Author Topic: Among the interesting things I have learned recently in life...Carb Cleaner is t  (Read 15655 times)

Offline afastman

• new-B on a mission
  • Enthusiast
Might have been long gone.  wouldn't know specifically, though.
creul, nasty, neurotic, paranoid, antisocial...but basically happy

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
OK, just walked in from playing with the 750.  Got the felt from McMaster on Friday, dang those guys are quick to ship.  I got a sheet of 1/8 and 1/16 and set about making some new seals. 

I measured the OD to be 9/16 and my largest punch is 1/2  ::) so I cut and sharpend a piece of pipe with a 9/16 ID.  Stamped out a ring of 1/8 and 1/16 to test the fit.  I pulled out the retaining ring and droped in the thicker felt but didn't like it.  The 1/8 looks ok.

I had used O-rings on two holes that had nothing in them.  The PO had taken this bike apart to "restore it" and never re-assembled.  Why two of these rings only?  Who the F@#$ knows?  When I pulled the others out they had tiny seals, similar to a fork or tachometer seal.  My 350 Four had felts, so silly me, I assumed and here I am.  It didn't look like the o-rings were wearing or having issue, so I put o-rings throughout.

Wannabe - if you still want a set of these I stamped out a set of 6 that are about 9/16 OD and 7/16 ID PM me. 

If anyone wants a piece of felt I have some of that as well.  However I'm out of the o-ring stamping biz due to lethargy, riding season, VW tuning, bathroom remodel and so on.  The cost of a few postage stamps and envelope won't break me, just let me know which thickness you want.
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
I would just make my own.
That price is ridiculous!!! It is actually criminal.
Someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

A am sure the material can be sourced.

Ok..I found out you can get this material.
It is a wool felt that is used in electric motors,disk brake dust seals and is heat proof and oil resistant.
The density is what is important. Get the dense material.
Many articles written on the subject.
You can buy it in rolls.

It just has to keep air from leaking into the carb. Matter of fact it is used in air polution filters also.

A teflon seal would work also just measure the shaft and the inside diameter of the carb recess to find the right teflon seal.

No need to make some criminal rich.

Here is a link to material. http://www.tatlee.com.my/catalog/Industrial-wool-felt/Wool-Felt-Sheet-or-Roll-Form/

Also I have teflon paste in a small jar and that can always be applied to this seal. Like I said I would just measure the diameters and get teflon seals.
End of problem.

Here are teflon oil seals:
http://www.google.com/search?q=teflon+seals&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=uPsyT-fnNYmyiQLKzcmjCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CF4Q_AUoAQ&biw=935&bih=420#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=teflon+oil+seals&pbx=1&oq=teflon+oil+seals&aq=f&aqi=g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=16279l16956l0l18717l4l4l0l0l0l0l92l337l4l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=bae5b401a5f8d3d8&biw=935&bih=420
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:50:23 pm by lucky »

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
I have a '78 750k with PDs, and my '74 350 four also has felts.  The o-rings I used are 0.070" thick which is about 1/16.  My concern is 1/8 may be too thick, but according to afastman 1/16 does not play well.  I ordered both 1/8 and 1/16 - we'll see which works.  Shipped ground, should see them middle of next week.

If they leak air then it will never run right. They must be airtight.

Offline free85

I am working on a set of carbs off of a 1978 Cb550K and I think I've gotten myself into this problem. Are these felt jobbers supposed to be the O-rings for the choke and throttle arms? I've got what looks to be small rubber O-rings on most of mine and found 2 felt washers, on the choke arm only, and only on carb 1 and 4.

If I need to replace them all is anyone still playing around with these or do I need to punch my own?

Offline free85

Well... I've been punching my own, and it's pretty well been a pain. Before I go any crazier these things go *inside* the carbs, right, in the little channel that the throttle/choke lever slides through, yes?

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
There should be a recess in the carb body that will accept the seals. On the 750, the went in from the outside, and a lip in the carb was the stop point. 

To cut them, I got a piece of pipe with the right inside diameter and filed the end sharp.  I used this to punch them out.
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline free85

That's what I thought. I've been using a filed down pipe too, but for the smaller ones I broke down and got a leather belt punch, which is working nicely.