Author Topic: Replacing carb adjuster holders 627B  (Read 2926 times)

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
Replacing carb adjuster holders 627B
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:50:40 am »
First off, sorry for the lack of pictures in this post.  I wanted to share a trick I learned over the weekend while working on my carbs, but I don't have the brain capacity to work on carbs and work a camera! 

I have a 71 CB500 with the 627B carbs.  I pulled them off for a cleaning and inspection, and realized that one of the times I worked on them before, I broke the thin metal connectors that go between the adjuster holders.  It's the circled part by the number 26 in the exploded view.  I am not sure how crucial these little things are, but I figured anything to minimize side to side movement of the adjuster holders is good. 

So I searched our garage's stockpile of junk to see what I could come up with, and ended up using these:

These are metal wire clips about the same thickness and width as what they're replacing.  You can get them at any hardware store. 

The holes are not quite big enough, and the clips are too long.  What I did was cut them to the right length with tin snips, then "finished" the side I cut on a bench grinder.  I drilled the one hole bigger, and drilled a new hole on my "finished" side. 
So when I was done I had shiny new connectors that don't look bad at all.  They're similar in size, a little wider, but it's not something I would notice for sure.  So if any of you are as clumsy as me and broke your connectors, give it a try!
1971 CB500K

Offline magconpres

Re: Replacing carb adjuster holders 627B
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:16 pm »
Awesome!
I disassembled my cards last week and one of the POs had broken one of these and used duct tape to repair it.
1975 CB400F, stock,  on the road
1975 CB400F, ran when I parked it. Cafe Racer bound
1986 TLR200 commuter and trail bike when with the kids...90MPG!
1986 TLR200, Vintage Trials build up coming
1986 TLR200, Not sure what to do with this one...Vintage Trials Super Moto?
2004 GasGas 300EC...my enduro racer
2004 Sherco 290...Trials bike
2004 CRF70... Son's ride
2006 PW50 ... Daughter's ride
1982 XL500R (04 XR250 front end)...my DS bike.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »
I'd imagine you could run without them and be fine, but I'd bet they contribute to the two carbs each connects lifting in perfect unison.  I'm sure they help take out the slop between each pair attributable to the little ball junction on each lifter arm.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline jorwesflow

• Hot Shot
  • we're not schizophrenic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:41 pm »
give it a try!

Can i pay you to make two for me? the PO snapped one and bent the other!
1977 CB550K