Author Topic: The Damn CB650 ignition  (Read 12437 times)

426hemi

The Damn CB650 ignition
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:01 pm »
   Sorry, folks.  Allow me to introduce myself.  I'm a 47 year old auto mechanic.  I've been working on cars for over 20 years, worked in a Honda dealership for 6 years.  When it comes to the things I love, I'm a picky SOB.  I want things perfect.
   I bought a CB650 on ebay a couple of years ago.  It was "lovingly restored" by a "retired engineer".  It looked shiny and new- so I paid more for it than the damn bike cost new.  The so-called "engineer" was a butcher. I was working on the thing the first week I had it home.
   Now understand, I REGRET NONE OF THIS.  I'm a man that is old enough to know better.  I messed up.  It certainly won't be my last mistake in life.  My problem is with the ignition system on this motorcycle.  The ignitor is made by OKI, a company that I am very familiar with from working on Honda automobiles.  MANY of this company's ignition products go (literally) hundreds of thousands of miles.  SOME of this company's ignition products barely go around the block.  To those of you "in the know", my CB650 ignitor has been reduced to the familiar "black goo" and behaves very erratically, when at all.
   I've corresponded with Mark ("Hondaman"), thoroughly researched the subject on THIS forum, and turned the internet inside-out in an attempt to find the BEST METHOD OF REPLACING THIS CRAP IGNITION SYSTEM WITH ONE THAT IS RELIABLE.  Any PROVEN, additional input would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank You.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: The Damn CB650 ignition
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »
Sorry, I personally can't help with your problem. I can, however, welcome you to a wonderful forum.

Scott (413 wedge)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »
Welcome to the forum (our own little slice of Hell) ;D
I presume you have an 82 CB650 as the older models did not seem to suffer from this problem but having also owned an 82 Custom 650 I feel your pain. :)
Some guys on here have resorted to making their own ignitors once the black tar like stuff ran out of the originals.
Check out the FAQs area for more information on replacement options.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:47:28 am »
I've been searching for upgrades for our ignition and this seems to be the best bet so far:

http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/CBheiModCavCoil.html
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

426hemi

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:07:57 pm »
   Pin,
   Sorry for the delayed reply.  I was disappointed at the lack of response to this thread and basically started ignoring it.  I should've figured that the only guy who had posted (specifically about 1980's electronic ignitions) would be the best path to a solution.  There is a similar post concerning the "GM solution" that Marc (Hondaman) responded to, but I dismissed this alternative (for the most part) because of his response.
   First, thanks for a solution. 
   Second, do you and HM think it is THE solution ?  It has a LOT of appeal to an auto mechanic- even more so when you consider the availability of Chevrolet Cavalier ignition components.  If you have any ideas for improvement to this design, I would certainly appreciate them.  After I get the mechanics of placement, heat sink, harness routing, etc..  I will post the results. 
   For the record, I had nearly convinced myself that the Pazon ignitors were the only legitimate way to address this problem based on the scarcity of useful information and several contacts with Dyna customer service.  That's right, just a tick south of $300. The "GM alternative" will cost me less than a hundred- for parts I can find locally. 
THANK YOU.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:19 pm »
If it works it works....let us know how you get on as this is a constant problem for 650 owners. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:18:57 pm »
I'm torn between using the GM modules for my 650 project, or going fully programmable. I want vacuum advance to help with part throttle performance and gas mileage.

Here's the programmable unit that I'm considering, though I don't yet know if it is compatible with our pickup coils and am awaiting a reply to my inquiry. :)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.

Offline cb650PK

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »
The black GU oozing ignitors were featured on whole line of CB Hondas, so there is plenty to choose from on EBay.(dohc CB 750,900 and I don't know what else)
S CB750 na vecne casy a nikdy jinak.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
The black GU oozing ignitors were featured on whole line of CB Hondas, so there is plenty to choose from on EBay.(dohc CB 750,900 and I don't know what else)

'79-'86 CB 550, 650, 750, 900, 1000, 1100, CX's, and I believe GL's. :)
Doug

Offline cb650PK

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »
At least they used the same color gu as the air box upon which it ends up on. That was thoughtfull of them.
S CB750 na vecne casy a nikdy jinak.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:49:29 pm »
the ignitors still work after the goo has melted out.  I don't think that's the main problem though.  The early 80s CB ignitions were all hatefully designed with the intention of frustrating and irritating the owners.    I'm going to just watch this thread because I'm still picking through a problem where my bike acts as if the battery is low when it's hot and won't spin the starter motor fast enough to start, even when batt. voltage is 12.7, lights are bright, and she starts right up after 5-10 minutes.  I guess only a lucky few get that 650 problem, but I have yet to see a 550 or 750 have it, so it must just be us.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

426hemi

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »
   Pin,
   Getting back to your 650 project/ IgniTech:  Vacuum advance??!  Doesn't the mechanical advance satisfy any partial throttle/mileage issues ?  I'm not familiar with your project, so let me apologize in advance.
   The reason that I'm psyched about the GM ignitor is that I can make it "plug and play".  In other words, I can easily stow another Hei module with some dielectric grease in the event of failure at the worst possible time.  Because, as I'm sure you know, THAT is the time when Oki ignitors are likely to fail....

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:53:54 pm »
Pinhead is our resident incurable tinkerer.  He and Soos are incredibly good at what they do. :D
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

426hemi

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:12 pm »
   Kit,
   Check your spark timing (ignition) with a timing light.  Either spark or cam timing that is out of adjustment can cause "hot start" issues.  If this is the bobber project bike that you sorted out in a prior thread- there is NO DOUBT in my mind that you will find the problem. 
   As for the Oki ignitors:  Once melted, they work normally IF YOU ARE LUCKY.  I used all of my luck on my first marriage.  One of my ignitors, like the first wife, works occasionally, if at all.  Like the first wife, I plan on getting rid of it.  On second thought, that sounds a bit mean-spirited, so allow me to say that the ten years that I got out of that Oki ignitor were the best ten years of my life !

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:59 pm »
If the timing is advanced too much then yep, Kit. :)
Doug

426hemi

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:09 pm »
   Kit,
   Wow.  This IS the bobber project.  Maybe I should go back and read it again.  Here is my take:  You need to load-test the battery stone cold, then load-test it again after engine is hot.  This will tell you if your charging system is working or not-period.  Then, you need to measure your starter draw with the engine cold- and measure it again with the engine hot.  A cold engine should have a higher starter draw than a warm one.  Let us say, for the sake of argument, that your engine has a higher starter draw when warm.  What can cause this ?  a dead cylinder.  Check your exhaust pipe temperatures when running (inductive probe).  A cold(er) pipe means you have a 3-cylinder with one cylinder that is very wet with fuel.  Fuel is not compressible, and wet cylinders can cause slow cranking.  The aforementioned spark timing can cause this no start, lest we forget "The Damn CB650 ignition"- ignition modules might also drop-out after reaching a higher temperature.  Are we having fun, yet ?

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:24:25 pm »
well. it's not a bobber, but yeah... the testing shall continue.  I can about guarantee nothing's going to be wet with fuel, these bikes run pretty lean all the way around.  I know when Raven was working on my bike he decided to advance the timing rather arbitrarily... so that's where I'm starting as soon as I have some light to work by. Sorry for hijacking your thread.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:25:12 pm »
If the timing is advanced too much then yep, Kit. :)
1+ Does the starter seem to turn slowly, yet evenly, or does it "buck", the motor turns, then slows, then turns? Hard to describe, but the latter is what advanced timing sounds like.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
Advanced timing will also increase idle speed.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »
:P
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »
I bet your advance weights are hanging up
I like berries.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 12:20:36 am »
Kit, did you check the starter motor armature segmented ends for clear separation?
It sounds more like a starter motor problem than anything else!
As you replaced the carbon pick-ups the only other part to fal would be the copper end part of the armature.
I can't remember, did you try the starter motor off Samson?

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 10:56:41 am »
Isn't this thread supposed to be about alternate options for the CB650 ignition??? ::)
Doug

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 11:11:32 am »
yup. sorry again for the hijack.  I'll do static timing and put the results on the hot-start thread.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 11:18:02 am »
Called out by a pinhead.   ;D ;D
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker