Author Topic: '72 CB500/4 : Project WTF was I thinking!? ...Time for some updates!  (Read 49395 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
 For years, I was into air cooled VW's. Did many a show car as well as daily drivers. A few years ago I got into Yamaha XS650's and have built several, including bobbers and cafe' racers as well as stockers.
 I had just sold a bunch of toys and made room in my garage for my '75 XS650B project when a co-worker let slip that he had an old Honda he "really should get rid of". Parked since 1982 when the top triple tree clamp broke, it has a good title, spins over and is fairly complete....all for the bargain price of $300.
 When I got it home I realized it wasn't in as good of shape as I had hoped/anticipated. Nothing I can't overcome. I was just hoping for a "quickie" project for once. Hence the "Project WTF" moniker.  ;)
 Here's how it looked right after we pulled it off the truck and I gave it a hose down in the driveway.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:48:30 am by Scott S »
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: '72 CB500/4 : Project WTF was I thinking!?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:05 am »
 Yesterday, when I got to a stopping point on my XS, I pulled the CB out in the driveway and gave it a good, proper washing. I removed the homemade highway pegs and scrubbed down all the chrome with 0000 steel wool and Windex. Shined up pretty good for an initial cleaning.
 The wheels and fenders, etc., should all clean up real nice with a soft rag and chrome polish now.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:45:23 am »
 The keys I have match the ignition but don't match the seat lock. I'm working on getting a set made, but in the meantime I removed the hinge bolts and loosened the latch so I could remove the seat (which I promptly latched again when I pushed the bike back in the garage. DOH!).
 Looks like some critters had made a home in there. There was a nice little stash of acorns under the filter, too.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:48:13 am »
 Forgot to mention: I removed about half a pound of Carolina dirt from between the fins. Dirt dobbers had made a home in there sometime in the past 28 years.
 I removed the ape hangers and slapped on a set of Yamaha bars I had laying around. Looks better already, IMO.
 The wiring in the controls had been hacked up a little bit. I think I can salvage it, though.

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:33 am »
 I have to finish my Yamaha first, but plans are to get it running and stopping, as well as cleaning up the wiring in the switch gear.
 I'm going to recover the seat myself. The pan is fine and the foam is actually still very soft.
 I need to source some side covers and do something about the paint one of these days.

Oh, I forgot to mention....there's still 28 year old gas in the tank, as well and some really funky iron oxide life forms!  :D But it's actually pretty solid and smooth underneath it all. I'll clean and seal the tank eventually.

I'm thinking a neat little street bomber. Super Bike type bars, maybe some fork boots. Single color paint job. 4 into 1 header. Then just ride the snot out of it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:47:25 am by Scott S »
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

CaliCafe

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:24 am »
I'm working on the wiring myself.  I have to replace it all though, waiting on parts.  There was no salvaging.  Tons on wires were just cut and the ignition and kill switch were shot.  I'm real interested to see how your bike comes along.  I'm sure you will finish before me.  My seat pan is rusted and has no lock.  :(

Offline horror

• Maxwell Paternoster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
Has that been Slammed at the rear with a lowering kit of some sort?

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »
Has that been Slammed at the rear with a lowering kit of some sort?

I have no idea. I'm new to the CB's. I can measure the shocks later on. Probably just worn out stockers!
 I'm making a list of parts I need and plan to start collecting bits and pieces soon. I'll update as soon as there's anything interesting to show off.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:47:11 am »
 You know, I noticed today that the bike has lowering links on the rear. That's why it's so low. I hadn't even noticed! I'm tall, but my girlfriend may end up riding this bike some as well, so I'll have to decide whether or not to leave them on.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

traveler

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:52:42 am »
Personally, I think it's a cool bike!

Find some side covers, and clean her up a tad, and enjoy!

~Joe

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:53 am »
Looks like a pretty good start.  ;)
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Caaveman82

• Zippo
  • Master
  • That'll do pig. That'll do.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:06 am »
You have your work cut out for you that is for sure. Don't worry though, it's never as bad as it seems.

Keep up the good work.
Do not act as though you could kill time without injuring eternity. - Dave Thoreau

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:31 am »
 I ordered some Super Bike bars because, in a weird way, that's one of the first things I need! As soon as they're here I plan on cleaning up the wiring in the controls and getting it wired back up. Can't even attempt to start it without the kill switch and wiring in order, right?
 I also have a new clutch and throttle cable on the way.

I'm thinking change the plugs, oil and filter. Clean the carbs. Adjust the valves and cam chain tension. Squirt a little oil on the cam (I guess I can do that through the valve adjustment windows?). Replace some old fuel lines. Set the points gap and throw in a spare battery and see if she'll run.
 WHEN she runs...I just know she will...I'll look into upgrading the ignition (coils, wires, possibly a points replacement) and changing the exhaust.

I plan on starting on the tank this week.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:04 am »
You might check out the Hondaman transistorized ignition.

I have 4 of them and would recommend them.

Bit cheaper and more versatile then the electronic ones.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:47:33 am »
 Worked on the tank some the other day. This is what 28 year old gas looks like. There was heavy, flaky rust on the top part of the tank that wasn't covered with fuel.
 I promptly took this to my local watershed and poured it on some baby ducklings.  ;)

The bad part is, after I got the tank emptied out I could see daylight through it. There's a small hole behind the badge mount. Too big for Redkote to seal and inaccessible for repair. That sucks because the tank is other wise straight and solid.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:32 am »
 I pulled the carbs yesterday. I had originally planned on keeping the stock airbox and running a K&N or Emgo filter, but the boots on the airbox tore when I was removing the carbs. I could maybe make it seal, but that sorta helped me make up my mind to just go ahead and run pods.

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:53 am »
 This is what happens when you don't drain your float bowls, folks. This stuff was thick and sticky...like glue or some type of super molasses.
 Two of the slides were stuck, but a little carb cleaner and some gentle prying with a small screwdriver and they freed right up.

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 05:57:08 am »
 I tried the Simple Green method. I used a teapot of nearly boiling water plus about another gallon of really hot tap water. I guess the ratio was about 2.5:1 water to Simple Green.
 I set the kitchen timer for 25 minutes. Every now and then I'd go out and gentle slosh the container or tap on both sides for a bit to make some "seismic activity".
 This worked great! Some gentle scrubbing with a toothbrush and the carb bodies and linkage came out really nice. The float bowls and mains took a little work with some carb cleaner.
 All jets and passages are now open, slides move freely, needle valves work, etc.
 I was hoping to not have to de-rack, but I'm going to pull the two end carbs off so I can replace the balance hoses. That'll make it easier to install the fuel line, too.
 After pics coming soon!
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »
 And the "After" pics. I was even able to re-use the genuine fuel line covering.

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 01:05:06 pm »
 Tried to get the left side cover off so I could remove the clutch cable and, wouldn't you know it, ONE screw wouldn't budge. PB Blaster, an impact wrench, a driver....you name it. (I beat the SNOT out of my left thumb using the hand held impact driver...Ow.)
 Finally laid the bike over and drilled the head of the screw until we could knock it around with a screw driver. Glad my Dad stopped by or I'd still be out there.

We eventually freed the engine from the frame, even though that wasn't the initial goal for the day.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:06:35 pm »
 I also scored a sweet deal on a tank and side covers. Cap, petcock and emblems included, all for $100!

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »
 The tank's clean as a whistle inside. I can't decide if I want to paint it and make it nice or just rat-bike this thing. The satin black is kinda cool, too. Looks like it was painted over the metallic orange color. Wonder if there's a way to strip the black and run the patina'd original paint?
 What's up with this gas cap? It's a vented cap and everything's in great shape except for the plastic center. What was there originally and is there a way to replace or restore it?
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »
 I also picked up a nice set of guages (only really needed the tach cover, but the price was right and they're in better shape than mine) and a really nice seat from the same place as the tank/side covers. This puts me way ahead of the game when it comes to reassembly time.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »
Looks like it's gonna be a fun little project...just the bit you've done so far makes it a much better looking bike than the one you had in the first shot.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »
 Thanks! I adjusted the valves and squirted a little oil on the tappets, set the points, drained the oil and changed the filter, and changed three of the spark plugs. I'm going to need a different spark plug socket for #3!
 Once I get that done, just top off the oil and see if she'll run....once it's all back together of course....
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650