Author Topic: Wet Spark Plug [ Now Carb Tuning/ Plug Chop Thread]  (Read 3776 times)

Offline campbmic

• Sea-Foam and Flaming 151 is a dam good
  • Hot Shot
Wet Spark Plug [ Now Carb Tuning/ Plug Chop Thread]
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:07 pm »
I recently took my carbs off, reset all of the float heights, and bench synched them with the light method. I did this because I was having some smoking, popping, and a few flat spots on my throttle. After I reinstalled the carbs I took the bike for a test ride around the block. I could quickly tell it wasnt running very well. When I got back home #1 was cold. I pulled the float bowl and there was no gas in it, all the others had gas. I took off the float and reset the tang and it flowed. I'm not for sure if it was a stuck float pin or the float was to low.

Anyways, now all of my sparkplugs look pretty good except for #1 which is wet with gas. I'm not leaking any gas out of the overflow tube. So what would cause this condition? I know it means that the cylinder is running too rich but I tried messing with the air mixture screw and that doesnt help at all. Would the next thing be to adjust the slide height?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:36:43 pm by campbmic »
Its hard to be wrong when you know nothing!

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
Re: Wet Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »
My guess would be if I had a wet plug, that I was not buring the fuel - i.e. the plug was naffed. Swap it out. Check for a spark on the cylinder by putting a good plug in that cap and leaving it out, suspended against the block/head and turn your engine.

Offline campbmic

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:31:59 pm »
Oh ya sorry, the plug is good I've swapped it out

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:22 pm »
Check your float height with a clear plastic tube screwed in the drain screw hole, that will tell you your gas level, should be even across the carbs. That will tell you what is actually going on.

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline campbmic

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:37 pm »
If there ism't enough gas to start leaking out of my overflow tube then wouldnt that mean that there is no reason for a wet plug besides running to rich?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »
If the fuel level in the bowls is higher than it should be, the motor will run richer, even if it isn't so high that it runs out the over-flow. You started with a dry floatbowl, bent the tab on the float, and started fouling #1 plug. Check the fuel level, with a clear plastic tube replacing the over-flow tube, WITH the drain screw open!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline campbmic

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:34:41 pm »
I pulled my bowl again to find that the idle jet (screw in one) had come out. I screwed it back in and viola! All of my sparkplugs are reading pretty uniform. All cylinders are equally hot when running the bike.

My bike is a 75 550K1 with MAC 4-1 and EMGO pods. I took the bike out for a test ride trying to synch my carbs up. I found the two following choke positions that my bike runs good in. Also, my needle is in stock position.

Choke 1/2 way open-
Spark plugs look pretty much perfect and bike pulls great up to about 6k. At 6k it starts to bog down and die.

Choke All the way open-
Spark plugs are white (lean) the bike pulls pretty good and will pull past 6k I havent tried to redline it because Im afraid the lean condition will really harm the bike.

So what does this mean?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:38:43 pm by campbmic »

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: Wet Spark Plug [ Now Carb Tuning/ Plug Chop Thread]
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:40:19 pm »
Pods, you'll have to experiment with probably larger jet sizes and needle adjustments and plug chop each change.\

Fun, huh?

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline campbmic

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:49:34 pm »
Not fun :(

Im thinking my first step is to play with the needle position would I move it up one position to run richer?

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
Choose your main jet first then adjust needle position.   There is a good amount of overlap and the best results will be gotten from sorting out the main jet first and then adjusting the needle position accordingly.  Main jets should be tested at Wide Open Throttle and with a proper plug chop.  Search this forum and online for chop techniques and how to properly read the plugs. . . .Its not easy BTW . . . 

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »
here's a nice link for all on reading plugs.... :-*

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »
here's a nice link for all on reading plugs.... :-*

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

Actually these types of charts are not really applicable to reading spark plugs for plug chop type carb tuning.  They require that the plugs have been used for miles of service and they only give you an overall sense of the mix.  They won't tell you for instance that your main jet is too large but your main jet needle position is set too lean.  They also don't compare so well to plugs colored by engines running on fuels with ethanol added.  Performing a plug chop for main jet sizing requires starting with a warmed up engine, installing new plug(s), bringing the bike quickly up to the top gear ranges and holding the throttle wide open for a good 10-20 seconds, followed by pulling in the clutch, hitting the kill switch and coming to a stop.  The plug then needs to be examined for the carbon ring deep inside the well where the porcelain meets the metal of the plug.  Flashlight and magnifying glass will likely be required or you can cut the plug with a grinder to see what you get.  Here's a few links for consideration . . . . www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html , , http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html ,  and a final one with some different approaches http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

The strappe.com one is particularly good.  Read towards the end for reading for main jet / mixture.  Like I said before, it's not a particularly easy process.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:44:03 pm by eurban »

Offline campbmic

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »
Whats a good source for cheap main jets?