Author Topic: I built a CB750 dual disc spoked front tonight -PICS  (Read 4735 times)

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
I built a CB750 dual disc spoked front tonight -PICS
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »
I have been poking at a CB750 dual disc front disc set up for a little while now.  I wanted to have (1) a spoked wheel (2) a solid fork brace, (3) better suspension (4) a more solid (less flexible) front suspension. 

I put one together tonight.  I basically swapped out a 1980 CB750 SuperSport's [Comstar] front forks and brakes.  (I am pretty sure these are nearly identical to a 78-79 SOHC supersport).  This one also has a beefy alloy fork brace, but it's not in the pics.  I'm sorry it is late/dark so the pics suck.  You can click the pics for a larger view:

I built the front end on the 1980's bike, just because it was easier for me.  I'll  swap it tomorrow and install the Gaffer steel braided lines and new master at that same time -- I have a big ride planned tomorrow night, so it needs to be ready by then.  It is hard to tell, but the rim, hub, spokes, rotors are all perfect.  The tire still has the nubs along the middle.  If you click and zoom in, you can see the red disc brake quiet material, and then between the caliper mounting bolts you can see the little spacer bracket I had to make to align the calipers to the rotors.  It is kind of wavy shaped.

That blue thing is my Most used tool -- my "little helper."  It is my kneeling pad.

That is the black box of my micrometer.  I used that a lot today.  On the other side of the wheel is a speedo ring gear.  I will be modding that in the morning so I can have a speedo with this setup.  Also, you can see the oil cooler that I probably am going to rob and stick on my bike.

Here is the stuff I encountered, it you want to reproduce this:
1.  First thing is I had to get the spoked wheel centered in the forks.  I had to machine a spacer/washer down to 2.4mm, and that did the job perfectly.  I also fount it easiest if I swap the speedo outlet from the left to the right side.

2.  CB550 rotors need to be used -- they are 275mm diameter.  They are 20mm smaller in diameter than a CB750, but the same diameter as the comstar dual rotors; except the Comstar rotors are 4mm thick, and the Cb750 and CB550's rotors are 6mm thick.

3.  Because the rotors are thicker, the caliper brackets had to be machined out about 3mm so the CB550 rotors would fit.  This was the most difficult part of this job.  I used an angle grinder and a hand file, and it took a few hours to get them right.

4.  Once the calipers will fit over the thicker rotors, they have to be centered.  Miraculously, I had some bar stock sitting around that was more or less EXACTLY the correct thickness to use as spacers for the calipers.  They really had to be perfect because there is so little clearance for the rotor inside the cast aluminum caliper bracket.  Each caliper's spacer needed to be 4.8mm thick; the calipers needed to be moved in (toward the middle of the wheel) 4.8mm on each side.

5.  Then there was some finish work, like trimming the calipers' stainless pad sliders and stuff like that.

While I've been thinking about it for a long time now, this project only took up about 1/3 of my day, maybe about 6 hours.  I had all the parts sitting around the workshop. 

So that's that.  Once again, the hardest part was machining/opening up the caliper brackets a little for the thicker rotors.  The rest was just me moving slow, drinking beer, and taking my time trying to figure out how to fit stuff together.

Peace and grease.
-fang

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:57:30 pm by fang »
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline Kframe

• Hot Shot
  • Life is good!
Re: I built a CB750 dual disc spoked front tonight -PICS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »
Nice job!
And the pics didn't suck that bad.
 ;)
-K
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, ARK'd, Pods, TOR's, Napoleon's, Innovate G5 Air/Fuel Gauge, Ignition Relocation by D9, Stebel Nautilus, Avon Roadriders
1984 Honda Shadow VT700c, Stock
1974 Honda CB550K, In rehab
1986 Honda Helix

Offline mutters

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:00:30 am »
Excellent!
My project list just got that little bit longer,thanks ;D
I know its only rock and roll,
but I like it...

Offline davesee

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:43:20 am »
i want to acknowledge that before a long ride you are in your garage machining parts and building a front end, even if it makes some of us look like wusses.
1980 honda cb650 with many weekends worth of modifications.

Offline Lars

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:40:17 am »
Interesting. Let us know how much better you rate your brakes to work now.

Lars
...if you got the ability to act...

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:50:49 am »
Nice Job! Did you have to thin down the brake pads?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 05:17:08 am »
Thinning the rotors and cutting the OD down are alternatives (using 750 rotors). That's what I did with that same basic set up a number of years ago now. I have the speedo drive set up too
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:56:44 am »
Mike,  I have been thinking of you recently.  I sent a friend your way --Mike Stewart -- he had/is having some cb550 work done.  Anyway, I have another 900cc big bore motor coming up, and I really want to have you do the head work.  The only limiting factor here is my complete lack of funds.  This will be on a "1969"  CR750 repro, but instead of the vintage parts in the motor, I'm bringing it up to date.

I hope to post some pics of this bike assembled later today.  I have it all basically done now except the seat.  I'll probably just have to ride on taped up foam tonight.
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:37:58 am »
Mike,  I have been thinking of you recently.  I sent a friend your way --Mike Stewart -- he had/is having some cb550 work done.  Anyway, I have another 900cc big bore motor coming up, and I really want to have you do the head work.  The only limiting factor here is my complete lack of funds.  This will be on a "1969"  CR750 repro, but instead of the vintage parts in the motor, I'm bringing it up to date.

I hope to post some pics of this bike assembled later today.  I have it all basically done now except the seat.  I'll probably just have to ride on taped up foam tonight.
I just spoke with Mike the other night. A great guy and thanks for thinking of me...I truly appreciate it. If you helicoil your hub for the rotors you can get rid of the thru bolts. I use flat head Allen metric machine screws to hold the rotor on the speedo side. You need to open the rotor bolts holes  with a 42 degree countersink for the metric flat heads to fit perfectly. A multi flute countersink is best as it self centers. You can use metric bolts on the left rotor. This set up works great with the speedo drive mod mentioned on the board.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:09 am »
Is there a difference in the width of the forks going from the SOHC to the Dohc? My brother and I drug home a wrecked 79 and tried to swap on an early front so we could roll it, the (79) was wider, so we used an 82 front end but had to swap the triples too because the 82 tubes are bigger in diameter. The lower Dohc tree was also longer in the stem than SOHC trees.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:49:27 am »
So hows this setup working?  Any more detailed pics?  I am considering doing this and a little confused on a point or two.  Like you mentioned machined out 3mm on the calipers how so?  Just not seeing it in my head.  Also is that a early 750 rim?  I am asking because I happen to have a 79 or 80 set of air forks, dual calipers, lines and master laying around and was thinking it might be a easy upgrade to my sqeeky single piston.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer