and the cam sprocket has a thin metal plate attached to either side of it. Has anyone seen one of these before?
I'm assuming that it must be an oil slinger to help lubricate the cam chain.
In the first photo you can see that the cam journal has seen better days.
This motor is locked up rock solid.
It has had some work done to it previously and I'm hoping that it's rebuildable.
Mick

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Cam Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:55 am »
G'Day Mick, that's a 550 cam sprocket, with moulded hard plastic "shoulders" on it. The 550 and 750 sprockets have the same number of teeth. Why's the engine locked up, is it heat seized? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:09:54 am »
G'Day Terry,
This motor is in an old school chopper that I inherited with a K1 that I bought just before Xmas.
It was supposed to stay on the back burner while I finished off the other 10,000 jobs that I've started.
Don't know much about it except that it's got an old SA number plate on it and 810 stamped into the front case where 736cc was.
Curiosity got the better of me the other night so I grabbed a couple of Wild Turkeys and some spanners and got this far.
It's solid as a rock even with the valve gear unbolted.
Tried the breaker bar on the crank rotor bolt and left it resting on it's own weight with a jack for a few days but she's got the heels dug in.
The other cam sprocket bolt is facing down and loctited in so I'll have to break the chain to get the head off or maybe just pull it out and gut it.
Bloody boys and their toys!!!!
Mick

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:21:00 am »
Ha ha, that's cool Mick, I had an American "Santee" frame in the 1980's and was going to build a chopper, but ran out of money. Cutting the chain with an angle grinder is probably the easiest way to remove it, chains are cheap.

Tell me about that silver CB750 mate, I did up a K1 in 1980 and rode it for a few years, and a bloke called Lenny Henderson-Smith in Sydney repaired the tank and painted it silver, including painting on the stripe. I sold it in 1984 or so, and I haven't seen another silver one until I saw yours? Looks good mate! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:34:12 am »
I've had that bike for nearly 30 years now.
Bought it as wreck when I came to Darwin in '81 from Adelaide.
The first 750 I bought was somewhere around 1973 from Claridge Motors in Adelaide who were a Honda and Holden (I think) dealers back then.
The bike I bought then was silver with a dark blue stripe and because it was different those colours stuck with me.
These colours apparently were only for the Japanese market and how it found it's way to Oz I don't know.
Heres a link to the Yamiya site with a nice looking one. http://www.yamiya750e.com/bike/B049a_2.jpg
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:50 am »
No worries mate, I went to school with a kid who had a silver K2, when he was 13 years old! Yep, sounds like bullsh1t I know, when I went to the Bairnsdale Tech he used to walk around with a 750/4 patch on his jacket and he told me that he'd conned his father (who was German and didn't speak English well) into buying it for him, not knowing what he'd bought. When it arrived his old man sh1t himself and locked it in the garage until he was old enough to ride it. I thought he was lying, so he took me home and showed it to me, it had 8 miles on the speedo. his previous bike that he'd "traded up" from, was an XR75..........

I didn't see him all that much (changed schools) but next time I saw him in 1979 he had a brand new CBX! He would have been barely 19 at the time...........  ;D

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:05:53 am »
My old man gave me a hard time too when he saw this big shiny thing in the driveway.  ;D
I always wanted a big nasty V8 then just to be like the rest of the boys but got told that it had to a small 4 cylinder or nothing.
Anyway, being 17 years old and full of knowledge, I got to thinking that there was no specification from my Dad on how many wheels this small 4 cylinder had to have and the rest is history.
Just like I nearly was when I arrived home with a 750 Honda.  ;D
I'm glad that I've got daughters.  ;D
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.