Author Topic: I got 99 problems and a coil failure is all of them.  (Read 11184 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: I got 99 problems and a coil failure is all of them.
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »
High noon will be fine!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2010, 12:52:54 am »
Shenanigans,

I wish I'd found this post earlier to help out.  That is a classic coil failure symptom.  I went through the same thing on my Willys Jeep, although I ended up rebuilding the carb... and accidentally setting the jeep on fire in my apartment complex parking lot.  That's a story for a different time though.  Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out.  Is there a place in the FAQ for this symptom/resolution?

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »
Well they got it today.

They were just as puzzled as I was because when they tested just the coil all the reading were pretty much fine. However when they stuck it on their test set up, no spark. They dont know why but at least now I know I am not going crazy.

They are sending me a replacement even though it is 4 years old. Cant beat that!
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2010, 07:25:23 pm »
It appears that Dyna does, indeed, stand behind their products. Kudos to them. The problem with the coil is probably due to an internal insulation breakdown; there is a spark happening inside the coil, shunting the spark away from the plug wires.

What's the status on the 836? :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »
That's excellent news mate, as I've said before, I've never had a problem with Dyna, and considering that they're prepared to replace your 4 year old coil, no questions asked, I'd say that they have probably the best warrenty of any after-market supplier, well done Dyna! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)