Author Topic: '79 Honda XL250S...headlight circuit problem  (Read 9301 times)

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
'79 Honda XL250S...headlight circuit problem
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:44 am »
Hi everyone...looking for help with my new '79 Honda XL250S...she's in great shape (4,000 miles) and I have everything in working order except for the headlight.  The old headlight just worked on high beam.  So I bought I new headlight, installed, and nothing...check the new headlight by hooking directly to the small 6V battery and it works fine.

Checked for continuity as instructed in other posts here related to my 750 and there is continuity.  Checked for voltage on the same circuits and found almost none.

I've been working my way back through the circuits and its really hit and miss on voltage at the major 6 or 8 prong connectors.  Same with continuity...should there be voltage and continuity on all connection or just when I check between certain wires...I know, this maybe an impossible question to answer with a wiring diagram...which I have...I'm just at a loss on electrical issues.

The battery is giving off 6V as its suppose...that much I can check...maybe I'll work my way forward and see what i find...any tips would be greatly appreciated...thx, ron.
Making the world a better place, one motorcycle at a time.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: '79 Honda XL250S...headlight circuit problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:40 am »
I think the headlight runs direct from the generator not off the battery
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:22 am »
My only other guess would be the switch.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:27:53 pm »

...some pics...have a wiring diagram i will scan and post soon.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »
Its a POS you need to give it to me   ;D ;D    No very nice looking.  I used to have a 79 185.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:58 pm »
Lol, yes she is...its funny the more you buy these things, the better you get at selecting a good one.

I've attached a visual and per Bill's email, have a lead...no pun intended

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:57:29 pm »
Yes it has a battery,rectifier etc BUT the headlamp does not usually run from those only the brake light, horn and indicators
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:32:55 am »
Yep, Bill gave the heads up over the weekend after reviewing the wiring diagram (thanks bill again)...the alternator has to be turning for the headlight to be powered...soooooo, she works, well, the high beam at least, the cheap new headlight's low beam blew out again (wasn't working on the old bulb either)...but I have a high beam headlight in cased in a new headlight shell (the old one was cracked)...so I'm quite happy...thanks all.

The only significant problem is the turn signals.  When I bought the bike a couple months ago, the seller or PO had taken the front and rear turn signals off...probably cuz one was cracked.  I replaced the lens on the signal and reinstalled and re-wired.  On the cracked, left rear signal, the ground wire was also missing so I replaced the metal o-ring onto a ground wire and re-attached.  The problem is they don't blink.  When I flip the switch for the left lights, front and rear, light up but don't blink....same with the right ones.  So, I bought a proper signal relay for the Honda dealer but still no luck.

...any ideas?...thx, ron.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:13:41 am »
Check the voltage at the battery as blinkers wont unless battery is good and well charged---It dont charge well on the bike as its not a big charging coil.

As to the headlamp check the voltage with the engine running NOTE:----SET THE METER TO AC FOR THIS TEST. I had to fit heavy duty resistors in parallel on a 185 to stop the voltage climbing and blowing bulbs ALSO make sure you fit the original wattage type bulb as you cant alter these without problems. Switch is also odd as it turns on both beams first then one off as you go from low to high rather than one off then other on as this also stops the voltage climbing to excess

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:51 am »
Ah, thx Brian...I have a small trickle charger on it now.

My replacement headlight came from Thailand so goodness knows if it was the right wattage...for now, I rely on the high beam which i have pointed down so as not to blind anyone but its a pretty small light as you know anyways.

The turn signals bug me a bit but I'll fully charge and try again.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:20 am »
Will still need engine running even with charged battery

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:10 am »
Well, left the smal 6V battery on my small trickle charger to long and burnt it's little brains out apparently...replaced the fuse but still no continuity between the poles...time for a new battery i guess?...darn.  Funny though, how can I get a voltage reading from the battery (around 6.3V) but no continuity?...either way, its definitely no longer provide a spark cuz the bike won't start.

...thx, for the heads up on the engine running. for the turn signals blinking.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:32 am »
I've got the same bike(not as shiny) doesn't have lights so no battery, still starts.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:46 am »
Well, i replaced the battery ($20) and she starts today so maybe a coincidence? but I'll be paying close attention to how she does over the next couple weeks...no more fixing for awhile, just test riding.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:59:45 am »
enjoy it, if you get the chance try a 23inch front, helps us older guys stay on.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:44 am »
yep, it has a brand new knobby 23" front and 18" back...looks like your riding a mini-chopper or something

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 02:04:12 pm »
Another question...after running great, I'm developing a hard starting problem...checked the spark plug and replaced, gas flow, check, air filter clean...i just kick and kick...and she doesn't "catch"...oh, and replaced the battery I thought I burned out by overcharging...now I'm starting to wonder...there is a crack, a physical crack on the plastic housing of the ignition coils???...what do you think...I'm checking everything again tonight...its been really cold year but still, doesn't sound like the problem...let me know..thx all...ron.

Offline ron.cieri.313

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »
quick update...not an electrical problem at all...at least with regards to cold starting...that was a choke problem!.  The cable with pulls on the choke arm must not have been closing the choke all the way...cuz when i do it manually, she starts, no probs.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm during the investigation got the better of me and i yanked on the cable to hard and jammed the little plunger mechanism on top...ah well, i know what the problem is now and new cable on the way.