Author Topic: All Balls head bearing question 78K  (Read 887 times)

Offline mixstup

All Balls head bearing question 78K
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:57:33 pm »
Hi shipmates! I recently got the all balls tapered head bearing set,got my freshly powdercoated frame back today,can anyone save me the bother of rooting through the garbage to measure the stack height of my fossilised races and tell me which washer to install on my 78K frame! ta
Cheers,
Mick

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: All Balls head bearing question 78K
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
you may want to just run a search of tapered roller threads and see what others have reported doing, personally I used the smaller washer under the lower bearing and all was well on my 73 750.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »
Not all steering stems are the same even for the same model, I guess wear and tear over the decades has something to do with it, save the grief and do your own measurement. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline mixstup

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »
Thanks guys, after a delve into the abyss ,I recovered my balls! and found that indeed I needed the thinner washer to match the original stack height,
Cheers

mick ;
 :D