Author Topic: Lowering a CB750  (Read 13496 times)

Offline hiljak

Lowering a CB750
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
Hey guys, I'm new here but I'm really looking for a little inspiration to lower my 1971 CB750. Does anyone have any tips or pics about lowering their bikes? I'm thinking that I'd really like to slam mine.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Lowering a CB750
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:12:59 am »
Lots of coices there, will check back tonite. Tell us if you have stock (for that year) forks, and if you want to run shocks or struts on rear.
 On my 73 frame is 4 inches off the ground..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:15:46 am »
lowering the rear can be accomplished by installing shorty shocks (tasclassicmotorsports.com), by installed lowering blocks between OEM shocks and your frame or finding other, shorter shocks.  your handling charaterisitcs will change a bit, so you might consider lowering the front also.  this can be done by adding spacers inside the forks or sliding the forks up in the triples.  routing of the cables can be tricky here, especially if changing to drag bars or clip-ons.  if slamming your bike, make changes carefully/incrementally.

slamming your bike will result in the bike being more upright on the sidestand, a mod here is helpful.      

there's a lot to be considered here.  your weight, riding style, budget, impact on handling.  
searching for a dr350se

Offline hiljak

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:41:23 pm »
Lots of coices there, will check back tonite. Tell us if you have stock (for that year) forks, and if you want to run shocks or struts on rear.
 On my 73 frame is 4 inches off the ground..

I'm currently running a stock suspension set up. As far as I know the forks are stock. Rear suspension is not necessary for the type of riding I'll do on this bike. I'm more concerned with how this bike looks rather than how she takes a corner or a rough city street. I have other "rigid" bikes and I'm aware of the typical benefits and limitations. I know I can fab some rigid struts but I'd like to see how they'd look. Ideally this bike would have some "cafe style" elements but slammed...if ya know what I mean.

What all did you have to do to get the 4" clearance you have? Can you send/post pics?

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »

2" lower springs and lowering blocks. But like shoei said, theres alot to it. Mine wont be staying that way for that exact reason. Exhaust scrapes, kickstand is too long, etc.

Offline hiljak

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »

[/quote]
Whats the lug pattern on your bike is it the 4 x 100 or the 5 x 125
[/quote]

I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking.....what is meant by "lug pattern"?

Offline brycegp

• Hot Shot
    • 1971 CB750 "Mut-N-Chop" Cafe Project
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »
on my '71 CB750...i've slammed it by:

A: Rear: swapping on a '80 DOHC CB750 swingarm...2" longer and dropped the rear 1.5"
B: Front: swapping on '78 cb550F dual disc forks that have 1.5" shorter tubes and fit the '71 dual disc front wheel.

its not complete so I can't show you just yet.  the frame is getting powdercoated.  the forks are at the polisher.  wheels are being laced...blah blah blah...
1971 CB750K/F - El Toro
El Toro Build Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=73552.0

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
What exactly are looking for in a "lowered" bike?  Do you weld?

Maybe you can see what you are looking for by putting "konging" into the search at this site.

Here is a link:

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/konging/konging.html
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline hiljak

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »
What exactly are looking for in a "lowered" bike?  Do you weld?

Maybe you can see what you are looking for by putting "konging" into the search at this site.

Here is a link:

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/konging/konging.html

I tack, dont weld but I have daily access to welders I trust.

I am looking for a low cafe style bike...all of the "kong" bikes I've sen are typically "chopper" style.....I prefer the cafe style (ive already got a bobber and not excited about a CB "chopper"). I like the idea and "compactness" of a slammed cafe bike.

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »
hey, hondaface - is that a "brat" style seat?  any details on it's build?  what are those wheels?  painted lester? 
searching for a dr350se

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 04:54:20 pm »

2" lower springs and lowering blocks. But like shoei said, theres alot to it. Mine wont be staying that way for that exact reason. Exhaust scrapes, kickstand is too long, etc.

Thats a killa looking bike! Be nice if you could find a header that tucked up to the frame. CycleX has that sidewinder pipe that would look good on there. Anyway, very nice.
Jim
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »
 I have no clue about the bolt pattern you speak of..

I run a high pipe, ie , nothing below frame..

That allows me to run a a lowered front end and strutted rear.. top of tire is about at frame height (part of frame under the stock seat).

Sidestand mount is sawed off, have a stand that fits into rear peg..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 03:34:59 am »
I had plans to lower mine and I have no center stand but can't imagine a little heat and my vice wouldn't solve the side stand issue. I was thinking about starting with 2 inches and seeing what that does for me. How much is handling effected, aside from the scraping issues of pipes and pegs?

Like the look there JS550, I would think there has to be a pipe that tucks up better somewhere.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 08:25:32 am »
The sidestand is not the big problem, its the mount..sticks out about 2 inches from the frame.
dodogas99@gmail.com

motorcitypowow

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »
I also run the 2" shorter shocks with 2" lowering links in the rear, and I'm running cb550 forks on the front (of my 750) they have shorter fork legs and tubes, I believe. I installed my 750 springs in them though... Yes the side stand mount is a pain in the ass...If you hit a corner too hard and drag it right into a crack or expansion joint in the pavement, It will give you quite a jolt and may cause your rear wheel to leave the ground. You just gotta watch it. I never got around to modifying it or relocating it...

Offline brycegp

• Hot Shot
    • 1971 CB750 "Mut-N-Chop" Cafe Project
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »
I also run the 2" shorter shocks with 2" lowering links in the rear, and I'm running cb550 forks on the front (of my 750) they have shorter fork legs and tubes, I believe. I installed my 750 springs in them though... Yes the side stand mount is a pain in the ass...If you hit a corner too hard and drag it right into a crack or expansion joint in the pavement, It will give you quite a jolt and may cause your rear wheel to leave the ground. You just gotta watch it. I never got around to modifying it or relocating it...

got pics of your bike?

I also am using 550 forks on my 750.  but I lengthened the swingarm to lower the back instead of using the lowering blocks.  I suppose I could throw on shortie shocks and get it even lower...but my cafe tail is gonna get in the way if I get it too low.
1971 CB750K/F - El Toro
El Toro Build Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=73552.0

Offline hiljak

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:12 pm »
has anyone got a close up pic of the "lowering blocks for the rear?

Offline hiljak

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »
nevermind (on the pics).......i realize that the search function is my friend...I found some good close up pics of the blocks using the search function.

chevynova72

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:28 pm »
js550
does that shock setup sag much when you sit on the bike. I ask because I would like to use the same setup to lower my 550, as apposed to hard tail or struts, but would like to be able to take the girlfriend with me from time to time. together we are around 300 pounds. just worried about bottoming out on the tire. thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:35:15 am by chevynova72 »